Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

26 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

I appreciate your pettiness as someone who would had will hurt himself 2x to hurt his enemy 1x.  
but there are consequences of actions.  And Carr is widely viewed as the good guy who got screwed by the team around the league (for the most part) and pulling a move like that to Try and derail his career by benching him will 100% cost us more in the long run then any gain made via a trade.  Do you think any top FA will want to come here after something like that happens to a good Guy like Carr?  McD already has the worst reputation amongst former players and this organization has been a laughingstock for 20 years…. You want to run a stunt like that to get a 3rd round pick?  Seems awfully shortsighted and a horrible idea to me.

Don't get me wrong, if he was on the team and he decided to play I would put him out there if he was my best QB.  I also think $34 million is fair market value with the crazy money QBs get.  I could very easily go back to making it business and not personal.  All of the BS I would put him through is if he decided he would not go out and play at max effort.  If I was the owner there is also a strong possibility I would fire JMD.  It all comes down to the details that we do not know about.  This is also why as a fan I want David to come out and say what he has been holding back about.  Would love to hear from all sides and know what NO offered Carr.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Styrian Raider said:

I don't see how playing Carr the last two games would have had any impact on the trade value or the output of the whole situation:

Everybody knows about the 15th February deadline for the 40 million and also everybody knew about the NTC.
And after the results this season it was pretty clear anyway that we cut him.

So who would've been really interested in trading for him?

The benching and how everything went down signaled to the league that we were going to move on.  If we did not bench him there was still a chance he is a Raider next year.  2024 probably not unless he earned the last two years on the contract.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

The benching and how everything went down signaled to the league that we were going to move on.  If we did not bench him there was still a chance he is a Raider next year.  2024 probably not unless he earned the last two years on the contract.

What makes you think, that there would be interest in him, if we didn't bench him?
The NTC would still be there and also the 15th february deadline.
Also why should the new regime stick to a guy who they don't think he is the real deal?
IMO that would've ruined their reputation amongst the other players, because if you look back at the season there was a clear line that nobody was save regardless of draft status or whatsoever.

No team was interested in trading for Carr on that contract + his value now.

We held on to him too long which exposed his flaws. Carr will in Wentz/ Matt Ryan territory in 2 seasons. 

Whats funny is no Carr supporters are mentioning how they were wrong about him. I’m serving Crow up. 

They were people on this forum who rather took Carr instead of Deshaun Watson. Watson was as toxic situation and still got 200 million plus multiple picks in return from a team who said they were gonna trade him 

Edited by bucksavage1

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

No team was interested in trading for Carr on that contract + his value now.

We held on to him too long which exposed his flaws. Carr will in Wentz/ territory in 2 seasons.

Whats funny is no Carr supporters are mentioning how they were wrong about him. I’m serving Crow up

I'm neither a Carr hater nor supporter.

But you'll probably hear something from the fanboys when he's starting to win games with his new team.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

To everyone who is salty/hoping for him to get hurt, just know the front office are the ones who put in the idiotic no trade clause and this other bull****. No idea why you're mad at a player for looking after themselves. It's what anyone would do in that situation. He's going to get way more $ as a free agent. That's just the reality.

100% and thank you for posting this. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

I'm neither a Carr hater nor supporter.

But you'll probably hear something from the fanboys when he's starting to win games with his new team.

Well Carr is like Carson Palmer. Fans of his new team will be excited and get all the good news stories by Carr, he might even get on a hot streak every now and then, but ultimately every season will end with Carr not win you anything significant.  

So yeah, there might be some fanboys say some stuff, but come playoffs we won't hear that anymore

Edited by Roninho

Never been the biggest fan of Carr and dont like the way he and his circle have handled the situation, but can’t blame him for not waiving his NTC and forcing his release. 

I said it right when we gave him that it was stupid. Carr was never the caliber of player to deserve a NTC. Thats on the FO not Carr. 

Should have went our separate ways a long time ago. This is why having a middling QB like Carr i feel long term  is ultimately worse than drafting a QB that busts at the top of the draft. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Don't get me wrong, if he was on the team and he decided to play I would put him out there if he was my best QB.  I also think $34 million is fair market value with the crazy money QBs get.  I could very easily go back to making it business and not personal.  All of the BS I would put him through is if he decided he would not go out and play at max effort.  If I was the owner there is also a strong possibility I would fire JMD.  It all comes down to the details that we do not know about.  This is also why as a fan I want David to come out and say what he has been holding back about.  Would love to hear from all sides and know what NO offered Carr.

