QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Me too because we don’t want a guy with one foot in and one foot out but Green Bay had to be comfortable enough to allow us to talk. 

Players going hard to recruit him now. I think retirement is on the table and the Jets are trying to pull him off the fence 

38 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

They still have to be okay with the compensation. Same way Houston made teams submit offers before talking to Watson and New Orleans submitted an offer to Vegas before meeting with Carr. 

Idk, this feels like a weird/unique situation IMO. It wouldn’t shock me if the framework is being done now. Especially if Green Bay is willing to take whatever is offered. If the Jets are the only suitor, I can’t see a reason why Green Bay would insist on knowing compensation first.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. Finding it hilarious that GB thinks they have leverage here.

I laugh at that too. If this was 5 years ago then yes GB would get a great package deal. They waited to long to move on. This is why they will take what ever and eat some of the capo hit. I can see GB taking 1/3 or 1/4 of the cap hit. 

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Exactly. Finding it hilarious that GB thinks they have leverage here.

Nobody is saying that the Packers have leverage.  What we are saying is that the Jets don't either.  You don't let a player talk to another team without a compensation package lined up before hand.  It's no different than the Carr scenario.  The Raiders weren't going to let other teams talk to Carr until they agreed to the framework of a trade beforehand.

3 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

I laugh at that too. If this was 5 years ago then yes GB would get a great package deal. They waited to long to move on. This is why they will take what ever and eat some of the capo hit. I can see GB taking 1/3 or 1/4 of the cap hit. 

This post reeks of someone who doesn't understand the basic concept of the salary cap.  Right now, the Jets would be on the hook for his base salary ($1.165M), his workout bonus (50k) and the pro-rated part of his option bonus ($14.575M).  Eating even a quarter of that pro-rated option bonus would be an additional $15M in dead cap the Packers would have to account for beyond the additional $9M they'd be on top of the additional $8.9M they'd be paying by trading him.  Right now, the Packers have $16.4M-ish in cap space and that doesn't account for any FAs signed or re-signed or any draft picks being signed.  That wouldn't allow room for the Packers to sign any of their draft picks.  And the only real notable cap maneuvers they can do to create more cap space is to restructure David Bakhtiari and trade Darnell Savage.  Eating more of his option bonus just isn't feasible financially for the Packers.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GangGreen420 said:

Why wouldn’t Green Bay allow them to talk though? By all accounts they want to move on 

Because Green Bay doesn't want to be the one to appear they're shoving out Aaron Rodgers.  And if this were a situation where the Packers just wanted to get him off the books, they'd trade him to any team for a conditional pick(s).

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Nobody is saying that the Packers have leverage.  What we are saying is that the Jets don't either.  You don't let a player talk to another team without a compensation package lined up before hand.  It's no different than the Carr scenario.  The Raiders weren't going to let other teams talk to Carr until they agreed to the framework of a trade beforehand.

I agree about the compensation being discussed already.

Where I think we differ is that I think Rodgers clearly holds the cards now. But I don’t think we’re giving up a package that “most” GB fans think they’ll get. And that’s where I’m saying we have leverage. Who are we bidding against? Jets set the market. And the second Rodgers makes a decision on wanting the Jets or retiring. GB in essence has no leverage. So I think the package doesn’t include a 1st. I think at best GB gets a couple 2nds.

I think we end up trading our 2nd this year and a conditional 4th (can turn into a 2nd if Rodgers plays another year). Really interested, outside of the probable Rodgers move, what else we do this off-season.