The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

10 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The fact that it's a super deep RB class this year (Saquan/Henry/Swift/Ekeler etc) should honestly drive Jacob's price down.

I'm actually sorta worried about the opposite. 

Is it really deep or is it full of names at the end of the road? 

I can't see anyone running at full speed to sign Henry or Ekeler at this point...nobody looking for a RB for more than a year, at least. Swift and Saquon have the same issues as Jacobs- durability- but Jacobs is probably the most productive and proven of those 3 all things considered. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I'm actually sorta worried about the opposite. 

Is it really deep or is it full of names at the end of the road? 

I can't see anyone running at full speed to sign Henry or Ekeler at this point...nobody looking for a RB for more than a year, at least. Swift and Saquon have the same issues as Jacobs- durability- but Jacobs is probably the most productive and proven of those 3 all things considered. 

Since 2020 there have only been 2 FA RB's to sign deals worth more than 7M APY, Melvin Gordon and Leonard Fournette.

I think contending teams will target Henry and Ekeler and I'm assuming teams will value Saquon and Pollard more than Jacobs, I'd probably value Swift higher as well considering he's younger, has less wear and tear, and will be cheaper.

I could see teams being hesitant to give big money or target the top names when there will be guys like Swift, Gibson, Singletary, Dobbins, Akers, Dillon etc for significantly cheaper

With the cap increasing and the sheer quantity of RBs available, deflating their own market  - I think a reasonable deal is likely.

AP strikes me as someone who won’t want to let go of existing leaders. And I think that’s sensible. Especially with us having so much cap.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

I would give him a 2 year with a team option on year 2. I wouldn't even be mad at 3 year with 2 years locked in. Can't forget he had low miles in college 

If he's open to a 1 year deal, I'd just give him a 1 year deal. He has 1,502 total touches since he came into the league, the second most for any player behind Derrick Henry. The thing with RB's is that they're good until they're not and we've seen guys fall off a cliff from one year to the next over and over again, look at Zeke. 

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

If he's open to a 1 year deal, I'd just give him a 1 year deal. He has 1,502 total touches since he came into the league, the second most for any player behind Derrick Henry. The thing with RB's is that they're good until they're not and we've seen guys fall off a cliff from one year to the next over and over again, look at Zeke. 

Zeke got fat and out of shape wearing crop tops 😆 

What Jacob's said was if the long term deal numbers aren't huge he's open to a 1 yr.....fine, sign him for a 1 yr and let him run for the bag. He'll be betting on himself, last time he did, we benefitted from it. Lol. 

29 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

What Jacob's said was if the long term deal numbers aren't huge he's open to a 1 yr.....fine, sign him for a 1 yr and let him run for the bag. He'll be betting on himself, last time he did, we benefitted from it. Lol. 

The thing with Jacobs too is that he has produced at a pretty similar level throughout his career except for the 2022 season. 

2019: 262 touches / 1,316 yards (5.0 ypt) / 7 TD

2020: 306 touches / 1,303 yards (4.3 ypt) / 12 TD

2021: 271 touches / 1,220 yards (4.5 ypt) / 9 TD

2022: 393 touches / 2,053 yards (5.2 ypt) / 12 TD

2023: 270 touches / 1,101 yards (4.1 ypt) / 6 TD

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The thing with Jacobs too is that he has produced at a pretty similar level throughout his career except for the 2022 season. 

2019: 262 touches / 1,316 yards (5.0 ypt) / 7 TD

2020: 306 touches / 1,303 yards (4.3 ypt) / 12 TD

2021: 271 touches / 1,220 yards (4.5 ypt) / 9 TD

2022: 393 touches / 2,053 yards (5.2 ypt) / 12 TD

2023: 270 touches / 1,101 yards (4.1 ypt) / 6 TD

Exactly, let him run for the money. I like Jacob's, but "huge" numbers on a long term deal ain't gonna happen, especially with this year's crop of FAs. That article I read mentioned next year's FA list isn't quite as deep. I'm sure his agent and him are aware of this. Lol. So let him prove it....again. lol