Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Then perhaps hire a coach that wasn't meant to come in and treat your star QB with kid gloves. lol the fact that a 39 year old QB needs to be treated with kid gloves is hilarious enough in itself. 

I'll blame 12 for his **** play and his **** demeanor and his **** ego then. 

Welcome to having an aging star QB.

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Brady is retiring.  That takes him out of the SF option.  It opens the door for Rodgers to say "Trade me to San Fran, I'm not going anywhere else".

What's your next move, Gute?

I'm not sure about the next move, but I'd say Brady retiring pretty much ensures that Rodgers doesn't retire- sharing the spotlight and all

• Like 1

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

They'd be smart to absorb the entire hit this season. GB should actually be sitting pretty good in terms of cap in 2024, even if they restructure some guys this season. 2024 is your "go for it" year with Love (assuming he shows promise in 2023). 

2023 is set up to be a go-for-it season with our 3rd place schedule. 

We saw that Philly got a cake walk to the SB because of the #1 seed this year.

I wouldn't mortgage 2023 chances if I'm looking at this.

Just now, incognito_man said:

2023 is set up to be a go-for-it season with our 3rd place schedule. 

We saw that Philly got a cake walk to the SB because of the #1 seed this year.

I wouldn't mortgage 2023 chances if I'm looking at this.

I just think it's too much to ask that much from Love in his first year as a starter. Hell, even in 2008, Rodgers went 6-10 in the first year before taking off. If Love starts this season, I am tempering my expectations to a .500 type of year. I would actually try to save money in 2023 (if you go with Love) and then be more active in FA for 2024 and beyond. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I just think it's too much to ask that much from Love in his first year as a starter. Hell, even in 2008, Rodgers went 6-10 in the first year before taking off. If Love starts this season, I am tempering my expectations to a .500 type of year. I would actually try to save money in 2023 (if you go with Love) and then be more active in FA for 2024 and beyond. 

Brock Purdy looked fine as a 7th round rookie going for it.

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

To go along with this idea, I'd actually be somewhat OK with getting 2024 picks instead of 2023 picks in a trade. 

It spreads out the cap hit if Rodgers is traded post June 1, and allows GB a little more flexibility if Love is a complete bust. If Love goes 4-13 and you're picking 3rd in the draft but have an extra first rounder, you have some room to move up a few spots to get someone like Caleb Williams

16 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Brady is retiring.  That takes him out of the SF option.  It opens the door for Rodgers to say "Trade me to San Fran, I'm not going anywhere else".

What's your next move, Gute?

Then he can retire or stay in GB and have the entire GB fan base thinks he's an asshat.  Don't think he'll let his ego go the way of Brett Favre.  

2 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

You wouldn't be able to Trade 2023 picks and still designate it post June 1 though.

Have the other team go through the motions of making picks/trades for us in those slots. Seems like this is what happens in the NBA draft, although I could be wrong about that point.

Edited by Old Guy

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Then restructure him with a void year or two and trade him. 

There's literally nothing to restructure. The massive dead cap is all from previous restructures.

The future massive dead cap is already guaranteed to Rodgers, now the game is all about figuring out which team will pay it to him.