MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, minutemancl said:

@Broncofan while we should still be cautiously optimistic, is it safe to say that the range of truly awful outcomes here has been pretty far reduced? Like the worries now are less serious than they were Tuesday morning, right?

The worst outcomes of persistent vegetative state / minimally responsive states can be taken off if he’s awake.   If he’s able to follow complex commands then it’s even better news.   The issue is on ventilation / sedation sometimes all you get is wakefulness / moving all limbs.  So the exact clinical finding matters.  Neurologically intact with following complex commands is FAR better than just being able to move all limbs (if sedation still on board you can’t always get to complex commands).   But yes it’s still really hopeful news.  

The more complex tests needed to determine functional injury need to be done off sedation and almost always that means being off life support with breathing tube removed (extubated).    So getting his lungs to point he can be extubated is key.    Then they can do the more complex tests to assess for hope for full functional recovery.   Areas like language / attention / ability to keep short term memory (which is a huge one - the movies Memento and 50 First Dates are based off that kind of injury <nothing else is medically correct except the basic premise>).   But yes this is still good news.  More news to say he’ll fully recover or not has to wait until he’s off life support & sedation.  But given this is the first day they’d likely try this it’s as good news as they could get.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Calamity_Cometh said:

I could cry, to be honest.

I’m almost there too. I just want to hear the “out of the woods” language before they start flowing.

I’m envisioning him back at the Bills stadium for a playoff game and the crowd absolutely erupting 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The worst outcomes of persistent vegetative state / minimally responsive states can be taken off if he’s awake.   If he’s able to follow complex commands then it’s even better news.   The issue is on ventilation / sedation sometimes all you get is wakefulness / moving all limbs.  So the exact clinical finding matters.  Neurologically intact with following complex commands is FAR better than just being able to move all limbs (if sedation still on board you can’t always get to complex commands).   But yes it’s still really hopeful news.  

The more complex tests needed to determine functional injury need to be done off sedation and almost always that means being off life support with breathing tube removed (extubated).    So getting his lungs to point he can be extubated is key.    Then they can do the more complex tests to assess for hope for fullk functional recovery.   Areas like language / attention / ability to keep short term memory (which is a huge one - the movies Memento and 50 First Dates are based off that kind of injury <nothing else is medically correct except the nasty premise>).   But yes this is still good news.  More news to say he’ll fully recover or not has to wait until he’s off life support & sedation.  But given this is the first day they’d likely try this it’s as good news as they could get.  

Thank you. This makes sense, easy to zoom in on "neurologically intact" but the statement is "appears to be neurologically intact".

Difference between "we haven't found it" and "there's nothing here".

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bigbadbuff said:

I’m almost there too. I just want to hear the “out of the woods” language before they start flowing.

I’m envisioning him back at the Bills stadium for a playoff game and the crowd absolutely erupting 

That would be great to see. Though I do hope he stops playing. Scary to think what might happen if he tries playing again next year. 

For soccer fans, I think of Christian Eriksen who literally died on the field. Was revived and is now playing again. Scared every time I see him on TV. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stlducks said:

That would be great to see. Though I do hope he stops playing. Scary to think what might happen if he tries playing again next year. 

For soccer fans, I think of Christian Eriksen who literally died on the field. Was revived and is now playing again. Scared every time I see him on TV. 

Oh i don’t mean as a player. I just mean showing up and letting the fans applaud him

• Like 2

Correct me if I’m wrong but if they go with the scenario of the 1st seed picking between a bye and home field and the 2nd seed getting the other option, doesn’t that mean the 1 seed potentially only plays 1 home game (divisional round) whereas the 2 could have as many as 3? 

Is a bye worth that? I suppose it is if you need to get healthier and obviously there is no guarantee the 2 wins either the WC or divisional round 

3 minutes ago, Trentwannabe said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but if they go with the scenario of the 1st seed picking between a bye and home field and the 2nd seed getting the other option, doesn’t that mean the 1 seed potentially only plays 1 home game (divisional round) whereas the 2 could have as many as 3? 

Is a bye worth that? I suppose it is if you need to get healthier and obviously there is no guarantee the 2 wins either the WC or divisional round 

One less playoff game could be very well worth it to a good road team. Plus extra prep and as you said, recovery from the bruises of the season grind.

Edited by Calamity_Cometh
  • Like 1