Chargers waive former 1st round pick Jerry Tillery; claimed by Raiders

kramxel

41 minutes ago, Leoric said:

Has to be more to this. He wasn’t bad. Just never lived up to the pick he was taken at.  Has to be some off the field issue that played into this.  

Weren't there pre draft questions about just how into playing football he was? Then some analyst gave a big speech about how his outside interests should be applauded, in effort to shame his detractors or something.

IDK I could be misremembering that whole situation, but there was something with him pre draft IIRC.

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Weren't there pre draft questions about just how into playing football he was? Then some analyst gave a big speech about how his outside interests should be applauded, in effort to shame his detractors or something.

IDK I could be misremembering that whole situation, but there was something with him pre draft IIRC.

I don’t remember. If you cut a 1st round pick that is allegedly healthy and hasn’t played awful midway through a season when you are short on players, there has to be more to the story. Team tweet said best for both sides… 

8 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

So what's the story, here? I know he wasn't terrific or anything but didn't think he was doing so awfully to be subject to a mid-season cut, either. Any insight, Raiders Chargers fans? Did he really lack value even in a backup or depth role, or did something happen beyond his play on the field?

He's been pretty bad for the past seasons, but he seemed to turn a bit of corner this season, and entered "serviceable" level play. He's a complete liability in the run game (as in he gets carried 5 yards downfield on every run play, liability), and that limits his usefulness.

He definitely wasn't coming back next year, but with that said, Austin Johnson just went to IR, and it makes very little sense to cut him now.

I'm betting on some off the field issues, even though his work ethic was always a bit shady.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

Well I find it very unlikely this hurts the Raiders. Kind of a zero risk move. Maybe he will give them more effort then he gave us. Of course when we play them I expect us to run straight at him knowing he doesn’t like to play vs the run. 

• Like 1