QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I keep reading this thing about that we cant announce AR until Wednesday. That if we did it before then, we'd have to clear out that 56mill he's owed. But after the 17th we don't have to have that space available.

Not sure how true it is.

It also shouldn't stop us from announcing it. You can announce it, but not make it official until then. I mean we traded for Clark 6 days ago, yet he isn't actually a Jet until later today. 

My guess is all parties involved want to wait until it can become official before leaking it/having the trade announced. Probably due to the sensitive nature of pushing a HoF QB out the door.

I know this is unpopular take, but signing Rodgers was the Jets only option if they feel they can still salvage Zach Wilson. Having him sit behind any other QB other than his idol, who I think I remember him already having a relationship with, would have ended his time here.

I know a lot of people on this site never want to see him under center again but I think part of the Jets thinking  is 2 years of AR and maybe Zach is ready for a second chance. Let him reset, learn from a new offensive staff,  and sit behind a legend just like Rodgers did and maybe there’s a chance he realizes his potential.

Not saying Wilson’s gonna be a star someday, just that the Jets are still hoping he will, and that’s a secondary part of this whole Rodgers plan. 

But hey, if Geno Smith can make the Pro Bowl anything’s possible. 

8 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Green Bay should say I want Ahmad Gardner lol. What’s Douglas gonna do walk away? Man I wish we were in this position to screw a team over. Douglas would man handle them.

They'll just tell Rodgers GB is holding the deal up and he'll become an even bigger pain in the *** for us than anyone thought possible.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I keep reading this thing about that we cant announce AR until Wednesday. That if we did it before then, we'd have to clear out that 56mill he's owed. But after the 17th we don't have to have that space available.

Not sure how true it is.

It also shouldn't stop us from announcing it. You can announce it, but not make it official until then. I mean we traded for Clark 6 days ago, yet he isn't actually a Jet until later today. 

I don’t think there’s any truth to that.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

I know this is unpopular take, but signing Rodgers was the Jets only option if they feel they can still salvage Zach Wilson. Having him sit behind any other QB other than his idol, who I think I remember him already having a relationship with, would have ended his time here.

Sure Zach will hopefully learn the way he should have since day one instead of being thrown to the wolves.  I am all on board with this approach and since it seems Saleh and JD are determined to make and NFL QB out of Zach, we have no choice.  But, Rodgers does not strike me as the "take the kid under his wing" kind of guy.  I think Zach could have learned just as much from any vet we had in here if not more.  So, I disagree that Rodgers was the only option regarding this point.

I believe Rodgers was the only option because that is what the Woodster wanted.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports the Packers could be requesting "multiple" first round draft picks from the Jets in exchange for Aaron Rodgers. 

The Packers, per Schefter, believe Rodgers should fetch a similar deal that the Lions got when they traded Matthew Stafford to the Rams in 2021 (Detroit received Jared Goff and two first rounders). It would indeed be a steep price for a 39-year-old quarterback who regularly talks about retirement and has tormented the Packers and their fans for years with indecision on whether to continue his fading career. "The Jets have to figure out what they're willing to pay," Schefter said, adding he "wouldn't be surprised" if Rodgers announces his trade to the Jets this afternoon on his friend's internet talk show. 

LOL GB wants same package as Stafford deal. LOL

I'm walking away if I'm the Jets. This should be no more than a swap of first round picks and a 3rd next year. The guys is done in 2 years. 

@jetfuel34

Pinging you since the formatting is weird when quoting you.  I don't think that the Packers are asking for 2 FRPs.  At least for anything other than the starting negotiating prices.  When you're the seller, you ask for the moon and you come back closer to earth.  For a buyer, you offer the lightest package that you can offer without getting put on the blocked call.  It's called negotiating.  You find some happy medium.  That's why I think the concept that the Jets were going to get him for a single Day 2 pick or a slew of Day 3 picks was farfetched.  That sounds like the introductory price for a Rodgers' offer from the Jets.  Look at the previous QB trades (i.e. Carson Wentz, Matt Ryan, etc.) and you go from there.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

@jetfuel34

Pinging you since the formatting is weird when quoting you.  I don't think that the Packers are asking for 2 FRPs.  At least for anything other than the starting negotiating prices.  When you're the seller, you ask for the moon and you come back closer to earth.  For a buyer, you offer the lightest package that you can offer without getting put on the blocked call.  It's called negotiating.  You find some happy medium.  That's why I think the concept that the Jets were going to get him for a single Day 2 pick or a slew of Day 3 picks was farfetched.  That sounds like the introductory price for a Rodgers' offer from the Jets.  Look at the previous QB trades (i.e. Carson Wentz, Matt Ryan, etc.) and you go from there.

I have it likely as a 2nd this year (we have a high 2nd rounder let's not forget). And a conditional pick next year. Not sure what the terms of that will be, but I don't think it will be a straight up pick next year.

There's also a lot of thought that other players might be mixed into this trade. Not sure who else (or id anyone) from you guys. But I have heard the idea of us sending you Davis along with the deal or maybe even Mims.

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I have it likely as a 2nd this year (we have a high 2nd rounder let's not forget). And a conditional pick next year. Not sure what the terms of that will be, but I don't think it will be a straight up pick next year.

There's also a lot of thought that other players might be mixed into this trade. Not sure who else (or id anyone) from you guys. But I have heard the idea of us sending you Davis along with the deal or maybe even Mims.

I'd argue it's a mid-SRP but that's just semantics.  And I don't think the conditional pick would end up being anything other than a pick conveying.  If the Jets are signing Rodgers' friends and trading for Rodgers, Rodgers is playing in 2023.  And putting conditions on a '23 pick for the '24 season isn't feasible since it could easily be manipulated.  It could be a pick that upgrades based on team/individual success, like a SRP that upgrades to a FRP IF the Jets make the playoffs.

As for players being involved, it's possible.  But the Packers are already pushed up against the cap as it is.  The Packers only have about $17.3M in cap space right now, and trading Rodgers eats an additional $8.7M in cap space.  Pencil in ~$4M for their rookie class plus a $5M for in-season cap maneuvers and the Packers would be pretty much pushed up against the cap as it is already.  The only real cap maneuver the Packers have left is to restructure Rasul Douglas, which isn't going to create much cap space.  The Packers simply can't afford Corey Davis at $10.5M, so unless he's restructuring his contract it wouldn't work financially for Green Bay.