Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

7 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The problem is Rodgers has to agree to go to team X.  Team X knows the Packer have to trade him there, so they offer peanuts for him knowing Rodgers wants to go there and probably won't agree to go anywhere else.

Well, when it gets to that I'm sure the Packers are going to ask for multiple destinations. Also, if Rodgers decide he wants to play, that sort of negates some of that leverage. Remember this isn't going down until the new league year starts anyway. 

I think you'll have an answer as to if Rodgers is playing before then. 

11 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

The problem is Rodgers has to agree to go to team X.  Team X knows the Packer have to trade him there, so they offer peanuts for him knowing Rodgers wants to go there and probably won't agree to go anywhere else.

Yup.  GB doesn't have to trade him, just like Rodgers doesn't have to go to a new team he doesn't want to go to.  

Rodgers holds nearly all the leverage on where he plays in 2023 and any team he would be willing to play go will know that.  

I'm not sure why Rodgers woul want a new team to have to give up key assets in the process.

20 minutes ago, Refugee said:

This is all just based of the Schefter stuff. I’m not saying it’s not a bit smokey out there, but not every story is based on real info. Even the past few seasons I saw no way AR was not in GB, even if I was personally ready to see him go. This year, I think it’s a stronger possibility than it even has been but not stronger than that he stays. I guess I’ll believe it when I see it. We are entering smoke season between the SB and the draft. A lot of QBs need a new team and a lot of new coaches need their QB. This year there will be a lot of rumors and plenty of real moves by the end. Smoke ‘em if you’ve got ‘em. 

Yah I hear you.  Problem for me is I believe it.  Don't expect any news for a few weeks yet.  Rodgers was super cool in his presser.  Regardless of whether he stays or goes no animosity and is grateful to the organization for all they have done for him.  Really a perfect response.  Love the guy as a player and a person but keeping in GB no longer makes sense.  The Packers are not a contender anymore.  Nah man I think there has been some backdoor discussions already.  Everybody is just waiting to see if Rodgers wants to keep playing.  "prefer to move on"  that language is rather telling.  

18 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Anyone else would be fine if we were to get only a third rounder? It's more important to offload that contract and see what we got in Love than getting multiple picks.

That would be a terribly inadequate return for a guy who can still do some things most others cannot. He’s still a rare talent even if his game has decline a tic or two. If he was dropped in the right situation and fully committed, he could still take a team all the way. I don’t know where that would be but he will have several teams that would welcome him. GB will still be paying part of his contract if he does move on. That alone means we need more than a 3rd. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Yah I hear you.  Problem for me is I believe it.  Don't expect any news for a few weeks yet.  Rodgers was super cool in his presser.  Regardless of whether he stays or goes no animosity and is grateful to the organization for all they have done for him.  Really a perfect response.  Love the guy as a player and a person but keeping in GB no longer makes sense.  The Packers are not a contender anymore.  Nah man I think there has been some backdoor discussions already.  Everybody is just waiting to see if Rodgers wants to keep playing.  "prefer to move on"  that language is rather telling.  

I understand I’m just saying putting quotes around “prefer to move on” is just something from a Schefter article attributed to “League sources”.  I’m not saying there are not conversations, just that this particular article doesn’t seem like any credible insider information. 

8 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

Anyone else would be fine if we were to get only a third rounder? It's more important to offload that contract and see what we got in Love than getting multiple picks.

it is an interesting process for sure.  seems like there are a few scenarios on how this plays out

• Rodgers is back in GB
    • GB has to pick up the 2023 option bonus continues the cap limitations for 2023 and 2024
  • Rodgers retires
  • Rodgers is traded
    • GB takes on a sizeable cap hit for 2023, but can clear the contract off for 2024
    • Rodgers wants to play for a contender (not be part of a rebuilding process) that also needs a QB
      • Does the team have weapons on offense?
      • Does the team have a path to division/playoff success?
      • Does the team have the cap space?

