Week 9 GDT: Colts @ Raiders

NYRaider

Who wins?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Winner?

• Raiders
    • Colts

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

What does kick return background have to do with reverses? The team under Gruden had the same issues, we'd start hot when we were using the game script and then just go ultra conservative and let teams back into the game. 

Nothing. Adams is a YAC player with good open field awareness. If Kolton Miller doesn't whiff his block, he picks up 10-20 yards and this is a moot point. 

This dude will do anything to push narrative. Mind you some of Gruden/Olsen's bonehead play calls. See 4th and goal in the playoffs with 4 routes short of the end zone and your target is Zay Jones. 

10 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Nothing. Adams is a YAC player with good open field awareness. If Kolton Miller doesn't whiff his block, he picks up 10-20 yards and this is a moot point. 

This dude will do anything to push narrative. Mind you some of Gruden/Olsen's bonehead play calls. See 4th and goal in the playoffs with 4 routes short of the end zone and your target is Zay Jones. 

We’re currently scoring more and allowing less ppg this season then we did last year lol

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

We’re currently scoring more and allowing less ppg this season then we did last year lol

Exactly.... and offensively, the group of skill positions we were so excited about played 60 snaps together. So the "we have more talent" argument kinda fizzles when they were never on the field together. 

Every play caller will have some questionable calls. But the team is scoring points and been in every game but one. And that's with Carr either regressing or being uncomfortable in the system.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Texans, Steelers, Chargers, Giants, and Vikings are all games they have a chance to win. 

I know that I have posted a response already. But I didn't have all my thoughts together.

If I were any HC that had the Colts on my schedule, I would treat that game like my life depended on it. The Colts game would be circled on my calender. I would want to know the tendencies of every player including those on the practice squad. I would watch film of every Colts game for things they do well and game plan to take those things away. I would look for any and every weakness they have including little things. I would game plan more diligently than if I was coaching the Superbowl. It would be an embarrassment to lose to the Colts for any reason. My reputation as a coach is on the line. So I not only have to beat them, I have to blow them out if possible.

18 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

I know that I have posted a response already. But I didn't have all my thoughts together.

If I were any HC that had the Colts on my schedule, I would treat that game like my life depended on it. The Colts game would be circled on my calender. I would want to know the tendencies of every player including those on the practice squad. I would watch film of every Colts game for things they do well and game plan to take those things away. I would look for any and every weakness they have including little things. I would game plan more diligently than if I was coaching the Superbowl. It would be an embarrassment to lose to the Colts for any reason. My reputation as a coach is on the line. So I not only have to beat them, I have to blow them out if possible.

You act like the Colts are the worst team in NFL history, lol. If Taylor is healthy he's arguably the best RB in the league and they have a very stout defense 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

You act like the Colts are the worst team in NFL history, lol. If Taylor is healthy he's arguably the best RB in the league and they have a very stout defense 

Their HC, Jeff Saturday, has no coaching experience, and was just hired this week. No coach can afford to lose to him, especially this weekend. The overall team talent doesn't really matter in this case.

2 minutes ago, Steins Gate said:

Their HC, Jeff Saturday, has no coaching experience, and was just hired this week. No coach can afford to lose to him, especially this weekend. The overall team talent doesn't really matter in this case.

They retained the majority of their coaching staff so in reality how much different are things going to be?

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I always found comeback wins to be a hilarious stat. Give me the QB who can protect a lead to begin with. Stafford is another guy known for comeback wins with the Lions who always gave up leads. 

bulk stats go to the people with the most opportunities. 
Raiders and lions during their careers were terrible, so every game is an opportunity for a comeback win essentially. 

Good teams, put bad teams away early. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

They retained the majority of their coaching staff so in reality how much different are things going to be?

I don't think you understand the intangible part of this. Jeff Saturday has to win over both the players AND the coaches. At least 2 of the coaches on that staff are former HCs. More than likely, those guys believe that they should've gotten that HC position. That could potentially cause rifts or resentment. We haven't heard anything about that yet but it's early.

The players likely believe that Saturday is Irsay's buddy. That could cause problems too.

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Exactly.... and offensively, the group of skill positions we were so excited about played 60 snaps together. So the "we have more talent" argument kinda fizzles when they were never on the field together. 

Every play caller will have some questionable calls. But the team is scoring points and been in every game but one. And that's with Carr either regressing or being uncomfortable in the system.

I rewatched the game. Carr missed some throws in the 4th for sure, but the amount of pressure the OL was allowing was incredibly bad. Literally unblocked/free rushers on almost every play. Can't necessarily put OL execution on McDaniels, but the group played incredibly bad. I would definitely give McDaniels next year, because everyone has been playing mediocre at best outside of Adams/Jacobs.