MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

1 minute ago, drew39k said:

And to think, the one seed is that much more of a favorite under the old system where both the one and two seeds got a bye. I'd imagine the odds are even more stacked now with only one bye 

Yep. I can’t believe people are actually trying to say seeding doesn’t really matter and discrediting the value lmao. Huge difference maker

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The BILLievers said:

Yep. I can’t believe people are actually trying to say seeding doesn’t really matter and discrediting the value lmao. Huge difference maker

How much difference would you say home field makes? 

Vegas says 3 points.

Does Jalen Hurts returning to the Eagles give them more than 3 points? 

I'm not asking you these questions necessarily to prove a point, but rather explaining the thought process on this discussion. Imo, it's a fair discussion that having Hurts back (or a healthy Lamar, e.g.) is a bigger advantage than home field. 

late edit - Even if you think HFA  IS  a bigger advantage than team health, I think the obvious follow up is - Is it SUCH a significantly bigger advantage that the rest of the league should have to adjust?

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

When you have an open week, you use it. Who needs two weeks to wait around for the SB? Make all the preparations for media week during your playoff bye week assuming you get there. They can get 4 games done week 19, MLK Holiday, and three games the following week. 

Again, there are other fair ways to do it, but an available bye week historically is what the league has leaned on for makeup games.

The skills competition can move to the following Saturday after the SB, or late Sunday so to not conflict with Daytona.

Edited by WheatieMan

2 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Vegas says 3 points.

I'm not asking you these questions necessarily to prove a point, but rather explaining the thought process on this discussion. Imo, it's a fair discussion that having Hurts back (or a healthy Lamar, e.g.) is a bigger advantage than home field. 

I think the Raiders are going to beat the Chiefs Saturday. Then the Bills and Bengals are both going to win Sunday. Then that game determines how the top 3 seeds shake out and if KC ends up at 2 or 3. 

5 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Vegas says 3 points.

late edit - Even if you think HFA  IS  a bigger advantage than team health, I think the obvious follow up is - Is it SUCH a significantly bigger advantage that the rest of the league should have to adjust?

Your team has basically had HFA for 4 straight years. Would you say it’s important for the team or just cool that fans can watch them play?

6 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I think the Raiders are going to beat the Chiefs Saturday. Then the Bills and Bengals are both going to win Sunday. Then that game determines how the top 3 seeds shake out and if KC ends up at 2 or 3. 

It's possible, but not related to my comment about how much home field is worth compared to injury.

5 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

Your team has basically had HFA for 4 straight years. Would you say it’s important for the team or just cool that fans can watch them play?

I don't believe I ever took a position that HFA was unimportant, but our 2-2 record would instinctually tell me it's not the difference between an asterisked season or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Soggust said:

It's possible, but not related to my comment about how much home field is worth compared to injury.

I don't believe I ever took a position that HFA was unimportant, but our 2-2 record would instinctually tell me it's not the difference between an asterisked season or not.

Shouldn’t that be more like 6-2 or 5-3? 

If the game is made up, would they pick it up at the exact same spot and possession where the hit happened in Paul Brown stadium? That may be a little too much for the players. Would the game move to a neutral field?

Edited by WheatieMan

10 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

Shouldn’t that be more like 6-2 or 5-3? 

I made a mistake only referencing the AFCCG record, because that feels like what we are essentially discussing, but sure. 

Do you think that 6-2 or 5-3 record over the few years is statistically significant?

What if I told you the LA Rams had a 5-1 record as a wildcard the last 2 years playing 3 games on the road + 1 neutral site?

Again, this is more significant than the difference between healthy Lamar + Tyler Huntley? Or between Hurts and Minshew?

Edited by Soggust
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Soggust said:

I made a mistake only referencing the AFCCG record, because that feels like what we are essentially discussing, but sure. 

Do you think that 6-2 or 5-3 record over the few years is statistically significant?

What if I told you the LA Rams had a 5-1 record as a wildcard the last 2 years playing 3 games on the road + 1 neutral site?

Again, this is more significant than the difference between healthy Lamar + Tyler Huntley? Or between Hurts and Minshew?

Well HFA isn’t just for championships. Maybe we’re just going after different target points here. You’re talking about importance of seeding not being as important as catching teams while their best players aren’t 100%. I guess you’re right about that. I’m talking about the integrity of the game and having things be what they’re supposed to. There is a way to make the season whole so it should be done, IMO. 

* I personally want to see the best teams play and be as healthy as possible. So, to be clear, if every playoff team was 100% healthy, would you still not want all games played for proper seeding? 

7 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

So, to be clear, if every playoff team was 100% healthy, would you still not want all games played for proper seeding? 

In this magical universe, you could just have bills/bengals on saturday and bengals/ravens and bills/pats on sunday

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

In this magical universe, you could just have bills/bengals on saturday and bengals/ravens and bills/pats on sunday

In that magical world, the predicament the NFL is in wouldn’t exist. My point is getting all the proper teams in the playoffs and the proper seedlings IS more important than 2 playoff teams getting to face a less than 100% Hurts or Lamar. If someone can argue that HFA isn’t that important if you are a good team then they should’t be arguing about how it’s unfair that a good team can’t play another good team with they’re  starting quarterback healthy. 

Edited by BillSabre
Spell

4 minutes ago, 43M said:

Personally, I think they should just give both teams a win.    If there is a 2 or 3 way tie for 1st seed, other tiebreakers will work their magic.

I thought about that too but that would eliminate Baltimore from having a shot at the North title. Any scenario outside of playing the game affects multiple teams unfairly.