MNF Week 17: Buffalo Bills @ Cincinnati Bengals

notthatbluestuff

5 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

The simplest and easiest solution to me (I mentioned it way back in a longer post) would be to declare a tie but also ignore the Chief's win in the final seedings standings for the top 3.  Is it fair?  No.  Chiefs robbed, Bills robbed of chance to keep the 1 seed, and Bengals definitely robbed of a chance to climb even with Buffalo and claim that tiebreaker.  Ravens robbed if they won Sunday since Bills didn't get a chance to give them one more loss.

But it causes the least disruption to everything else.  The only way I see this game ever resumed from last night is if Cincy and KC both lose on Sunday

Just to be clear….. In your scenario the Bills would be the 1 seed if they beat New England. This scenario would just rob KC and Baltimore. 

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Even if this wasn't true, players with incentives in their contracts they were close to would be furious if they had one less game.

Cancelation of week 18 would players also lose a game check?  If so, not sure that goes over well either

It sounds crazy but has anyone brought up the idea of a coin flip to determine who wins and loses if both teams consent to that? I feel like that’s the solution that has the least ripple effect on the rest of the league. From the Bills perspective, I feel like you take a 50/50 shot of winning a game after that insane tragedy. For the Bengals, weren’t the Bills favored to win the game? So from their perspective, they’re getting a 50/50 chance to win a game that was handicapped for them to have less than that chance.

Just spit balling here. Crazy solution but after this crazy scenario I feel like anything is in play 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mizter_Clean10 said:

I just don’t think you can make a decision that includes teams that didn’t play in this game. UNLESS the decision is to push week 18 back and resume this game next Monday and give all other teams a bye. Is that fair to the Bengals and Bills? Absolutely not, nothing is fair in this situation, but either declare it a tie which only impacts the two teams or make a decision that impacts in the entire league.

But I would also say we we underestimating the impact that this is probably having on every single NFL player - with such a freak incident like this - there has to be a lot of “that could have easily been me” going on.

There literally is no decision that doesn't negatively affect at least a couple of teams, no matter what they do as far as seeding.  I'm just spitballing easy paths with the least resistance.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray Reed said:

It sounds crazy but has anyone brought up the idea of a coin flip to determine who wins and loses if both teams consent to that? I feel like that’s the solution that has the least ripple effect on the rest of the league. From the Bills perspective, I feel like you take a 50/50 shot of winning a game after that insane tragedy. For the Bengals, weren’t the Bills favored to win the game? So from their perspective, they’re getting a 50/50 chance to win a game that was handicapped for them to have less than that chance.

Just spit balling here. Crazy solution but after this crazy scenario I feel like anything is in play 

Someone mentioned ping pong balls in a similar way to this.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BillSabre said:

Just to be clear….. In your scenario the Bills would be the 1 seed if they beat New England. This scenario would just rob KC and Baltimore. 

If we win Sunday, then Baltimore isn't affected.  If the Chiefs lose Sunday, it is our only path to the 2 seed.  A win over Buffalo would have guaranteed that if we beat the ravens

5 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Why not just a tie? 

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

I threw that out in my longer post, but no one ever replied to that aspect.  But yeah, it makes it really easy. It is still problematic for the loser of the flip, as we could fall to the 5/6 seed with a loss to you guys and lose the flip.

Edit:  I said in that earlier post that the game should be called a tie, but HFA if they met in the playoffs should be a coin flip

Edited by INbengalfan
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

If we win Sunday, then Baltimore isn't affected.  If the Chiefs lose Sunday, it is our only path to the 2 seed.  A win over Buffalo would have guaranteed that if we beat the ravens

I know every scenario imaginable. But you were talking about the Bills/Bengals not getting that game so KC having to not play so we all has the same amount of games. In that scenario, the Bills could still get the 1 seed with a win. There is no way there is a fair outcome without the game being played. Just seems that mostly everybody here thinks it’s better to screw a few teams over rather than to have every team adjust accordingly.  I guess integrity of the game matters not as much as competitive advantage over opponents. The answer to me seems simple but has been shot down numerous times.