Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

21 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I really, and I mean REALLY think you should go to google and type in this phrase.  

"Who elects the NFL Commissioner?"

After that?  Type in "Who can fire the NFL Commissioner?"

What happened to Goodell after Deflategate?  Kraft was pissed

What happened to Goodell after took draft picks away from teams?

What happened to Goodell after players are suspended?

What happened to Goodell after he suspended Sean Payton for a year??

Answer: The owners were so pissed they gave him a raise.

Goodell has to run the league, and he works for the owners, NOBODY IS DISPUTING THAT!!

Edited by NFLGURU

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Don't like the sound of that last sentence, Andrew...

I really hope that what is holding this up is Gute is trying to get the pick he lost for having to trade for Cobb.

Just so he can get in front of the media and when they ask he can be like: well our player/gm that has been demanding things, was poor with asset management. I needed to clean up his mess.

Edited by Green19

3 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Goodell has to run the league, and he works for the owners, NOBODY IS DISPUTING THAT!!

In other words, Goodell isn't forcing GB or the Jets to consummate a trade, because it is none of his business.

Which is exactly what the owners of both clubs will tell him if he tries to intervene.

Because he works for the owners.  Period.  End of Story.  Saying otherwise is silly.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

In other words, Goodell isn't forcing GB or the Jets to consummate a trade, because it is none of his business.

Which is exactly what the owners of both clubs will tell him if he tries to intervene.

Because he works for the owners.  Period.  End of Story.  Saying otherwise is silly.

Nobody is saying otherwise. He works for the owners and isnt forcing anything.

Edited by NFLGURU

13 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I guess I would add, a lot of these examples is Goodell and a team.

The deflategate stuff, yeah… Kraft was pissed. But it’s 31 owners against 1. When there is action that needs to occur, Goodell will.

The point I think others are making is trade negotiations, regardless how public some make them… do not rise to the level of Goodell or the league needing to get involved. This is literally business for the nfl, and to punish teams negotiating set bad precedence.

I’m sure the other 30 owners arent sitting there going… man this Aaron Rodgers trade situation is bad for business. Likely the reverse is true. They are laughing at the packers and jets while they are locked into this and are thinking about all the ad dollars they can charge because they drive news cycles.

Edited by Green19
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Goodell getting Woody Johnson and Murphy on the conference call and saying "Youve been haggling for 5 months, Our season starts in 2 weeks let's get the Rodgers situation fixed, trade him or don't trade him, let's resolve this  You guys figure it out over the next week"

The NFL is all over that kinda stuff, it's what they do.  The NFL does what's in the NFLs best interest, and having Aaron Rodgers bogged down in trade issues for 5 months and missing games isn't in the NFLs best interest. 

14 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Nobody is saying otherwise. He works for the owners and isnt forcing anything.

Uh, weren't you arguing that in the post above?  Saying that Goodell will get involved to get the trade done?  Because that is what it looks like to me.

And when that happens, he will be appropriately put in his place by his bosses.

No rules have been broken to warrant discipline.  He isn't getting involved.  Because it is not his place to get involved in the trade business.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I guess I would add, a lot of these examples is Goodell and a team.

The deflategate stuff, yeah… Kraft was pissed. But it’s 31 owners against 1. When there is action that needs to occur, Goodell will.

The point I think others are making is trade negotiations, regardless how public some make them… do not rise to the level of Goodell or the league needing to get involved. This is literally business for the nfl, and to punish teams negotiating set bad precedence.

I’m sure the other 30 owners arent sitting there going… man this Aaron Rodgers trade situation is bad for business. Likely the reverse is true. They are laughing at the packers and jets while they are locked into this and are thinking about all the ad dollars they can charge because they drive news cycles.

If NFL rules are broken, Goodell gets involved.  He was elected by the owners for that kind of thing.

For a trade, no rules are broken.  He has no authority, or reason, to act on anything.  

I'd take it a step further...if he does....that action could upset all of them, because it is exceeding the power he was given by them.  No one is going to want him negotiating their trades either.

Just now, vegas492 said:

If NFL rules are broken, Goodell gets involved.  He was elected by the owners for that kind of thing.

For a trade, no rules are broken.  He has no authority, or reason, to act on anything.  

I'd take it a step further...if he does....that action could upset all of them, because it is exceeding the power he was given by them.  No one is going to want him negotiating their trades either.

Disagree.  Aaron Rodgers playing is a business decision that would benefit the entire league.  It's money, owners arent going to be pissed about that.  

Now if Goodell is trying to dictate terms of a Rodgers deal, yes that's out of bounds.  Encouraging them to finish the deal one way or the other isn't IMO.  Theres no punishment involved if they dont.

5 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Disagree.  Aaron Rodgers playing is a business decision that would benefit the entire league.  It's money, owners arent going to be pissed about that.  

Find me any rules that state that the commissioner of the NFL can act on a possible "business decision".

Cuz right now I'm LOL'ing at that statement.

I don't feel there is any way in hell that the owners would ever concede that kind of power to a commissioner of their league and their businesses.

So tell me how I'm wrong by citing the duties of the NFL commissioner.  Not a gut feeling.

Hell, I think the NFLPA would have a hard time if he had that kind of power as well.

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

There should be 15 owners in the afc who are not interested in this trade proceeding swiftly. This suggestion of goodell stepping in is as  nonsensical as the fair offer proposed a few pages back

Hey, maybe the NFL should step in and force GB to trade Rodgers to San Francisco.

Get him into a bigger market that will draw more ratings and all owners will get a few more bucks in their pocket.

Or...get Rodgers to New England, because everyone in the country wants to see BB now win one without Brady.

Or....go with me on this....NFL puts a team overseas.  Forces GB to send Rodgers there to fill those stands with fans so that every other owner can make more money.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

It was brought up some pages back and not sure it was answered but Andrew Brandt said that option bonus kicks in from today and is active till the before the seasons starts. Maybe, as that was alluded to, that is the hold up in the announcement of the deal. Maybe…

Not sure what he is thinking. March 17th was the first day that they “could” exercise the bonus, but that doesn’t mean they have to exercise it yet. They have until Week 1 of the regular season to exercise it. & all those contract terms/options would apply to the Jets after a trade, regardless of when the trade happens (unless AR reworks his deal), so I don’t think March 17 is a sticking point for either side.

There is zero chance GB would exercise it and then trade him prior to June 1st, because that would nuke their cap. Even if the NYJ promised them their next ten 1st-rounders, GB couldn’t do it.