Packers Draft Pick Watch - 14th pick

Ronald323

34 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Clearly we should lose out t this point.

There is no way McCarthy will purposely lose games.  You don't want that kind of thinking at 1265.  I doubt what happens in the next 2 weeks is going to dramatically change our draft position if we win or lose but I might be wrong...

3 minutes ago, Pugger said:

There is no way McCarthy will purposely lose games.  You don't want that kind of thinking at 1265.  I doubt what happens in the next 2 weeks is going to dramatically change our draft position if we win or lose but I might be wrong...

I don't think McCarthy will intentionally lose out either, but not doing so is a stupid move.

9 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Pugger, got what you asked for....Marvin Lewis won't be back in Cinci next year.....

The players and coaches shouldn’t “lose out”... having said that management should weight things appropriately. With Green Bay out of the playoffs... shut Aaron down, the reward is no longer there to risk him for.

Adams is like out next game anyways... so just shut him down. House has a bad shoulder, shut him down. Perry is injuried like always, shut him down.

Basically all the guys we have heavy investments in... if injured... just shut down.

with that McCarthy and the team still play to win but won’t be able to compete talent wise and just lose naturally as an outcome.

In doing so few things happen... management protects players (win brownie points), protect their investment, gives the coaches a built in excuse for losing, also allows Green Bay to claim they aren’t throwing the season but get the benefits of being a 7-9 team.

42 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Would losing the next 2 games improve our draft position all that much?  Otherwise, why tank?

the difference is pretty significant. average draft position of a 7-9 team is #12.6 while avg draft position of a non-playoff 9-7 team is #18.1. If you translate those draft positions into the value chart, the 7-9 team has about 370 more "points" of draft capital, which equates to an extra mid-2nd round pick .

if you look at the extremes over the last 3 yrs, 7-9 team s can be as high as #10, while non-playoff 9-7 teams can be as low as #20. the difference in those positions equates to an extra 1st-round pick. 

2 hours ago, Green19 said:

The players and coaches shouldn’t “lose out”... having said that management should weight things appropriately. With Green Bay out of the playoffs... shut Aaron down, the reward is no longer there to risk him for.

Adams is like out next game anyways... so just shut him down. House has a bad shoulder, shut him down. Perry is injuried like always, shut him down.

Basically all the guys we have heavy investments in... if injured... just shut down.

with that McCarthy and the team still play to win but won’t be able to compete talent wise and just lose naturally as an outcome.

In doing so few things happen... management protects players (win brownie points), protect their investment, gives the coaches a built in excuse for losing, also allows Green Bay to claim they aren’t throwing the season but get the benefits of being a 7-9 team.

Yep - we shouldn't tank.

But there's no point playing injured players. Perry, Rodgers, Adams and anyone else carrying significant injuries should be shut down. Play the games 100% to win whilst acknowledging we probably wont. Also gives a better a chance to evaluate players for next season if we are 'playing properly'.

We should lose out but not sure MM is programmed for that. This is the coach who got Lacy hurt running him on what should have been a kneel-down play before the half, and has continued doing this a handful of times over the years. Ideally we'd just IR anyone who is important and has a papercut and then operate business as usual in the practice weeks to get depth guys valuable experience. There is a legitimate worry of looking too much like you are tanking and souring the culture by building resentment, but I feel like a good staff and FO should be able to do it in such a way where that doesn't happen.

8 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Yep - we shouldn't tank.

But there's no point playing injured players. Perry, Rodgers, Adams and anyone else carrying significant injuries should be shut down. Play the games 100% to win whilst acknowledging we probably wont. Also gives a better a chance to evaluate players for next season if we are 'playing properly'.

exactly 

obviously when people say "tank" i dont think they mean tell the players to intentionally play bad.

but yeah, sit our starters that have any semblance of injury, and get our other guys some game experience.

Well, we're officially out :(

Co-sign on what others have said. You don't intentionally play to lose. We're the same franchise that was once coached by Vince Lombardi who quipped, "Winning is a habit, unfortunately so is losing." And you sure as hell don't intentionally lose to the 2 teams that in all likelihood will be your biggest challengers next year too. 

But you do protect some players from unnecessary risk (Rodgers). You use this time to experiment and get the young kids some valuable reps. Heck one of the advantages of playing the kids is that they aren't suffering from, "lack of motivation," they'll play their hearts out to make sure they have a spot next year. If we win - GREAT, we've got a foundation for next year to build on. If we don't we draft higher.  

Archived