The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

We have a bit over 4M in cap space right now. Spotrac has us with 4,25M, while OTC has us with 4,4M.

This 4M is already including 10,1M for JJ's fr.tag.

Since the deadline passed for a new longterm deal I would get in touch with JJ and his agent and offer them a fully guaranteed 13M deal for 2023 and offer them a no franchise tag option for 2024 as well.

This way JJ would be the 3rd highest paid RB this year, he would have guaranteed (and above the market) money for this year...also with the no fr.tag option he would have the chance to get a long term deal from us or from else on the market after the season.

Then I would really try to work Zeus into the rotation this year. By the end of the season we would know just how crucial JJ is to our running game, to our offense.

Based on his and Zeus's 2023 season I would try to offer him a respectable deal after the season, but would let him test the market...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rolni said:

Since the deadline passed for a new longterm deal I would get in touch with JJ and his agent and offer them a fully guaranteed 13M deal for 2023 and offer them a no franchise tag option for 2024 as well.

Why would they do this? The team isn't going to lose leverage with a no franchise tag option. Barkley tried that and didn't get it. Best, he gets something slightly better than Barkley. 

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I'll say this.... the Raiders could win a lot of good will right now taking care of Jacobs.

With all the attention the RB issue is getting, players commenting, etc. they could get a lot of good PR with a commitment. 

It's funny, because Al Davis would have paid him instantly. He could care less about trends, markets, value, etc. He would just take care of his own. Of course, Jerry is that way too and hence the mistake signing Zeke to a record deal.  

has to make sense though, I just wish we knew what Jacobs was asking for. Id have no problem with a 3 year 36-39mil  deal with the first two guaranteed. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

has to make sense though, I just wish we knew what Jacobs was asking for. Id have no problem with a 3 year 36-39mil  deal with the first two guaranteed. 

Would have made sense, if that's what he would have been happy with, too late now though, its either a one year deal, play on the tag or sit the year out.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Why would they do this? The team isn't going to lose leverage with a no franchise tag option. Barkley tried that and didn't get it. Best, he gets something slightly better than Barkley. 

This. Also, hopefully they learned from the “other” NTC! .....jus sayin.👍

6 hours ago, Tamar Raider said:

Would have made sense, if that's what he would have been happy with, too late now though, its either a one year deal, play on the tag or sit the year out.

Yea I thought I edited it to add that it was too late for that. Jacobs really has no leverage. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Josh Jacobs voted as the 12th best player in the league by his peers. Unfortunately JMD/DZ didn't think he was worth $8M a year ago.

You didn't either, I ain't forget you was the one trying to argue there was like 20 RB'S  better than Jacobs. Just saying!

Maybe they was doing him a favor this way he due more money.

Edited by raidr4life
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, raidr4life said:

You didn't either, I ain't forget you was the one trying to argue there was like 20 RB'S  better than Jacobs. Just saying!

Maybe they was doing him a favor this way he due more money.

I was the only person here that said we should've picked up his option.

On 8/2/2023 at 5:33 PM, big_palooka said:

Why not?

I doubt they want to tag JJ again anyway, but it would be nice to have a happy and motivated JJ in the house.

Let this season run out with a motivated JJ and see what you have in Zeus.

You can give him an above the market deal before free agency, if he is doing great, while Zeus and the rest struggle or you can let him test the market and you match any offer or wait for the comp pick and use Zeus and draft another guy.

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I was the only person here that said we should've picked up his option.

I wanted to pick up the option as well, but we'd still be in this same exact situation Jacobs would still be holding out so I mean what does it actually matter other than they could fine him since he would be under contract. 

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Josh Jacobs voted as the 12th best player in the league by his peers. Unfortunately JMD/DZ didn't think he was worth $8M a year ago.

No one said anything when they didn’t offer him a 5th year option. Can’t chirp now. 

20 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The same peers voted JC Jackson a top 20 player and he got benched by like week 6. 

It's a popularity contest. 

20 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

The same peers voted JC Jackson a top 20 player and he got benched by like week 6. 

It's a popularity contest. 

And probably a RB plug from fellow players. Not saying he isn’t top 20 currently, but I’d prolly go, jacobs 17, crosby13 and adams 12. DA has done it longer.