2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

7 minutes ago, adamq said:

So why not just tag JWard? Is it because they think he'd cause problems, or do they know that his market won't be what he thinks..

He'd be tagged as a CB since he played CB most of the season, and the CB tag number I believe is higher than the Safety tag number, just not worth it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, 49erscap said:

He'd be tagged as a CB since he played CB most of the season, and the CB tag number I believe is higher than the Safety tag number, just not worth it.

Ah I didn't realize that. Yeah I was looking at the 14m number for safeties; CBs are 18

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Take this for what it is, but would free over $31M in cap room.

I think FA period could be a little more exciting than we anticipated. I’m actually optimistic that we can bring back some of our players and actually make a splash or two in FA.

Win now mentality, I’m all for it, I trust that the Niners won’t doom themselves like the Rams did in regards to contracts 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do not want to restructure AA. 

I'd rather they talk extension with ward rather than a restructure. He's only got two years left on his deal, I think

Same here on both points, but it'll be ok if they redo Ward's deal, he'll sign an extension next offseason, but prefer to sign him to an extension now

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 49erscap said:

Taybor Pepper re-signed to 3yr deal, confirmed by Taybor himself on Twitter.

Glad to hear it, he seems like a really good guy and loves to engage with fans on social media

Pour one out for Kyle Nelson.. he never recovered from that disaster and has been relegated to a camp body the past couple years 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adamq said:

Glad to hear it, he seems like a really good guy and loves to engage with fans on social media

Pour one out for Kyle Nelson.. he never recovered from that disaster and has been relegated to a camp body the past couple years 

I love Taybor. He's insanely amusing. 

The Kyle Nelson thing really was very weird. All of a sudden he just couldn't do it any more. So bizarre. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Do not want to restructure AA. 

I'd rather they talk extension with ward rather than a restructure. He's only got two years left on his deal, I think

Yeah, we can get by not restructuring his deal. All I know is we are going big game hunting for a top FA. The only question is going to be, who? 

No top interior OL hitting the market? 

57 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yeah, we can get by not restructuring his deal. All I know is we are going big game hunting for a top FA. The only question is going to be, who? 

No top interior OL hitting the market? 

I’m crossing my fingers for an EDGE or DT at this point. A top tier edge could make this defense even better and take pressure off of Bosa. Safety makes sense as well, but we could bring back Gibson since we know what he can do (if he doesn’t retire)

I think we could get a decent DT to do what we needed Kinlaw to do at a bargain price.

I don’t see any O-lineman on the market that I would break the bank for at this point

Edited by P_locniners

3 hours ago, P_locniners said:

I’m crossing my fingers for an EDGE or DT at this point. A top tier edge could make this defense even better and take pressure off of Bosa. Safety makes sense as well, but we could bring back Gibson since we know what he can do (if he doesn’t retire)

I think we could get a decent DT to do what we needed Kinlaw to do at a bargain price.

I don’t see any O-lineman on the market that I would break the bank for at this point

I also am hoping for IDL, but I'd be pumped for a top tier safety too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, adamq said:

I also am hoping for IDL, but I'd be pumped for a top tier safety too

I would be all for a safety, but I am a true believer that the d-line makes a bigger difference than the secondary and I feel like we were teased when Dee Ford was opposite Bosa and what that could have been long term. I think a high end bookend would make a bigger difference than adding a high end safety.

just seeing what was accomplished with Gibson on the beck end kinda shows we can get away without having a super high end safety. You add additional pass rush to that and the secondary looks even better.

in think the difference starts up front, pass rush makes a bigger difference than adding adding a top tier safety imo.

im not against adding talent on the back end, I just think we are somewhat wasting Bosas capabilities of we don’t get him help on the opposite end

give me Mack, Quinn, Davenport or any cost effective pass rusher I would be down, then add on the secondary. We need something we haven’t had, and that’s a dynamic pass rush opposite Bosa. I guess a dynamic DT would work  as well, but I’m more thinking of contain

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 2