That last point is key in that it limits the prospective teams. 

• NYJ
  • LV -- though I think they have a harder path to playoff success with decent, but aging weapons
  • TEN -- I think they lack weapons and are on the decline 
  • WAS
  • CAR
  • SF

Teams/QB in red are those that are either set at the QB spot, or don't have a clear path to cap space, weapons.  Teams in Green are options.  Teams in white are more unknowns.  

Buffalo Allen CIN Burrow JAX Lawrence KC Mahomes
Miami Tua CLE Watson HOU Rookie LV ??
NE Mac Jones ?? PIT Pickett TEN Tannehill ?? DEN Wilson
NYJ ??? BAL ??Lamarr?? IND ?? LAC Herbert

NYG ??Jones?? DET Goff CAR ?? ARI Murray
DAL Prescott CHI Fields/Rookie ATL ?? LAR Stafford
PHI Hurts MIN Cousins TB ?? SEA Geno Smith
WAS ??     NO ?? SF ??

10 minutes ago, Refugee said:

That would be a terribly inadequate return for a guy who can still do some things most others cannot. He’s still a rare talent even if his game has decline a tic or two. If he was dropped in the right situation and fully committed, he could still take a team all the way. I don’t know where that would be but he will have several teams that would welcome him. GB will still be paying part of his contract if he does move on. That alone means we need more than a 3rd. 

I agree that Rodgers is worth more than a 3rd.  What is the incentive for Rodgers to go to a team that also has to give up key players or premium picks?

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree that Rodgers is worth more than a 3rd.  What is the incentive for Rodgers to go to a team that also has to give up key players or premium picks?

Well premium draft picks those are for the future.  Pretty rare that a rook even a top 5 rook comes in and lights it up.  Usually in year 2 or 3.  Don't think that would be a deal breaker.  However giving up key players might be an issue.  Rodgers will want to win now.  What happens in a few years don't think will concern him all that much. 

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

If they’ve got a strong OLine and defense with a few weapons, I doubt he cares if they have a premium rookie draft pick. He wants win now vets the way TB stepped into TB. If there is a team that can convince him that they are built for that, he would probably go. I still think the Packers are as intriguing as any new team with the obvious continuity. 

Just now, squire12 said:

Yes, if he is traded to a team that can afford him would they have the team around him that is any better than the situation  presently in GB?  Could this new team afford to keep most of their premium players after they take on AR's salary?  A lot of folks here say NYJ is a good spot for him but we'd have to get more than a first round pick because NY's pick is only 3 ahead of ours.  

4 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

Well premium draft picks those are for the future.  Pretty rare that a rook even a top 5 rook comes in and lights it up.  Usually in year 2 or 3.  Don't think that would be a deal breaker.  However giving up key players might be an issue.  Rodgers will want to win now.  What happens in a few years don't think will concern him all that much. 

Draft picks can be used to trade for other pieces to fill holes more immediately.  

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

If they’ve got a strong OLine and defense with a few weapons, I doubt he cares if they have a premium rookie draft pick. He wants win now vets the way TB stepped into TB. If there is a team that can convince him that they are built for that, he would probably go. I still think the Packers are as intriguing as any new team with the obvious continuity. 

Draft pick could be used to add another key piece.   See PHI adding AJ Brown in 2022

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

Is there a team out there that Rodgers could join that would be similar to the situation Brady found in Tampa?  And would we get enough compensation from that team to make it worthwhile for us besides unloading that contract?  AR is not a FA like Brady was when he joined the Bucs.

5 minutes ago, Pugger said:

A lot of folks here say NYJ is a good spot for him but we'd have to get more than a first round pick because NY's pick is only 3 ahead of ours.  

So if Rodgers wanted to go to NYJ and only there.  He could tell GB, that is my preferred destination.  Why would NYJ give up premium assets if they are bidding against themselves?