Sean Payton thread

notthatbluestuff

1 hour ago, notthatbluestuff said:

What if Dallas could somehow trade McCarthy to the Saints for Payton? Would Saints fans hate that?

There are some HC's that could make that swap work for Saints fans, but I don't think Mac is one of them. 

To me, a more interesting name would be someone like Daboll.  Would the NYG even be interested?

Why Arizona? Murray may not even be ready for next season start and who knows with him. Is he enticing enough for Payton to come out of retirement?

Thought LAC with Herbert would be most logical but that was only if they failed to make the playoffs.

17 hours ago, Steelersfan43 said:

During the podcast, co-host Jim Gray eventually made this obsevation to Payton, who currently works for Fox: “Your hope and possibly one of your dreams as to be a teammate with Tom. And Tom’s coming to Fox at some point, and you’re leaving. I guess that’s a dream not only delayed but gonna be denied.”

“Who says Tommy’s coming to Fox right away?” Payton eventually said. “Clearly, we don’t want to get another team in trouble.”

“You never know what happens in the NFL,” Brady said, somewhat nervously. “So, who knows? I thought I was retired, I wasn’t. Who knows? You never know what the future looks like.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/12/06/sean-payton-jokes-about-he-and-tom-brady-getting-another-team-in-trouble/

Definitely seems like Brady & Payton could be a package deal in the offseason. That'll be a coup for any team that lands them both

Unless the Dolphins want to blow up the McDaniel/Tua situation, Saints do stand out there.

Darkhorse pick - Titans. Vrabel is very underrated, but Payton/Fangio/Brady would probably have them as SB contenders again. And the owner recently fired the GM

On 12/26/2022 at 3:14 PM, Mazrimiv said:

There are some HC's that could make that swap work for Saints fans, but I don't think Mac is one of them. 

To me, a more interesting name would be someone like Daboll.  Would the NYG even be interested?

Highly doubt it, nor should they be.  

It's a lot more likely to be a trade to a team that has/creates an opening.  Have coaches ever been swapped like that, as in one for another?  I can remember Holmgren and Gruden, but that was just coach for picks.  

2 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

I keep going back and forth on whether this would be worth it for a team.  I really don't know.  I do think Payton is a great coach. But he will be 60.  Not a deal-breaker by any means, but the league gets younger at HC every year and while there are 8 other coaches as old/older than Payton will be, 4 of them have been established with their team for years and years (Reid, Belichick, Harbaugh, and Carroll).  The other 4 being Rivera, Lovie, McCarthy, and Bowles.  And the job security ain't looking too great for Lovie/Bowles, while Belichick and Carroll could retire any day now.  LIS, not a deal-breaker but something to consider for a guy you would most likely give full-control to and be giving up a 1st round pick for.  You would be going against the grain. 

Personally, I wouldn't be a fan of this for my team unless I had an established QB in place.  Otherwise I don't want him here wasting 2 years or whatever either looking for his guy or trying to develop one. 

Sean Payton is the most overrated coach of all time. 

His only playoff success ever, was when he cheated. Also, he had what, like 5 losing seasons with Drew Brees in his prime? Not only that, he decided to pack up and leave town when the going got tough for the Saints, where not only are they terrible but they are in complete cap hell.