Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

12 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm surprised this is even being reported as news, it was very clear from Aaron's tone that he said it in jest. We still have the Super Bowl to go, we shouldn't be in full off-season mode already.

Anything and everything will be reported as concrete news now that we are in smoke season. This was a guy heckling him during his backswing playing golf. Also said he’d look good with a star on his helmet. People will send out a tweet, saying anything, wait for someone to reference it then use that reference as if it is a real story. I want to know what direction he and we as a team (yes we) will go but it won’t be til after the Super Bowl. 

Right as the season ended I would have given maybe a 20% chance that AR doesn’t play here next season. My feeling is it may be closer to 50/50 now but that’s based on rumors and looking at other teams’ situations that make it seem more possible. 

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

I'm about 75% traded, 25% here. 

I think they did tell him that they want him back, but they also told him, Cobb is gone, Lazard is probably pricing himself out of our range, Tonyan is gone, and we can bring back Big Dog and obviously Bakh is back.

I don't think that's good enough for Aaron. However, I also think he will consider what another season in the home and locker room he's known his whole career with year 2 Doubs and Watson will be like. That's why I'm only 75%.

If he leaves, I think you can safely assume if SB is #1 on his mind, he's going to go to the Jets. If playing ball with his buds and putting up stats is how he wants to end his career, LV is the choice. Tennessee is the only dark horse. All other options are pretty close to 0% and aren't worth discussing.

I agree with pretty much 100% of this. Leaning towards the dark horse but it's a three team race.

From the Ringer article by Ben Solak

While it appears from the outside that the Colts are undergoing an extensive search, my sense from speaking to league personnel and people close to the Colts’ search is that team owner Jim Irsay wants to hire interim head coach Jeff Saturday as the permanent head coach, and that is the expected outcome.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/nfl/2023/2/3/23584026/senior-bowl-notebook

If this indeed does happen then they should be seriously involved in the bidding war. Irsay is desperate for a QB and Saturday has familiarity with Rodgers from his time in GB. Saturday would want to ensure his job security and what better than to do it with a HOF quarterback. The motivations of those two individuals should make them serious players for Rodgers and they have that really nice #4 pick waiting for us.

oh-yeah-evil-smile.gif

5 hours ago, Chili said:

If this indeed does happen then they should be seriously involved in the bidding war. Irsay is desperate for a QB and Saturday has familiarity with Rodgers from his time in GB. Saturday would want to ensure his job security and what better than to do it with a HOF quarterback. The motivations of those two individuals should make them serious players for Rodgers and they have that really nice #4 pick waiting for us.

oh-yeah-evil-smile.gif

No way Rodgers wants to join that roster with a 1-7 "HC" who's only there because of nepotism.

This place is going to be a real hoot when Aaron decides he wants no part of the AFC on a team that even with him will still be slated behind the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals and their QBs. You can probably throw the Chargers in there too and possibly the Dolphins if Tua is keeps playing. Rodgers tells the Packers he wants to keep playing in Green Bay with some of his pals where he feels he can still be the top QB in the conference even at age 39. Take a look at the NFC, it ain't pretty. Rodgers will talk of some of the bad luck they encountered, the injuries (his, Bakhtiari, Gary), the difficult adjustment to young receivers, and how excited he is about them going forward with a year under their belts.

Yes, it's that simple. If Rodgers insists on staying put, in the end he'll get his way. He'll work with them on his deal and play it off as to how dedicated he is to the organization and Jordan Love will be sent on his way. Sounds nightmarish, especially if Love goes on to have a successful career, but it is very likely what will unfold.

It's wild that things have basically reached the point that everyone thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Rodgers is going to be traded. No one seems to be talking about the possibility of Rodgers continuing to play in Green Bay anymore. That's what makes the coming reaction when he stays and Jordan is moved so interesting to anticipate.

16 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This place is going to be a real hoot when Aaron decides he wants no part of the AFC on a team that even with him will still be slated behind the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals and their QBs. You can probably throw the Chargers in there too and possibly the Dolphins if Tua is keeps playing. Rodgers tells the Packers he wants to keep playing in Green Bay with some of his pals where he feels he can still be the top QB in the conference even at age 39. Take a look at the NFC, it ain't pretty. Rodgers will talk of some of the bad luck they encountered, the injuries (his, Bakhtiari, Gary), the difficult adjustment to young receivers, and how excited he is about them going forward with a year under their belts.

