Week 12 GDT - Seattle Seahawks @ San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Didn't catch the game, but watched the highlights and read some of your responses. Sucks that the 49ers lost. I think that is 9 straight losses against Seattle now. I think I know how the Rams felt in the 90s when they just got raped by Montana, Young, and Rice 11 straight times. I can't stand seeing Russell Wilson running around about to get sacked, and throw a TD sprial from his *** crack. Hopefully this changes. Great that Jimmy saw some limited action, but it's unfortunate that CJ got hurt. I still think Jimmy should sit and CJ should get more reps, but it's whatever now. By the way I just found out that apparently some fans were cheering when CJ was hurt on the field. That's really sick and disgusting if it's true. I'm sure it wasn't everyone, but I just hate when I heard of things like this. Personally I try not to even talk about ball unless it's at a place like this. And I don't like going to games because there are just too many idiots around. Did you see this video? 

EDIT: Nevermind there are some conflicting reports from people who were actually at the game. Apparently the cheers, most of them, were for when Jimmy G was warming up. It wasn't directed at CJ getting hurt. However Foster and Reid apparently think it was against CJ. Who knows. Honestly I'd be surprised if Beathard was booed. He's barely played, he's a rookie, and he's on a team that was already garbage to begin with. 

Those two things go hand and hand though no? Jimmy G was warming up because Beathard was hurt and that's why the fans were cheering. But lets say if Jimmy G was inactive for some reason and the back up was Barkley or Mullins, doubt they would be cheering if they were warming up. So I don't think the intent of the crowd was to cheer Beathard getting hurt, it was just excited to see the potential franchise QB make his debut on his new team.

15 hours ago, Forge said:

The hip pain is a bit weird. 

Also, should be noted, Barkley is not available. He was signed to Arizona I believe, so should we need a quarterback next week, pretty sure it's going to have to be  Nick Mullens. 

On replay I saw him reach for his hip as soon as he went down.  Maybe a hip pointer?

3 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

On replay I saw him reach for his hip as soon as he went down.  Maybe a hip pointer?

Not sure. Possible that both things happened on that play - hip pointer and then of course whatever else happened with his knee. Hopefully it is two separate injuries...I have to think that if you injure your knee and have hip pain as a result, that can't bode well in any way, shape or form. 

15 hours ago, Forge said:

Give me A. 

Even if Jimmy G balled out for 5 games, I wouldn't put any stock into it heading into the next season, so I'd rather just have the picks lol. I'd be hopeful with B, but regardless of how he plays, it really does nothing for my future year expectations. Too small a sample. 

Yeah.  Of course this for me.  If we end up with six wins we'll drop at least 10 spots in the draft.  Worse - we'll not be in a position to have a shot at one of the QBs which we could likely trade for a bundle of picks.  For what?  Six wins?  Who cares about six wins this year?  Or just to convince ourselves Jimmy is good now, rather than next year.  I can wait. I'm interested in our long term future not the rest of this year. That means having a great QB and some solid pieces around him.  We have Jimmy; what we're missing is a whole bunch of pieces around him, many of which we could get this year if we end up with the second pick.  Jimmy is what Jimmy is no matter whether we see it in these final few games or not, and like Forge says it's a really small smaple. So no matter what we see it's no guarantee of how he'll play over the next ten years.  Best case scenario is he looks great but a variety of reasons end up picking second anyway.

14 hours ago, straighthate said:

Thought it was cool listening to the players rally around Beathard. Like Brock Coyle being asked about Garapolo and just going on a tangent about how much the team respects and stands behind Beathard. Few interviews I heard seemed like the teams really got good chemistry and respects the hell out of him. 

Also I know a few players like Reid and Foster complained about the fans cheering when Beathard went down. I heard some cheering when Garapolo went in, but didn’t think people were cheering while Beathard was down on the field. Any of you hear anything that could be interpreted as disrespectful cheering?

The one thing Beathard has for sure is toughness.  I think that's one quality all football players respect. 

14 hours ago, rudyZ said:

I only heard cheers when the players lined up and Jimmy was about to take his first snap. I didn't really notice anyone cheering Beathard's injury. If someone did, that's really classless.

Even if people cheered I think it was probably bad timing.  They were probably cheering for Jimmy coming in which they would be doing whenever it looked like he was coming in, not for Beathard's injury.

13 hours ago, Forge said:

I like the idea of Jimmy G starting his tenure next week against the Bears. I think it's a good spot. Its on the road, which adds a little to the difficulty factor, but not a crazy amount. The defense is better than you'd think, but the team isn't all that great and the defense isn't elite,  so we're unlikely to get destroyed (or destroy them) meaning more natural game flow (hopefully), and because their defense is solid but not great, there's some reasons to be excited if he goes in there and has a really nice game and little chance of him looking abysmal. 

I actually would love it  if Beathard is not hurt bad and the coaches think that Jimmy still isn't ready for a full game plan yet.  The Bears are one of those 3-win teams we need to lose to in order to maintain our draft position.  We already beat the Giants. We need to lose to the Bears.  

