Raiders to release QB Derek Carr (Page 73)

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

A good decision does not involve guaranteeing a $40m contract for a player everyone knows you don’t want. Embarrassing you don’t recognise that. 

You think letting Carr punk the team is a good decision.  Imagine how much worse this is going to look if Carr does well with another team.  The entire organization will look bad and it will hang over the heads of JMD and Zeigler for the rest of their careers.  This would be worse than Cutler.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dodo said:

What I expected and I would do in his position. It is what it is.

Just glad it'll be over

This is where I am with it.

The real screw up here was by our FO. That contract really was terrible.

But also, Carr has been terrible for this past year and has also contributed to wrecking his own value.

Nobody is coming out of this thing smelling of roses. Meh, time to move on and forget about this guy.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

You think letting Carr punk the team is a good decision.  Imagine how much worse this is going to look if Carr does well with another team.  The entire organization will look bad and it will hang over the heads of JMD and Zeigler for the rest of their careers.  This would be worse than Cutler.

It’s not Carr punking the team, it’s your thought that we should hang onto Carr and take on a $40m cap hit that’s the problem. Lunacy.

1 hour ago, Nightmare said:

This is where I am with it.

The real screw up here was by our FO. That contract really was terrible.

But also, Carr has been terrible for this past year and has also contributed to wrecking his own value.

Nobody is coming out of this thing smelling of roses. Meh, time to move on and forget about this guy.

The contract structure of chandler jones was very bad as well.  We eat a moderate cap hit in trading away Ngakoue and then structured Jones’ deal so that the first 2 years are guaranteed AND 7.2m dead cap hit exists after that.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Dessie said:

It’s not Carr punking the team, it’s your thought that we should hang onto Carr and take on a $40m cap hit that’s the problem. Lunacy.

We should agree to disagree then.  My way is risky but a calculated risk.  Your way is to accept the loss and move on.  You can argue either way.  I think if you hold onto him and just say you are stuck teams can not just wait for him to be cut because it will not happen for a long time and Carr should waive the NTC just to get out of Vegas if it is that important to him.

Edited by drfrey13

1 hour ago, G said:

Not unexpected at all. Good luck on your next team and thank you for trying Derek. This franchine will be dysfunctional until it's sold. 

Did you see how Mark is under investigation for paying the WNBA players on the side?  

it reminds me of my hometown Danbury (CT) Thrashers (United Hockey League) minor league hockey team paying players 3x the limit and giving no-show Sanitation jobs.  This mafia-associate let his 17yo son be the GM and they were good but it was just ridiculous.

maybe mark gets kicked out and is forced to sell our team.  Part of me wants the team to stay with the Davis family but it’s inevitable someone buys out as mark has no children and just cant manage this organization.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We should agree to disagree then.  My way is risky but a calculated risk.  Your way is to accept the loss and move on.  You can argue either way.  I think if you hold onto him and just say you are stuck teams can not just wait for him to be cut because it will not happen for a long time and Carr should waive the NTC just to get out of Vegas if it is that important to him.

Your way means we are the hook for $40m and so means we can’t make any moves in FA. Even if we could trade him what are likely to get given his contract ? A 3rd ?? Is that worth the risk. Crazy thought but then you thought we could get a 1st and a 2nd so no wonder you are defensive.

2 minutes ago, Dessie said:

Your way means we are the hook for $40m and so means we can’t make any moves in FA. Even if we could trade him what are likely to get given his contract ? A 3rd ?? Is that worth the risk. Crazy thought but then you thought we could get a 1st and a 2nd so no wonder you are defensive.

We are on the hook only if we do not trade him.  It is not automatic.  If he wants out and there are teams that want him then the trade will happen.  The reason why it did not now is because the only team he got to talk to could not afford him and everyone assumes he will be let go in the next couple games.  If you hold on to him you do not have to worry about him talking to other teams because the only way they get his is a trade.  The only way he continues his career next year is if he waives his NTC.  If we trade him we do not pay him.  Only the team he is on pays him.  If he holds out or retires we do not have to pay him.

F***ing refs just gave the game to the Chiefs.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

We are on the hook only if we do not trade him.  It is not automatic.  If he wants out and there are teams that want him then the trade will happen.  The reason why it did not now is because the only team he got to talk to could not afford him and everyone assumes he will be let go in the next couple games.  If you hold on to him you do not have to worry about him talking to other teams because the only way they get his is a trade.  The only way he continues his career next year is if he waives his NTC.  If we trade him we do not pay him.  Only the team he is on pays him.  If he holds out or retires we do not have to pay him.

F***ing refs just gave the game to the Chiefs.

I know the financial side of it. Past the 15th we are on the hook for Carrs contract if we don’t trade him. If we don’t trade him we have to pay him. Given we didn’t play him the last 2 games and it was agreed for him to stay away so we didn’t incur that cap hit its lunacy to think we would take on that cap hit. Noticeably you don’t answer the question as to what you think we could get in a trade once we are committed,

3 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

To everyone who is salty/hoping for him to get hurt, just know the front office are the ones who put in the idiotic no trade clause and this other bull****. No idea why you're mad at a player for looking after themselves. It's what anyone would do in that situation. He's going to get way more $ as a free agent. That's just the reality.

He's going to get a top 5 QB deal in free agency? I doubt it. Dude sucks and clearly isn't valued very highly around the league.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dessie said:

I know the financial side of it. Past the 15th we are on the hook for Carrs contract if we don’t trade him. If we don’t trade him we have to pay him. Given we didn’t play him the last 2 games and it was agreed for him to stay away so we didn’t incur that cap hit its lunacy to think we would take on that cap hit. Noticeably you don’t answer the question as to what you think we could get in a trade once we are committed,

Anything shows we will not be held hostage by a player.  Once other teams know they missed out on all the other QBs I think a team gives up at least a 1 or 2 in 2024.  Until Wednesday we have no leverage.  The reason why I know Carr is making this personal and just trying to screw us is that he closed the door to any team trading for him.  I am sure Carr's list was longer than the Saints.  Now we have a reason to let him talk to all the teams.  You have to ask yourself if it is more important to Carr to play for another team or to get cut from the Raiders.  If it is to play for another team in 2023 then you hold onto him and let him waive his NTC.  If you think he is willing to submarine his career and sit on the bench for 2023 and not sign with another team until after OTAs in 2024 then you just cut him and be done with it.  I think he will want to play in 2023.

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

You’re the one hoping for him to break his leg 

And you think he's getting more than $40M APY (7th most) in free agency. When there was only one team that even showed interest in trading for him and they asked him to take a significant pay cut, lol. There was no way that they were getting him to agree to basically 0 GTD money on his extension without the NTC / early cut date.