Head Coaches On Hot/Warm Seat

Brat&Beer

Denver - Nathaniel Hackett has been fired.

Las Vegas - Josh McDaniels is 6-9 with a team that finished 10-7 and made the playoffs under Rich Bisaccia. Acquiring Davante Adams has not made Derek Carr better. This seat is probably warm.

Cleveland - Kevin Stefanski has gone 11-5, 8-9 and now 6-9 with Cleveland. Browns tend to go through head coaches pretty quickly. Seat is probably pretty hot.

Indianapolis - Jeff Saturday replaced Frank Reich mid-season and has gone 1-4. This seat is on fire.

Houston - Lovie Smith took over the worst team in football and has kept them there. Hard to blame him for the situation. However, it's a terrible organization, so they might scapegoat him. Seat may be warm.

Tampa Bay - Todd Bowles is probably safe here as it is his 1st year as HC. Sill, if they fail to make playoffs, seat could be slightly warm.

Carolina - Steve Wilks has gone 5-5 after taking over after team started 1-4. He probably deserves to be retained, but any interim coach has to at least be considered to be on warm seat.

Atlanta - Arthur Smith is 12-20 in 2 seasons. Team may want to see what he can do with an improved QB situation. Seat is probably warm/hot.

Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury is 4-11 in his 4th season. Team is 8-17 since starting out 7-0 in 2021. His teams always fade 2nd half of season. Seat is on fire.

I imagine there may be others. 

• Like 1

Every year there are new options available for position coaches and coordinators.

All teams should be looking at the options every year, to see if there are any coaches they can improve on.

Since they are usually earning from $170,000 to $400,000 per year for a position coach and around $1,000,000 for a coordinator, you should be setting a high bar.

Mike Klis
@mikeklis

Source: Broncos first offered interim HC job to Ejiro Evero. He declined. He's going to be a HC candidate this offseason. Preferred to stay with defense. Rosburg then made sense as he can oversee entire operation while coordinators run each phase. #9sports

Some different ways of looking at this. Might just want to focus on defense. Might not want to have anything to do with Russell Wilson. Might feel not much you can do in 2 weeks with a team in such disarray. 

Indy is a mess. 

There are going to be serious questions from many about the legitimacy of the organization after this Saturday placement. On one hand, I could have seen it make sense to put him in there purely for an interim gig. He knows the operation, knows the game, knows the owner and can advise the owner on what's wrong/lacking/etc. But the instant I heard they were giving him an actual shot... what a dumb move and it panned out exactly like it should have. 

41 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

Indy is a mess. 

There are going to be serious questions from many about the legitimacy of the organization after this Saturday placement. On one hand, I could have seen it make sense to put him in there purely for an interim gig. He knows the operation, knows the game, knows the owner and can advise the owner on what's wrong/lacking/etc. But the instant I heard they were giving him an actual shot... what a dumb move and it panned out exactly like it should have. 

Why?

Saturday has been an absolutely ideal tank commander. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brat&Beer said:

Denver - Nathaniel Hackett has been fired.

Las Vegas - Josh McDaniels is 6-9 with a team that finished 10-7 and made the playoffs under Rich Bisaccia. Acquiring Davante Adams has not made Derek Carr better. This seat is probably warm.

Cleveland - Kevin Stefanski has gone 11-5, 8-9 and now 6-9 with Cleveland. Browns tend to go through head coaches pretty quickly. Seat is probably pretty hot.

Indianapolis - Jeff Saturday replaced Frank Reich mid-season and has gone 1-4. This seat is on fire.

Houston - Lovie Smith took over the worst team in football and has kept them there. Hard to blame him for the situation. However, it's a terrible organization, so they might scapegoat him. Seat may be warm.

Tampa Bay - Todd Bowles is probably safe here as it is his 1st year as HC. Sill, if they fail to make playoffs, seat could be slightly warm.

Carolina - Steve Wilks has gone 5-5 after taking over after team started 1-4. He probably deserves to be retained, but any interim coach has to at least be considered to be on warm seat.

Atlanta - Arthur Smith is 12-20 in 2 seasons. Team may want to see what he can do with an improved QB situation. Seat is probably warm/hot.

Arizona - Kliff Kingsbury is 4-11 in his 4th season. Team is 8-17 since starting out 7-0 in 2021. His teams always fade 2nd half of season. Seat is on fire.

I imagine there may be others. 

McDaniels may be held on to because the Raiders are cash poor and paying 3 coaches would be brutal for Davis.

Stefanski is likely gone.

Saturday's been an ideal tank commander for them, but that time is up.

Lovie Smith will get at least one more year. 

Todd Bowles will get at least one more year. 

Steve Wilks is a 50/50 to get that job. 

Arthur Smith probably gets one more season, but that team is just STUCK on that treadmill.

Kingsbury has got to be gone, but never underestimate his ability to fail upward. 

McDaniels he's safe.

Stefanski hasn't had a franchise QB.  Think they bring him back for another year.

Saturday he'll be gone.  

Lovie?  ughhh...Who knows Houston is a complete disaster.  Blow the whole damn thing up.  Dunno what they will do.

Todd Bowles should get canned.  He sucks.  We'll see I think he's gone.

Steve Wilks Think he sticks.  Carolina is playing tough under him. 

Arthur Smith  Team is a dumpster fire.  Not entirely his fault.  Doesn't matter he'll get canned. 

Kingbury dead man walking.  Toast. They probably should keep him though.  Not a bad coach. 

On Hackett no surprise after that disaster last night on National TV.  He was gone anyway but they were pissed canned him immediately after.  Reminds me of when MM got fired.  He was a great OC in Green Bay.  Move Steno back to OL coach and bring Hackett back.  Will they?  Doubt it but I would. 

Edited by Scoremore

4 minutes ago, chefj85 said:

Denver is a mess. New coach they wouldn't even let finish out his very 1st season. $245m QB they'd give anything to get a refund on. Brand new owners too.

I think there's a very real chance Denver eats an unprecedented amount of dead cap to get rid of Russ if things don't go well next year. I think it would be like 80 million.

22 minutes ago, StatKing said:

I think there's a very real chance Denver eats an unprecedented amount of dead cap to get rid of Russ if things don't go well next year. I think it would be like 80 million.

Yah has to be one of the worst trades in NFL history.  Dunno Watson trade might even be worse.  Horrid.  They have no picks, no QB, and no coach.  They have been set back for years.  

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The only other HC I think gets fired is Lovie. Now that the tank was successful and they have their QB, they will get an offensive minded HC to develop him. So CAR, IND, DEN, HOU are the job openings. Can't believe I'm saying this, but Houston is the best one of the bunch. 

Pretty sure that would be 4 years in a row Houston fires their HC. I think Lovie gets one more year. The tank isn't over yet.