I know this sounds awful and I'm not sure I've ever rooted for our team to lose.  But I'm so convinced that we've made a real turnaround with the new GM and HC that I want the rebuilding process to move as quickly as possible. That would be greatly helped by getting the number 2 pick this year.  I still think we're talking about the difference between picking 5 thru 10 (if we win a few more games) vs possibly picking 5-10 PLUS having multiple extra first and second rounders if we end up with the number 2 pick.

22 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

d for our team to lose.  But I'm so convinced that we've made a real turnaround with the new GM and HC that I want the rebuilding process to move as quickly as possible. That would be greatly helped by getting the number 2 pick this year.  I still think we're talking about the difference between picking 5 thru 10 (if we win a few more games) vs possibly picking 5-10 PLUS having multiple extra first and second rounders if we end up with the number 2 pick.

Edited 17 minutes ago by big9erfan

Bears have a date with the Browns coming up so they are gonna get a win there.  Giants have a game against Arizona and one against a Zeke-less Cowboys team.  Outside of Chicago we might have a winnable game against Houston but aside from that it's all winning record teams who will be playing for division titles. So I'd say a win against the Bears keeps us in the top 3.  If we win out with Jimmy G at QB though it will open the door to attracting FAs too.

54 minutes ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

Bears have a date with the Browns coming up so they are gonna get a win there.  Giants have a game against Arizona and one against a Zeke-less Cowboys team.  Outside of Chicago we might have a winnable game against Houston but aside from that it's all winning record teams who will be playing for division titles. So I'd say a win against the Bears keeps us in the top 3.  If we win out with Jimmy G at QB though it will open the door to attracting FAs too.

I think that we have 3 winnable games left - Chicago, Houston and Tennessee. I'm going to consider Jax and the Rams highly unlikely even though Jax just lost to Blaine Gabbert and we played the Rams tough. 

Hopefully the Bears take down the Browns. It's actually bad for us at this point if Cleveland beats them. We need to cleveland to win twice to get the #1 pick, so that appears highly unlikely, so I'd rather the other teams just win more game. We really need the Giants to win another game though. They hold the tie breaker with us, so if we end up with the same win total, they get the better pick. 

We are going to be able to attract Free Agents no matter what....we have a lot of money to spend. 

Speaking of money, do you know how much exactly we will have to spend? And then how much we will have to spend after potentially tagging Garoppolo?

One trade up candidate will be the Broncos. If they don't fulfill the need in free agency or via trade, then they may move up a few spots to get their guy. I bet they would love to get Rosen or even Allen. Though the latter will be funny with the type of QBs they already have. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Speaking of money, do you know how much exactly we will have to spend? And then how much we will have to spend after potentially tagging Garoppolo?

One trade up candidate will be the Broncos. If they don't fulfill the need in free agency or via trade, then they may move up a few spots to get their guy. I bet they would love to get Rosen or even Allen. Though the latter will be funny with the type of QBs they already have. 

I believe we will have 100 million in open cap next year. QB franchise tag this year was $21.268m .

So can anyone tell me why the team was so eager to play Marsh as much as they did? Is it because Saleh coached him in Seattle? Dude was taking snaps away from Blair in nickel situations and we had to deactivate Lynch/Doozy for him to play. He played 27 snaps compared to Blair's 24. L-O-L........

2 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Yeah.  Of course this for me.  If we end up with six wins we'll drop at least 10 spots in the draft.  Worse - we'll not be in a position to have a shot at one of the QBs which we could likely trade for a bundle of picks.  For what?  Six wins?  Who cares about six wins this year?  Or just to convince ourselves Jimmy is good now, rather than next year.  I can wait. I'm interested in our long term future not the rest of this year. That means having a great QB and some solid pieces around him.  We have Jimmy; what we're missing is a whole bunch of pieces around him, many of which we could get this year if we end up with the second pick.  Jimmy is what Jimmy is no matter whether we see it in these final few games or not, and like Forge says it's a really small smaple. So no matter what we see it's no guarantee of how he'll play over the next ten years.  Best case scenario is he looks great but a variety of reasons end up picking second anyway.

So in order to be interested in the team's future, you have to hope we lose and draft high? I'll repeat the point I made yesterday: great organization will build great teams with or without top 3 picks. I'm interested in this team's future, and I hope that Lynch, his staff, and Kyle don't require a bunch of top 3 picks to build this team into a winner. Sure, I'd be happier with the #2 than I would be with the #12. But if it's 12, it's not the end of the world. I won't get up on my soapbox and shout for all to hear that we should have tanked properly and lost on purpose. I want to see this team play to win, and if that means losing out on draft capital, then so be it. I won't be the one who, in five years, will look back at this draft and say We could have had so and so instead... if Lynch and Kyle are the real deal, they'll find good players whether they're picking 2 or 12. The Pats didn't build their dynasty on the backs of top 3 picks. Even our niners didn't in the 80s. 

Archived