Yeah I know your a level headed good guy in the end and your comments here come from a place of frustration and wanting to help the team.  
And your entitled to your opinion and that opinion likes everyone’s is based on the information we have and the gaps In information we must fill in with personal opinions on what happened.

It’s hard to just cut a QB like Carr who has had high value in trades for a long time.  But imo the team did this to ourselves.  Carr was as loyal as they come, got treated very poorly by the new coach/FO, and the team ultimately decided to move on.  The team handled the whole situation about as poorly as it could be done in a long series of events and that’s what resulted in not being able to trade him.

I think McD should have been fired.  But he also should never have gotten paid what he did too.  And We have an owner who lacks intelligence and guts and will hold onto him longer then he should hoping things will turn around.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Remember when I said they tanked his trade value by not playing him for the last 2 games?

I stand by it. It was idiotic. That and the super bowl guarantee + no trade clause.

I don't buy this. What would 2 games agains 9ers and Chiefs do for his value? He would have continued to struggle and they'd still had to make a decision on paying him on a bad season. 

If anything, the Saints telling him to take a pay cut confirms in my mind where the league sees his value as. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't buy this. What would 2 games agains 9ers and Chiefs do for his value? He would have continued to struggle and they'd still had to make a decision on paying him on a bad season. 

If anything, the Saints telling him to take a pay cut confirms in my mind where the league sees his value as. 

At the very least you wouldn’t think they planned on releasing him outright. Once that was known, between that and the no trade clause, there was no chance.

• Like 1

Thoughts on this situation:

1. The new regime clearly wanted to earn good will early by extending Carr and others.

2. Trading Carr last offseason would have been seen as a red flag given McDaniel's history with Cutler

3. The contract was made for a guy they intended to be their franchise QB

4. Derek Carr did not play well enough in 2023.

5. It's a business. Carr shouldn't agree to a pay cut if his agent thinks he can get more on the open market. 

6. His market will be soft because he's not as good as he might think he is

7. The Raiders are victims of recency bias

8. Stafford was an anomaly. Wentz (twice), Ryan and Wilson all left buyers remorse with teams.

9. Carr should have been traded years ago when the Raiders had resources (multiple FRPs to get a QB).

10. The Raiders never set up a contingency plan at QB and it finally came to pass. 

11. Carr will put up stats, but never be a reliable playoff caliber QB. 

12. It's on Ziegler/McDaniels to prove they were right moving forward. 

Edited by big_palooka
  • Like 6

11 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Thoughts on this situation:

1. The new regime clearly wanted to earn good will early by extending Carr and others.

2. Trading Carr last offseason would have been seen as a red flag given McDaniel's history with Cutler

3. The contract was made for a guy they intended to be their franchise QB

4. Derek Carr did not play well enough in 2023.

5. It's a business. Carr shouldn't agree to a pay cut if his agent thinks he can get more on the open market. 

6. His market will be soft because he's not as good as he might think he is

7. The Raiders are victims of recency bias

8. Stafford was an anomaly. Wentz (twice), Ryan and Wilson all left buyers remorse with teams.

9. Carr should have been traded years ago when the Raiders had resources (multiple FRPs to get a QB).

10. The Raiders never set up a contingency plan at QB and it finally came to pass. 

11. Carr will put up stats, but never be a reliable playoff caliber QB. 

12. It's on Ziegler/McDaniels to prove they were right moving forward. 

Spot on

4 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Never been the biggest fan of Carr and dont like the way he and his circle have handled the situation, but can’t blame him for not waiving his NTC and forcing his release. 

I said it right when we gave him that it was stupid. Carr was never the caliber of player to deserve a NTC. Thats on the FO not Carr. 

Should have went our separate ways a long time ago. This is why having a middling QB like Carr i feel long term  is ultimately worse than drafting a QB that busts at the top of the draft. 

Spot on sticking with a middling QB is worse than a draft bust. At least teams are protected by the rookie salary scale

I give credit to the new regime for doing what the previous two didn’t have the guts to do. Gruden virtually shipped everyone out from Reggie Mac/Del Rio except Carr. 

• Like 2