Sean Payton thread

notthatbluestuff

Where do you think he ends up as HC in 2023 (if he even ends up coaching at all)?

This article claims that Payton will bring Vic Fangio with him as DC:

https://nation.lk/online/nfl-teams-hoping-to-hire-sean-payton-will-also-get-defensive-coordinator-vic-fangio-190223.html

Super Bowl winner Sean Payton has reportedly agreed to add defensive coordinator Vic Fangio to his growing staff, which is curious, considering the longtime New Orleans Saints head coach is currently without a team.

Regardless of that fact, ESPN is reporting that the 58-year-old Payton is speaking with coaches about joining him wherever he does sign, and that includes Fangio, a former Denver Broncos head coach. Payton is still working as a Fox Sports analyst, but is widely believed to be returning to the NFL coaching ranks when this season ends.

Fangio’s awesome so it’s probably fine, but sort of presumptuous to start doing stuff like that before even getting to a new team, no? GM usually has hands in calls like that. Shrug. Unless Payton’s going to get full control or something and that’s part of it.

He still has to be traded, right? 

7 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Fangio’s awesome so it’s probably fine, but sort of presumptuous to start doing stuff like that before even getting to a new team, no? GM usually has hands in calls like that. Shrug. Unless Payton’s going to get full control or something and that’s part of it.

I remember reports of Urban Meyer assembling a staff while Doug Marrone was still employed by the Jags - everything worked out well for him and the "losers" he recruited.

And yes I believe teams still have to trade for Payton.

2 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

I think that happens quite a bit for established coaches that work through their network to at least put out feelers for who would be interested in accepting a certain position. I can imagine Payton rolling in with a nice portfolio on his coaching staff preferences and even better if those coaches are already on board with the idea.

If you can name the Organizations willing to give up a minimum of at least one 1st rd pick, your list starts there.

Payton can plan on coaching in 2023 all he wants but has no say in the matter. The Saints can hold onto him and play hard ball if they choose. Which they should until they get what they want in pick compensation. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

If you can name the Organizations willing to give up a minimum of at least one 1st rd pick, your list starts there.

Payton can plan on coaching in 2023 all he wants but has no say in the matter. The Saints can hold onto him and play hard ball if they choose. Which they should until they get what they want in pick compensation. 

Picks are overrated - especially for teams who believe they have rosters that can win.

2 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Picks are overrated - especially for teams who believe they have rosters that can win.

Well the Browns are out, no 1sts.

I could see Dal and LAC giving up a late 1st but depending on how late, what else is NO going to ask for? Once again, they do not have to accommodate Sean Paytons desire to coach "now". 

Bears, Cards, Colts, Falcons really giving up a top 10 pick? It's basically a Tewo team race.

3 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

You’re not wrong, but if NO decides to play hardball, then Payton can do the same. Could easily tank the year, make the team toxic, and it’s look terrible for the organization. Everyone loses there.

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Well the Browns are out, no 1sts.

I could see Dal and LAC giving up a late 1st but depending on how late, what else is NO going to ask for? Once again, they do not have to accommodate Sean Paytons desire to coach "now". 

Bears, Cards, Colts, Falcons really giving up a top 10 pick? It's basically a Tewo team race.

I think the Cardinals definitely would.

• Like 1