Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

What's your call?

Rodgers comes in and says none of these teams appeal to me (Jets, Raiders, Titans) and they aren't going anywhere.  I want to go to a legit contender.  He's serious about retirement rather than go to one of those teams.

The only team he'll come back to play for is the 49ers.   What do you do?  Get something for him, or wish him well in retirement and move on??  In this hypothetical situation, he's serious about retirement if he can't play for a contender.

If San Francisco can come up with a decent offer, I'd send him there.  If they can't, thank him for his time in Green Bay.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Besides Adams on that roster is that team anywhere near playoff caliber?  I would think if Rodgers is traded he would ask Gute to send him to a playoff team and Brian should accommodate him.

Their offense isn't that bad.  They're a QB and a semi-rebuilt OL away from being a top 5 offense.  Last year, they were 12th in PPG with Carr as their QB and 3 of their 5 OL having no business playing meaningful snaps.  Defensively, they're a mess which is why I think the Jets are probably preferable to the Raiders.

3 hours ago, Pugger said:

The problem with SF is they don't have the ammo to become a bidder.  I'd rather keep Rodgers in 2023 than let him walk and get basically nothing for him.

The post I was replying to....

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, that's a FAR cry from nothing that Pugger was talking about.

....SF has the ammo.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:
4 hours ago, squire12 said:

You wouldn't take 2 2023 3rd round picks + 2024 1st and 2nd round picks with no conditions attached?

I mean, that's a FAR cry from nothing that Pugger was talking about

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

What ammo are you referring to?

The same ammo that you commented on

4 hours ago, Pugger said:

Besides Adams on that roster is that team anywhere near playoff caliber?  I would think if Rodgers is traded he would ask Gute to send him to a playoff team and Brian should accommodate him.

Even after adding Rodgers, the Raiders could create $90m in cap space without cutting anyone and buy all the top free agents in one all-in move.

They have the resources to do it, Rodgers gets to play with his friends, and he gets to be close to California while playing in a non-humid warm city. I'd go so far as to call it the most appealing AFC destination.

12 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

What's your call?

Rodgers comes in and says none of these teams appeal to me (Jets, Raiders, Titans) and they aren't going anywhere.  I want to go to a legit contender.  He's serious about retirement rather than go to one of those teams.

The only team he'll come back to play for is the 49ers.   What do you do?  Get something for him, or wish him well in retirement and move on??  In this hypothetical situation, he's serious about retirement if he can't play for a contender.

The question is ...

Who wins a trade for Rodgers taking into account cap implications and picks (assuming a decent offer is made).  If you believe Packers win a trade as I am sure 99% of people here do then that means the team you trade him to gets worse (taking into account picks and cap).

On that basis. If you are confident trading him is the right thing to do, then you should have no problems trading him to any team in the NFL including the 49ers and NFC North teams. 

If you make the decision to trade him then take best offer that Rodgers for a team Rodgers will play for and move on. Regardless of whether its 49ers or whoever.

Reality is if you were 40 and had generational wealth then you wouldn't take a job you didn't want to take so Rodgers probably would retire if he was unhappy with the trade - anyone critical of that is a pure hypocrite. So you have to respect that and get what you can. Obviously you can hold your ground if the only acceptable team/s offer something inadequate.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

The question is ...

Who wins a trade for Rodgers taking into account cap implications and picks (assuming a decent offer is made).  If you believe Packers win a trade as I am sure 99% of people here do then that means the team you trade him to gets worse (taking into account picks and cap).

On that basis. If you are confident trading him is the right thing to do, then you should have no problems trading him to any team in the NFL including the 49ers and NFC North teams. 

If you make the decision to trade him then take best offer that Rodgers for a team Rodgers will play for and move on. Regardless of whether its 49ers or whoever.

Reality is if you were 40 and had generational wealth then you wouldn't take a job you didn't want to take so Rodgers probably would retire if he was unhappy with the trade - anyone critical of that is a pure hypocrite. So you have to respect that and get what you can. Obviously you can hold your ground if the only acceptable team/s offer something inadequate.

Weird logic. You get the most you can for him since he's close to retirement and is too obstinate to adjust his playstyle while he remains in GB. It has nothing to do with winning or losing a trade. You can be confident trading him is the right thing to do and still not want to face him once or twice a year. It comes down to getting something back before he retires. May or may not happen but the team has to try to restock and reload by getting picks in return before he's gone. 

13 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, that's a FAR cry from nothing that Pugger was talking about.

The best pick SF has to offer this year is a 3rd.  I would hope we could do better than that but also getting the 9ers' 1st and 2nd in 2024 is okay I suppose.  But is SF even in the market for a vet QB?  They spent a lot of draft capital to move up and get Trey Lance.  They also have a nice option with Purdy.   Would they trade for Rodgers and let Lance sit?  If Gute and company are ready to move on with Love I would hope we send AR to NY or LV and get the higher picks this year.

Edited by Pugger

If Rodgers says he wants to come back and dictate terms, I'd handle it similar to how they handled the Favre/Rodgers situation.

"Ok Aaron you can come back, but we think it's Loves time. He showed as much as Philly as you did vs Dallas all those years ago. You are welcome to come back, but you'd have to beat him out, and that will require you to actually buy in and run the offense the way the coaches want. No we aren't letting you pick where you are traded. If you don't like the situation here, we can move you but we are going to make the best trade for the organization. We will work with you but there are limits."

Edited by spilltray