Yes, it's that simple. If Rodgers insists on staying put, in the end he'll get his way. He'll work with them on his deal and play it off as to how dedicated he is to the organization and Jordan Love will be sent on his way. Sounds nightmarish, especially if Love goes on to have a successful career, but it is very likely what will unfold.

It's wild that things have basically reached the point that everyone thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Rodgers is going to be traded. No one seems to be talking about the possibility of Rodgers continuing to play in Green Bay anymore. That's what makes the coming reaction when he stays and Jordan is moved so interesting to anticipate.

I've reached no conclusions about what will happen....I just think it's time.

I've watched playoffs in recent years and seen QBs / teams "overcoming" adversity in the toughest games. I've lost confidence thats still possible with AR. That we've seen his ceiling and it's to fold when the going gets tough in the Playoffs. Could I be wrong? Sure. If he comes back, will I hope I'm wrong? Without a doubt - but I've got a sneaky suspicion I'm not wrong. That plus his ascending cost.....I'll be okay if a change is made and we can start to put our cap back in functional order / balance - once again procure players.

Edited by Leader

31 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

And everybody from Murphy on down needs to be fired if that is the conclusion this comes to. 

As for Rodgers, he wants to win another MVP to tie Manning. He never said anything about championships, he spoke about winning another MVP. His best shot at this is with Adams in Vegas. 

29 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

This place is going to be a real hoot when Aaron decides he wants no part of the AFC on a team that even with him will still be slated behind the Chiefs, Bills, and Bengals and their QBs. You can probably throw the Chargers in there too and possibly the Dolphins if Tua is keeps playing.

Certainly possible Rodgers would not desire playing in the AFC. If Rodgers landed with the Jets, battling 3 other very solid teams for division and then 5+ other teams for 3 WC spots.

Bill, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets

Bengals, Steelers, Ravens

Jaguars

Chiefs, Chargers

29 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Rodgers tells the Packers he wants to keep playing in Green Bay with some of his pals where he feels he can still be the top QB in the conference even at age 39. Take a look at the NFC, it ain't pretty. Rodgers will talk of some of the bad luck they encountered, the injuries (his, Bakhtiari, Gary), the difficult adjustment to young receivers, and how excited he is about them going forward with a year under their belts.

This might be the key aspect of Rodgers decision....how many of his buddies are retained.

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

And everybody from Murphy on down needs to be fired if that is the conclusion this comes to. 

As for Rodgers, he wants to win another MVP to tie Manning. He never said anything about championships, he spoke about winning another MVP. His best shot at this is with Adams in Vegas. 

I don't think LV makes the playoffs and it is really hard to win MVP as a non-playoff team.

12 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I don't think LV makes the playoffs and it is really hard to win MVP as a non-playoff team.

I think Rodgers makes them the second-best team in that division. They have some real injury issues this year. Waller and Renfrow missed a ton of games. 

They've got more pieces than people think, including a couple of really good pass rushers. 

Also, we're talking about a narcissist who thinks he's the answer to every team's problem. 

Edited by Old Guy

7 hours ago, Chili said:

oh-yeah-evil-smile.gif

The 4th pick sounds great, but we'd likely be trading out of that slot for a team wanting a quarterback. The Bears have mentioned they would like to trade out of the 1st slot for a team wanting a QB. The only team looking for a QB in front of the Colts presently is Houston. 

There are two studs in this draft (Will Anderson and Jalen Carter) and then a significant drop off. The current order you have the Bears taking one of them and Arizona the other. The Bears have to land one of those two players and they know it. 

I'd love the #4 pick, but it's not as valuable as years past, unless you get a team really itching for a QB. 

19 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

I don't buy the notion that Rodgers would rather be in the NFC because he feels he can't compete with the young AFC QB studs. If Rodgers feels he can't compete with the top guys, that is what would make him retire. 

I don't think it's a solid thing.  Rodgers said he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.  To me, that implies a realistic path to playoffs.  That is a 10 deep group of teams, without including Browns and Titans

Jaguars

Chiefs, Chargers

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I don't think it's a solid thing.  Rodgers said he doesn't want to be part of a rebuild.  To me, that implies a realistic path to playoffs.  That is a 10 deep group of teams, without including Browns and Titans

Jaguars

Chiefs, Chargers

There is usually a 50% turnover in playoff teams. Looking at this list I could see the Patriots, Jets, Steelers, Ravens and Chargers not making the playoffs next year. I'm not sold on the Dolphins because you can't trust Tua to be healthy. 

Bills, Jags, Chiefs and Bengals seem solid, assuming their QB's stay healthy.