2022 Heisman Talk

beekay414

5 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Illinois isn't trash. Maybe not great, but they're still average at absolute worst. I would say they're above average though. 

Still, those three you named are better than every team in the PAC12 except USC (only for Penn State). I'm not going to say "if Team A beats Team F, then Player G wins the Heisman" bc we know it's a stat trophy. They need to win and put up stats. IMO, it's Caleb's to lose bc he's got an easier test. Michigan's defense is pretty damn good so I'm not expecting CJ to have great numbers. 

Notre Dame's defense is no slouch either so I don't necessarily agree with the "he has an easier test" whatsoever.

Illinois is nothing. They're 7-4 with losses to Indiana and Purdue. We also have no idea if Penn State is better than the rest of the top Pac 12 teams because they haven't played anyone outside of Michigan and Ohio State and both games they showed they didn't belong. There's no way we can definitively say that Penn State's better than anyone. I would hope that the #2 and #3 team in the country are better than the rest of the Pac 12. 

I'm not going to stoop to SEC level and pretend that the B1G's 4 loss teams are anything other than mediocre. Illinois is tough to play against due to their style (basically like Wisconsin used to be under Bert) but they're not good yet. Same with Iowa. The rest of the conference? Yeah, buttwater. 

Edited by beekay414

9 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I'm not going to stoop to SEC level and pretend that the B1G's 4 loss teams are anything other than mediocre. Illinois is tough to play against due to their style (basically like Wisconsin used to be under Bert) but they're not good yet. Same with Iowa. The rest of the conference? Yeah, buttwater. 

Penn State isn’t bad. 

Just now, beekay414 said:

I didn't say they were

I think they’re a tier above mediocre. I think that they’re somewhere in the 10-20 range nationally. Defense is good, running game is respectable, Clifford is just good enough to string drives together and bad enough to be a meme.

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think they’re a tier above mediocre. I think that they’re somewhere in the 10-20 range nationally. Defense is good, running game is respectable, Clifford is just good enough to string drives together and bad enough to be a meme.

I think they're a good team. It's more about the other 11 teams in the conference. Just don't feel there's any way anyone can definitively say that the B1G is better than the Pac 12 this year. Sure, the bottom 5 teams in the Pac are bad but so are the bottom 5 teams in the B1G. Unless we want to argue that 3 teams with 4 and 5 (x2) losses in the middle makes the B1G better by default, then whatever. Or just the top heaviness to the B1G.

Edited by beekay414

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

If USC wins out, Caleb Williams deserves it. The Maye train died last night.

I'd probably tend to agree.  If CJ Stroud has a huge game against Michigan, I think that'd put him as the favorite.  You have to wonder if USC playing late night games is going to come back to hurt him.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

I think they're a good team. It's more about the other 11 teams in the conference. Just don't feel there's any way anyone can definitively say that the B1G is better than the Pac 12 this year. Sure, the bottom 5 teams in the Pac are bad but so are the bottom 5 teams in the B1G. Unless we want to argue that 3 teams with 4 and 5 (x2) losses in the middle makes the B1G better by default, then whatever. Or just the top heaviness to the B1G.

That’s unfair. USC and UCLA are B1G teams. This is an outrage. Meanwhile, Texas and Oklahoma are really hurting the SEC credibility. It’s science.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I'd probably tend to agree.  If CJ Stroud has a huge game against Michigan, I think that'd put him as the favorite.  You have to wonder if USC playing late night games is going to come back to hurt him.

Williams has a chance to steal some Midwest voters if he can ball out vs Notre Dame in a rivalry game himself. Both Stroud and Williams have a chance to put their stamps on the Heisman. Williams also may have a chance at another big time performance vs another highly ranked team assuming Oregon beats Oregon State next week. Stroud gets, most likely, Purdue or Iowa in the B1G title game if they beat Michigan.

Edited by beekay414

These awards are about name recognition. CJ Stroud has good numbers but there are guys who are maybe better deserving. Just like a lot of the national awards that’ll be won.  No slight to him, if he goes out there and has a legendary performance and carries Ohio State over top of Michigan, sure, he deserves it. 

1 minute ago, NateDawg said:

These awards are about name recognition. CJ Stroud has good numbers but there are guys who are maybe better deserving. Just like a lot of the national awards that’ll be won.  No slight to him, if he goes out there and has a legendary performance and carries Ohio State over top of Michigan, sure, he deserves it. 

Caleb Williams and USC don't have name recognition?

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

And about 250 yards rushing (so 750 total yards) while also carrying a much worse team on his back but nvm about that.

And how the hell do we know the Pac 12 is worse than the B1G this year? Outside of Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State, the B1G is trash.

Caleb is throwing to NFL WRs too

Also, you can’t just shrug off those 3 teams. That’s like saying the SEC sucks without Alabama, Georgia, and LSU.