Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

Anybody think Rodgers came out and asked for a trade during his end of season talk with MLF and Gute? It's about the only thing that makes sense. Both MLF and Gute came out and said they want him back. Now, rumors are they want to trade him.

Just get a feeling this Rodgers trade thing is a done deal. The Packers and Rodgers have known this was the direction they were moving since before he left Green Bay for the off season. 

5 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Gronk was probably still viewed at a top end TE at the time.  But maybe not elite anymore due to injuries.

Suh then and now was a journeyman, right?  Spot starter, rotational guy, but the same guy he was in his prime.

Just pointing those two out to make this point...  Very good players, but not in their primes anymore.

Who exactly has joined the Packers because Rodgers is there? Cobb?  And...and...and....

I mean, his #1 target bailed on him last season, despite getting offered more money to stay in Green Bay.

Then his arguably #2 targeted bailed on him as well.

So maybe we have Lewis returning because of Rodgers?  He isn't in the same tier as Suh or Gronk were.  Neither is Cobb.

Anyone else sign as a FA because of Rodgers?  I'm legit asking.  Because there has to be someone.  Like maybe Peppers.  Though I don't know if he ever said that.  Woodson came here because we offered him the most money, he did not want to be here.  I assume Pickett came here because we offered him the most money.  Campbell too.

Same with guys like Z Smith, PSmith, Amos, etc - it was because of top dollar. But I'm referring more to the traded QB who gets the FAs. 

Just a trend I noticed. Patriots and Colts weren't unusually active in FA and such. When Brady and Peyton moved to new teams, it's like a call went out - get ya Super Bowl Rings hee-aah!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I can assure you that there's little chance he plays the 2025 and 2026 season under his current contract.

The dead hit from his retirement, if he files his ppw after June 1, 2025, would still be split. An option to keep things flexible, at least, for the receiving team.

Edit: to be clear, since I realize the vagueness of my original post, I was suggesting two years of playing, four years of cap hits.

Edited by Sandy

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

Anybody think Rodgers came out and asked for a trade during his end of season talk with MLF and Gute? It's about the only thing that makes sense. Both MLF and Gute came out and said they want him back. Now, rumors are they want to trade him.

Just get a feeling this Rodgers trade thing is a done deal. The Packers and Rodgers have known this was the direction they were moving since before he left Green Bay for the off season. 

TRIPLE POST

I actually just watched Gute's end of season presser again last night..the answer to "do you want Rodgers back" was an awkward "we want all our players back". Didn't notice at the time because MLF was so sincere in his own presser, but he sounded like he knew already.

16 hours ago, incognito_man said:

It really doesn't at all. He's at like $18 and $31mil in cap hit the next two years. His contract is a positive to a trading team.

You'll still end up paying 60M against the cap for one year performance. Option bonus is a plus for the Packers, together with those two dummy years in the contract, but the reality is that nowadays you can do that type of thing in any contract. It's still a negative. 60M in new money in a second year of a contract is so far from any other QB contract.

Edited by VonKarman

5 hours ago, VonKarman said:

You'll still end up paying 60M against the cap for one year performance. Option bonus is a plus for the Packers, together with those two dummy years in the contract, but the reality is that nowadays you can do that type of thing in any contract. It's still a negative. 60M in new money in a second year of a contract is so far from any other QB contract.

No matter what .. the $$ have to be paid whatever happens.  Just as soon somebody take him, get drafts picks, clear the books which will be painful regardless and move on.

With Brady retiring, that takes a quality qb off the market that teams could have "gotten" without giving up draft picks.  Not much out there to compete with Rodgers for any team needing a qb to get them over the top.  This couldn't have worked out better for the Packers and Rodgers will be in even more demand.  Doesn't mean anything if Packers decide to keep him but with Hackett joining the Jets and Brady retiring the odds of Rodgers elsewhere just went up. 

Edited by coachbuns

17 hours ago, R T said:

Is 2023 Rodgers really much better than Tannehill? I don't think he is.  

Rodgers with a broken thumb on his throwing hand is slightly better than a healthy Tannehill.  IMO.

If Rodgers has a healthy throwing hand, I don't think it is even close.  The question is whether or not he'd buy into handing the ball off over and over again to King Henry and not go rogue changing plays.