2023 STEELERS NFL DRAFT PROSPECTS

armsteeld

45 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Carter is not falling out of the top 10.  And why does anyone think that Houston would not take him at 12?  Character issues?  Bah!

giphy.gif

I would love for him to fall to 10ish and go get him, but the reality is his "fall" on draft day will be stopped by the hawks at 5. Huge need for them and they absolutely would not be scared off by his 2 misdemeanors. 

49 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Carter is not falling out of the top 10.  And why does anyone think that Houston would not take him at 12?  Character issues?  Bah!

giphy.gif

Did you read the article?

Im not saying it will happen, just bringing it up for the sake of discussion

Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Has anyone watched Banks play? Seriously. The guy is not what you guys think he is. Yeah he tested like a great athlete but it doesn't translate on film. Watching Banks and maybe some of you guys will like this, here reminds me of Joy part of Junior. Tall lanky cornerbacks that struggle breaking down, redirecting , covering and breaking on routes. They are best covering vertical vertical vertical routes.

Banks has 11 career pass deflections. 11! With 2 career interceptions and you want him at #17? 🤢 🤢 🤮

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Has anyone watched Banks play? Seriously. The guy is not what you guys think he is. Yeah he tested like a great athlete but it doesn't translate on film. Watching Banks and maybe some of you guys will like this, here reminds me of Joy part of Junior. Tall lanky cornerbacks that struggle breaking down, redirecting , covering and breaking on routes. They are best covering vertical vertical vertical routes.

Banks has 11 career pass deflections. 11! With 2 career interceptions and you want him at #17? 🤢 🤢 🤮

He’s a guy I’d take if you also took a second limited but effective corner. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, armsteeld said:

not at 17, forget that, trade down from 17 unless the right player is there. 

Banks actually reminds me a bit of Ike , probably not the best for INT's but physical and covers well. Not my preferred corner, but should be decent and perhaps coaching will make him better.  He's 6ft tall, I never knew that to lanky/tall .

Forbes and Smith would be the 2 I would hope to get 17 and 32 if they do that. I doubt it happens, last time they went first  2 picks for a position was 2007 IIRC

29 minutes ago, mwalker said:

I still prefer C.Smith and D.Witherspoon.

Smith might be there, I expect Witherspoon to be gone though unless his hamstring becomes problematic 

4 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Banks is a guy that could succeed in a system catered toward CBs that can't move laterally. He'd be good with Pete Carroll or with the Pats. I want a guy you can put on an island and he can succeed. Banks aint that. 

we all want that player, Steelers haven't had that player since Woodson.  I just want solid CB's that can cover AND intercept.  Forbes could probably play WR if needed to with his ability to catch.  He's the Pickens of Cb's in this draft, makes it look so easy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, armsteeld said:

The only WR I want from this draft class. He is my insurance in case Pickens gets dinged up...

this could be a good pick, see if they take a chance. There is always a chance others get hurt (Austin last year) as well so WR depth is a must anyways.  Brents didn't look too good on that play did he O.o

5 hours ago, 3rivers said:

this could be a good pick, see if they take a chance. There is always a chance others get hurt (Austin last year) as well so WR depth is a must anyways.  Brents didn't look too good on that play did he O.o

People are too enamored with the combine. TCU WR really worked Brent's over. I wouldn't mind getting a H/W/S CB but in the later rounds.

8 hours ago, armsteeld said:

The only WR I want from this draft class. He is my insurance in case Pickens gets dinged up...

Ofph. Only? I think there’s some fair mid-round value WRs in this draft. 

IMO WR is turning into one of the harder positions for arm chair GMs like us to evaluate. So many teams are running spread offenses without traditional routes, where the WRs job is to sit in zones. Defenses are starting to go away from that to more man concepts making that harder to do, but even then offenses aren’t being pushed enough to get WRs a good complicated route tree. 

Personally this is part of my issue with NCAA football. Winning and just putting good players on the field and asking them to make plays is more important to developing guys. I think that’s why Bama is slipping and Clemson was a short window. Players don’t want that anymore because people advising them (I know Buckey Brooks does this a lot) say that the only development is playing. Additionally there isn’t time to do it. NCAA restricts, especially offseason, contact with players so coaches got to just hope they worked on things on their own. 

I wish there was incentive to develop players at that level. AD’s should give bonuses to coaches based on what players do at the next level. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, armsteeld said:

It is why you do not make choices based on combine results unless you are projecting.  I do agree, in this draft, they can do better at CB.  I would take Forbes over Banks without hesitation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Ofph. Only? I think there’s some fair mid-round value WRs in this draft. 

IMO WR is turning into one of the harder positions for arm chair GMs like us to evaluate. So many teams are running spread offenses without traditional routes, where the WRs job is to sit in zones. Defenses are starting to go away from that to more man concepts making that harder to do, but even then offenses aren’t being pushed enough to get WRs a good complicated route tree. 

Personally this is part of my issue with NCAA football. Winning and just putting good players on the field and asking them to make plays is more important to developing guys. I think that’s why Bama is slipping and Clemson was a short window. Players don’t want that anymore because people advising them (I know Buckey Brooks does this a lot) say that the only development is playing. Additionally there isn’t time to do it. NCAA restricts, especially offseason, contact with players so coaches got to just hope they worked on things on their own. 

I wish there was incentive to develop players at that level. AD’s should give bonuses to coaches based on what players do at the next level. 

Scouts pay attention to college teams that develop players at certain positions.  I would draft just tOSU WR if I had a chance.  Their coach must pound it into them on route running.  Wisconsin and Mich for oline play.  Any pro-style offense gets QBs more ready than a spread.

I will say that ADs only care about winning so that the alum donate for the program.  They would not give a rat's butt about what their players do in the NFL unless they are making money AND donating it to the program.  So most college coaches only care about winning.  Coaching their players on just enough to run the system.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, armsteeld said:

Day 3.  Maybe 5th rounder.  Big guy who can't run routes or get seperation.

I would look at Puca Nacua ( BYU) for that.  He just needs to learn to run routes.  you could also look at Grant Dubose ( UNC Charlotte).

I wish more WR had done 3 cone drills 😞