MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

17 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I see you havent been on bengals redditt

Or Bengals Twitter as well. Both are cesspools right now. In fact, most team Twitters and Reddits are showing exactly what Skip was pointing out Monday Night.... The "Thoughts and Prayers" sentiments have now returned to the tribalism of "my team got screwed."

• Like 2

12 hours ago, BillSabre said:

I’m going to try and answer all your questions here. I just want to clarify that I’m simply trying to explain how I see things. 

First question, NO, there should be no coin flip if the Bills and Bengals play each other. Here is why I say that. They have played the same amount of games. So there’s no issue. Win percentage stands and whoever should host will. 

If KC loses this weekend and the Bengals win, their respective records would be 13-4 and 12-4. So again, there wouldn’t be need for a coin toss. Better win percentage. 

If the Bengals lose to Baltimore, the records would be 11-5 and 11-6. Same amount of wins. I think that is where the coin flip enters. That scenario has the Bengals losing twice to Baltimore. That leaves Baltimore with a better division record as well. 

I’m not sure but I think the extra win vs same loss record and the same win vs extra loss record changes things. I may be wrong. 

I’m simply playing devils advocate here as to why the NFL chose this route and trying to make sense of it. Don’t shoot the messenger. 

* missed one 

If KC wins and we win, it’ll be the situation where they have one more win with same amount of losses just like the scenario if they lose and the Bengals win. So no, they wouldn’t travel to Buffalo. 

Let’s not forget in both those scenarios, IF either the Bills or Bengals have to face the Chiefs in the Championship, the league has stripped their HFA away. 

I get all that.  I just don't agree with the coin flip with Baltimore.  We can only lose something with it, and there's no situation where we gain anything with one.  Just use winning percentage and I'm fine.

42 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

I get all that.  I just don't agree with the coin flip with Baltimore.  We can only lose something with it, and there's no situation where we gain anything with one.  Just use winning percentage and I'm fine.

I understand. Honestly, I think if that was what the league was going to decide, they might as well have said IF Baltimore wins week 18, the division will come down to a coin flip.  

I’m not a big math guy but I wonder if I was right about there being a difference between extra win/ same loss and same win/ extra loss record percentage wise. 

* I will stand on the fact that the Chiefs were the ONLY team to make out from the cancelled game. Maybe the Raidaaaaaas can take that “lucky bounce” away from them today. 

6 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

I understand. Honestly, I think if that was what the league was going to decide, they might as well have said IF Baltimore wins week 18, the division will come down to a coin flip.  

I’m not a big math guy but I wonder if I was right about there being a difference between extra win/ same loss and same win/ extra loss record percentage wise. 

* I will stand on the fact that the Chiefs were the ONLY team to make out from the cancelled game. Maybe the Raidaaaaaas can take that “lucky bounce” away from them today. 

For those who feel like sometimes refs take a part in the outcome, The Raiders game today will be quite interesting to watch for shenanigans.  

It’s wild seeing some people label the Ravens “winners” in this thread lol

The Ravens had the opportunity of winning the division outright and guaranteeing a home playoff game taken away because the Bills/Bengals game wasn’t resumed. Now we have to win a game and win a coin flip in order to get that home game. If the game was played and the Bills won MNF, and the Ravens won Sunday, the Ravens would have been outright AFC North Champs via every tie breaker.

The Ravens and Bengals both have 11 wins if the Ravens win Sunday. The Ravens at 11-6, the Bengals at 11-5. The Ravens would be 4-2 in the division and 2-0 against the Bengals in that case. The Bengals would be 2-4 in the division and 0-2 against the Ravens while having the same number of wins (11). 

What not resuming the game did to the Ravens was ensure the Bengals the division title solely by virtue of playing less games. The teams could have potentially ended with the same number of wins, with the Ravens winning the division on division record and H2H. 

Bengals fans have a right to be upset about the situation but the consistent “the bengals are the only ones in this situation who are losing an opportunity, everyone else is gaining an opportunity” is 100% wrong. If all 17 games were played the Ravens could have won the division outright without any coin flip.

It is what it is. It doesn’t even probably end up mattering because I think the Ravens will be resting starters now that the opportunity to win the division outright and secure the 3 seed is impossible so the coin toss is pretty unlikely imo.

The Bengals fans acting like they are getting slighted in favor of the big bad Ravens is funny to read though 

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The Ravens had the opportunity of winning the division and guaranteeing a home playoff game taken away because the Bills/Bengals game wasn’t resumed. Now we have to win a game and win a coin flip in order to get that home game. If the game was played and the Bills won MNF, and the Ravens won Sunday, the Ravens would have been outright AFC North Champs via every tie breaker.

The Ravens and Bengals both have 11 wins if the Ravens win Sunday. The Ravens at 11-6, the Bengals at 11-5. The Ravens would be 4-2 in the division and 2-0 against the Bengals in that case. The Bengals would be 2-4 in the division and 0-2 against the Ravens while having the same number of wins (11). 

What not resuming the game did to the Ravens was ensure the Bengals the division title solely by virtue of playing less games. The teams could have potentially ended with the same number of wins, with the Ravens winning the division on division record and H2H. 

Bengals fans have a right to be upset about the situation but the consistent “the bengals are the only ones in this situation who are losing an opportunity, everyone else is gaining an opportunity” is 100% wrong. If all 17 games were played the Ravens could have won the division outright without any coin flip.

It is what it is. It doesn’t even probably end up mattering because I think the Ravens will be resting starters now that the opportunity to win the division outright and secure the 3 seed is impossible so the coin toss is pretty unlikely imo.

The Bengals fans acting like they are getting slighted in favor of the big bad Ravens is funny to read though 

This is what I’ve been saying as well. I understand Bengal fans being upset but the Bills, Bengals and Ravens all lost something from the game not being played. KC is the only team who benefited from the game not being played. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

This is what I’ve been saying as well. I understand Bengal fans being upset but the Bills, Bengals and Ravens all lost something from the game not being played. KC is the only team who benefited from the game not being played. 

Didn't KC lose out on the ability to control HFA with a Buffalo loss? The same way the Ravens lost out on their ability to control HFA with a CIN loss? The only difference is we don't need to win a coinflip, we now have to rely on other teams losing to solidify HFA. 

Plus, once the game was cancelled, KC might have been the biggest loser considering my understanding is that we should have control of HFA + Bye according to cancellation policy, but the league literally made a one time exception to make other teams feel better.

This is not me complaining. Everyone got it bad in some ways. You can argue KC might have even got it the least bad, comparatively, but it's not like anyone is really making out like bandits here. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The Ravens had the opportunity of winning the division outright and guaranteeing a home playoff game taken away because the Bills/Bengals game wasn’t resumed. Now we have to win a game and win a coin flip in order to get that home game. If the game was played and the Bills won MNF, and the Ravens won Sunday, the Ravens would have been outright AFC North Champs via every tie breaker.

So the Ravens went from needing...

A week 18 win and a BUF loss to CIN

to....

A week 18 win and a coin flip?

Spider-Man Reaction GIF