Fallout TV Show

MKnight82

14 minutes ago, minutemancl said:

I think the timeline has this show taking place ~10 years after New Vegas. If that's the case,

Reveal hidden contents

Caesar's Legion is nothing anymore with Caesar dead.

The BoS has always been a fascist, pseudo-theocratic, generally bad organization. Only in Fallout 3 were they ever actually benevolent, and that was later determined to be solely due to Elder Lyons, and under Maxson in Fallout 4, they drifted entirely away from that. 

The first thing that made me think of it was all the Latin names of the BoS members. Less to do with benevolence and more to do with... names I guess.

Maximus, Thaddeus, Quintas, Titus, Felix, etc. From what I remember Dane is the only member that doesn't have a flat out Roman name... Though the name is arguably Roman in origin since Denmark was called "Dania" and for kind of obvious reasons they weren't giving the actor a female-presenting name.

Spoiler

There is a teaser of Robert House during the corporate huddle towards the end of the season which makes me think he'll be involved in some capacity. Hank will probably become a major villain during season 2 and a pretty easy in-road would be him taking over the remnants of Caesar's Legion (or even just one of the gangs or a band of raiders). I don't think there was a canon ending to New Vegas though I imagine Caesar is probably still dead... introducing them at a later point may get a bit confusing with the naming since BoS seems to have all Latin names. I also wouldn't be surprised if the Legion is just dead.

Speculation spoilers:

Spoiler

The New Vegas strip we see at the very end looks partly destroyed, and the footage over the end credits shows the House securitrons destroyed. What if the Canon "ending" to New Vegas is the courier not being resurrected at all after being shot by Benny? What a turn that would be. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, minutemancl said:

I just finished it. My love for the video games definitely factored in, but I loved it.

Hide contents

Holy **** that cliffhanger at the very end. We're heading back to the strip!

Had a giant grin on my face realizing it

• Like 1

2 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Played wayyyy too much Fallout 3, a lot of hours in Fallout 4, and nothing for New Vegas. Binged this show over the weekend. So good. So so good. I don't think there was a single weak point in the show for me. 

Dude, New Vegas is far and away the best one. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Dude, New Vegas is far and away the best one. 

I honestly don't even remember hearing much about it which is weird as it would have been right smack in the middle of university when I played the vast majority of my video games. 

1 hour ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

I honestly don't even remember hearing much about it which is weird as it would have been right smack in the middle of university when I played the vast majority of my video games. 

It essentially was an alternate Fallout 3 because it came from a lot of the devs that made the first two who moved over to Obsidian. Remember reading some stuff Josh Sawyer wrote for the cancelled Fallout 3, cancelled after Bethesda licensed then purchased the IP, made its way to New Vegas.

Was a great game, probably the best Fallout game. Especially after they ironed out the bugs of building onto Bethesda’s engine.

Storywise can see why they wanted to go there, curious what state the factions will be in at this point in the area.

On a related note, now that they are all owned by Xbox…really hoping we can get a New Vegas 2 or just another entry from Sawyer and that team. Otherwise we aren’t getting a Fallout game until the early 2030s.

• Like 3

New Vegas was released with more than a normal amount of Bethesda-esque bugs. Lots of them were game-breaking. Like @Kiltman said, it really came into its own once a few major patches and fixes came out. It's pretty easily the best Fallout title now IMO. It was developed by the same people that made Fallout 2 but using Bethesda's engine.

• Like 1

It took me a long time to appreciate New Vegas. It came out shortly after Fallout 3, which I loved, so I was really looking forward to playing it. The story and world building in New Vegas (and all Obsidian/Black Isle Fallout games, if we're being honest) has so much more depth than any full Bethesda title. I didn't really understand it at first. I played it for a bit then shelved it. It wasn't until I came back years later and really got deep into it that I was able to appreciate how amazing the base game and its DLC were (except Dead Money. Screw Dead Money. I get what they were going for, but the combat and exploration in that DLC can be so frustrating that I wholly avoid it now on any replay).

• Like 4

Can't really find a good answer online or in any of the episode reviews. But what exactly were they experimenting on when Lucy goes to level 12 in vault 4?

Spoiler:I know they referenced earlier that vault 4 was going to be run exclusively by scientists. I know the woman gave birth to a clutch of gulpers and they ate her. But what was the point of the experiment? One of the wonderful things about the game is they go into so much detail about each location and whatever events happened there via the text or audio logs. Feel like the show did a bit of a disservice on this part. One of the very few gripes I have about the show. My other is the wasteland just seemed way too barren and "safe" compared to how it feels in the games. I get they were saving some of the mutations for the second season but you have people in the show just walking endlessly across miles without encountering anything. Heck in the game I'm constantly jamming on the VATS to see whats up ahead. 

All in all though absolutely loved it and totally want to do another playthrough of all of them now. Although I never did give 76 a decent chance so I should probably just start there. 

Edit: Nevermind found the answer

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Vault_4

Edited by Shockwave

I'm rewatching with my wife, who wants to see it. A few questions that are coming up upon rewatch (major spoilers):

Spoiler

Why is Moldaver allied with raiders in episode 1 if she's, apparently, very high up in the NCR? It's also never explained in season 1 how she's stayed alive all this time without being a ghoul or frozen; she wasn't in Vault 31.

The biggest departure from the games is probably this addition of ghouls having to take 'vials' to prevent from going feral. What are the vials? Similarly, in the games it is noted that radiation can actually heal ghouls. But can it heal in the way it was shown with Cooper sewing his finger back on, and Thaddeus instantly healing from an crossbow bolt through the neck? It makes me think Thaddeus has that Hancock-type ghoul affliction, since he didn't become one through true radiation exposure, but rather some sort of drug.

The show was going to be the story of fallout 3 initially but was changed at some point to be its own story. That kind of explains some discrepancies (though it doesn't tie them up).

Spoiler

I would have imagined that vault 31 (and thus Hank and Betty) would have known about what happened in vault 32 and probably wouldn't have been taken by surprise by Moldaver. It would make sense if the vault 32 raid in its entirety was a remnant of an older story-line that morphed into what we ended up seeing.

I think the drug given by the "doctor" instantly turned Thaddeus into a ghoul. I'm not sure if it was the same drug that Cooper uses to stave off going feral, but it seemed like the liquid in those glass vials was taken from living ghouls. The Superdupermart had a managerie of ghouls behind glass and it seemed like they were being harvested.