QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

7 hours ago, jetjuice said:

So your plan is to hold him hostage and force him to retire if you don't get what you want in a trade? And then get nothing for him in return at all?

Bold strategy.

No.  I think the Packers just want a reasonable return for him.  I don't think they're trying to extract a pound of flesh in the process.  I think they want a reasonable package for him, and I've ventured a guess that the price tag is a late FRP plus something more.  I don't think that's an insane take to have.  You have to remember, the Packers would have more dead cap if they were to trade him than if he were to retire.

9 hours ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I am perfectly fine with giving up the 13th pick in the draft to finalize this trade. Hopefully, there are other players involved too, though. 

For example, if the plan really was to draft an OT with the 13th pick, then it would be nice to include Bakhtiari in this trade. It would also be nice to have Corey Davis, Zach Wilson, Carl Lawson and/or Jordan Whitehead be included the other way.

ESPECIALLY Wilson.

Yeah, I don't think you'll get anything else even with 13. They need to evaluate Love. They will keep as many chips as they can. If they don't like Love, then they can start unloading this year and set him up to fail. We've seen that before. Unless the cap is so prohibitive for GB that Bakh has to go, but honestly it would be multiple picks including 13 for that haul. Wilson would need to stay until they sign a backup, and even then, Wilson will be the third QB barring preseason disaster.

Edited by WheatieMan

So I think we’ve given the respect to Aaron to have a few days to think about what he wants to do. He’s earned that right because of how good he has been. However……

If I’m the Jets top dogs then I’m saying today is deadline day. We need to know one way or another. Can’t go into the weekend not sure of the plan for free agency. 

On a side note….I have read reports that Lamar will wait until after the draft to negotiate with other teams as that then allows both Miami and SF to enter the bidding for him as they can then offer the two firsts it would take on the non exclusive tag. Lamar in Miami would be terrifying. 

Edited by KimuraGod

4 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Yeah, I don't think you'll get anything else even with 13. They need to evaluate Love. They will keep as many chips as they can. If they don't like Love, then they can start unloading this year and set him up to fail. We've seen that before. Unless the cap is so prohibitive for GB that Bakh has to go, but honestly it would be multiple picks including 13 for that haul. Wilson would need to stay until they sign a backup, and even then, Wilson will be the third QB barring preseason disaster.

why would we give away the 13 pick in the draft for a guy we are not sure will be here 12 months from now., this has all the ear marks of a Fredo Johnson deal. Woody Johnson is our FREDO.  hell no. to this deal 

Something I took note of yesterday that has me very optimistic was on the McAfee show.

We all know Rodgers has a close circle. McAfee is one of the only shows he likes to go on. Main reason is AJ Hawk. Hawk and Rodgers are good buddies. The on going joke on the show is how whenever stuff pops up about Rodgers that everyone else on the show feels Hawk knows exactly what’s going on. He just keeps his mouth shut. Which is why he’s still good buddies with Rodgers.

Now yesterday if you watched the show… Hawk pretty much was shooting down the idea of Rodgers retiring. His attitude was as if there’s no ways he’s retiring bc he’s still a top QB. So if he’s not retiring… he’s coming here.

I think just Rodgers is taking us sweet time like he likes to do. He’s smart though and knows the Jets need to know sooner rather than later. I expect something today. Tomorrow at the latest.

I also think there’s a way for our GO to reach out to him today in a very respectful manner. Where it’s not us pressuring him for an answer. Just kind of checking in with him. Asking if he has a questions that they can answer and such. Don’t give him a timetable and force a decision. He knows when FA starts. Just check in.

23 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

why would we give away the 13 pick in the draft for a guy we are not sure will be here 12 months from now., this has all the ear marks of a Fredo Johnson deal. Woody Johnson is our FREDO.  hell no. to this deal 

Why? Bc the last 2 GREAT QBs that changed teams late in their career the year after they changed teams won the SB (Manning and Brady). So for a franchise that hasn’t won in 5 decades… the 13th pick might be worth that 1 year window. I also think there’s a VERY good chance he plays at least 2 seasons. So then it makes it that much more enticing.

That being said… I don’t think we’re giving away 13. If we’re giving up a 1st. I think it’d be next year. Attached with conditions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KimuraGod said:

So I think we’ve given the respect to Aaron to have a few days to think about what he wants to do. He’s earned that right because of how good he has been. However……

If I’m the Jets top dogs then I’m saying today is deadline day. We need to know one way or another. Can’t go into the weekend not sure of the plan for free agency. 

On a side note….I have read reports that Lamar will wait until after the draft to negotiate with other teams as that then allows both Miami and SF to enter the bidding for him as they can then offer the two firsts it would take on the non exclusive tag. Lamar in Miami would be terrifying. 

An he’d be easy. Made of glass. Have Clemons cheap shot him and he’s out for the year every year. 

8 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

After all is said and done so far there is no question the SAINTS are the big winners. They got the QB they wanted, and it was a clean fast deal.

Saints don't have the roster to contend with Carr, not to mention the uncertainty at HC. 

They were ~$20m over the cap before Carr, and given how they've restructured and backloaded contracts the last few years, they won't have the money to build around him for the duration of his contract.

Admire them for wanting to stay competitive but I think it's a terrible situation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Saints don't have the roster to contend with Carr, not to mention the uncertainty at HC. 

They were ~$20m over the cap before Carr, and given how they've restructured and backloaded contracts the last few years, they won't have the money to build around him for the duration of his contract.

Admire them for wanting to stay competitive but I think it's a terrible situation.

As of right now (we will see how everything shakes out after FA and the draft).... they do have it pretty easy in that division as of now. So they're likely a top few playoff seed as it sits now. 

7 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No.  I think the Packers just want a reasonable return for him.  I don't think they're trying to extract a pound of flesh in the process.  I think they want a reasonable package for him, and I've ventured a guess that the price tag is a late FRP plus something more.  I don't think that's an insane take to have.  You have to remember, the Packers would have more dead cap if they were to trade him than if he were to retire.

The Packers want to move on, worse case scenario for them is if AR say's hey I'm staying right here. I'm going to finish out my career, retire a Packer and I'm done next season. 

However if AR decides he wants to move on and join the Jets for the next 2 seasons, then I think the Packers are not in a position to demand too much. Especially if they are asking the Jets to take on the entire contract. The Packers would be fortunate to get a 4th round pick.

Only time will tell.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Why? Bc the last 2 GREAT QBs that changed teams late in their career the year after they changed teams won the SB (Manning and Brady). So for a franchise that hasn’t won in 5 decades… the 13th pick might be worth that 1 year window. I also think there’s a VERY good chance he plays at least 2 seasons. So then it makes it that much more enticing.

That being said… I don’t think we’re giving away 13. If we’re giving up a 1st. I think it’d be next year. Attached with conditions.

As of now Arron Rodgers, is in a mental state that is too shaky for me anybody who spent four days sitting in the dark not talking has me worried. Is he a great QB he sure is. Would I want him on the Jets today yes but he has me scared.

27 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

As of now Arron Rodgers, is in a mental state that is too shaky for me anybody who spent four days sitting in the dark not talking has me worried. Is he a great QB he sure is. Would I want him on the Jets today yes but he has me scared.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/aaron-rodgers-tabbed-as-guest-speaker-at-psychedelic-convention-this-summer.amp

does this make you feel better?

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

After all is said and done so far there is no question the SAINTS are the big winners. They got the QB they wanted, and it was a clean fast deal.

They gave $150 million to a QB that they shut out 24-0 with the best WR & RB in football last season.

Saints just improved from 7-10 to 8-9.

• Like 2