Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

13 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I want to see who and for how much supposedly Saints wanted a pay cut in the 20’s and carr didn’t like that

None of the good teams have the cap space to sign him.  

I’m also curious to see if teams want to pay Carr vs taking a chance on someone like Jimmy or Baker

Edited by NYRaider

5 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's not rocket science. Why would a team willingly give us anything for someone they know they can sign in a few days? 

The Saints had to swing for a trade because they're in cap hell. Nobody else targeting him is interested in outbidding New Orleans and giving up resources when they know they don't need to due to the NTC. 

Not every team is as dumb as we are. 

This hits on exactly why holding onto him past tomorrow helps if we want to trade him.  Nobody has to play ball, including Carr, if he is going to to get cut.  Holding onto him destroys that idea and everyone knows they have to give something up for him and Carr knows that if he wants to leave he has to give something up.  It is probably not enough leverage to get a lot but it gives us enough leverage to get something.  Carr holding out is not really an option because cutting him then does not become an option.  Whether we cut him or keep him it costs the same.  Therefore he has to agree to a trade to play.  It would look really bad on his part to say I am not willing to give up my NTC when he knows there is zero chance to be cut.  It is risky but is a viable counter to what has played out so far.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I thought he’d have to wait until the start of the league year like every other FA

No, it’s different for unrestricted free agents whose contracts expire vs someone who is cut. In theory, I would think he would have to clear waivers before being signed, but I can’t imagine anyone would pick up his contract. 

So technically he can’t sign with anyone else for at least 24 hours lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Only one team inquired about trading for him, how can they get value if no one wants him??

Multiple teams inquired but only one team agreed to compensation.  Now there might have been a back and forth with other teams and the Saints offered the most and therefore allowed to discuss a contract.  The first reports about Raiders discussions said from every reporter that it was multiple teams.

5 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

Multiple teams inquired but only one team agreed to compensation.  Now there might have been a back and forth with other teams and the Saints offered the most and therefore allowed to discuss a contract.  The first reports about Raiders discussions said from every reporter that it was multiple teams.

Vinny said the saints were the only team that expressed interest in trading for Carr. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Vinny said the saints were the only team that expressed interest in trading for Carr. 

Every reporter I heard said multiple teams.  

“Teams I talked to expect a variation of the Saints, the Commanders, the Jets to all inquire and I’m told some teams have already made some early initial calls to the Raiders.”

ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler on NFL teams interested in Derek Carr

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

“Teams I talked to expect a variation of the Saints, the Commanders, the Jets to all inquire and I’m told some teams have already made some early initial calls to the Raiders.”

Sounds like a couple of teams inquired but the Saints were the only team that made a legitimate offer. The fact that teams can negotiate with him a month before free agency starts though makes it easy to understand why teams were hesitant to trade for him. 

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

Meh when it comes down to it Imo carr is the fall guy behind ar, geno, jimmy

49 minutes ago, true2form said:

No, it’s different for unrestricted free agents whose contracts expire vs someone who is cut. In theory, I would think he would have to clear waivers before being signed, but I can’t imagine anyone would pick up his contract. 

So technically he can’t sign with anyone else for at least 24 hours lol

Waivers don't apply to Carr. He's a 4+ veteran and wasn't waived. 

To NYRaider, he is allowed to sign at any moment in time because he is being released (as opposed to a team allowing his contract to expire). He wont get paid until next league year, but he can sign now.  The Free Agency date of March 15th and tampering rules only apply to currently contracted players, who's contacts haven't expired with their teams yet. But current UFA's can sign at any point in time. 

Now that I think about it..... I wonder if his signing bonus would fall under the 2022 year for amortization purposes. Could help a team spread out his cap hit even further.. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The Feb 15 deadline made it difficult because teams like Washington, Tampa, Indy don’t even have offensive staffs in place yet 

Yup we got finessed by Derek mf carr hugest L ever

epic failure 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN