2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

30 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

The Ritual Killer movie trailer starring Morgan Freeman, Cole Hauser, and former 49ers TE Vernon Davis...yup...

Good for Vernon. You could always see he was trying to get into entertainment during his career. 

10 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Lawson I think would be a great target to sign on a one-year prove it deal and with Kocurek, players know we can get them money after they play in our system.

Lawson had a pretty darn good year before signing with the Jets and I think him opposite Bosa would be great.

Davenport just can’t stay healthy.

Daron Payne would be great, but I think there will be a bidding war for his services and he will be out priced for us. I would still bring back Ridgeway and Givens as depth, but Payne playing beside Armstead would be amazing…..as would Heargraves, but again price will be the issue 

Bates would be great, but again, cost will be an issue.

I don’t see us spending on IOL, I think the Niners like the youth we have at both guard spots and Brendel was serviceable at C….but still upgradable. I can see us potentially spending a bit at RT if McGlinchey leaves. Yeah he played a bit better towards the end of the season but McGlinchey just made glaring mistakes and I wouldn’t shell out money for his services.

Looking at other FA DTs:

Sheldon Rankins 29

Dalvin Tomlinson 29

Jerry Tillery 26

I also forgot about Maurice Hurst. Really sucked that he's been hurt and hasn't panned out for us.

39 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Looking at other FA DTs:

Sheldon Rankins 29

Dalvin Tomlinson 29

Jerry Tillery 26

I also forgot about Maurice Hurst. Really sucked that he's been hurt and hasn't panned out for us.

Jerry Tillery was such a player coming out. I'd be interested in taking a flyer in seeing what he looks like in a one gap scheme. 

• Like 2

I was taking a look at the TE market for free agency to see what was there and name I'm interested in is Josh Oliver from the Ravens. He rated really well in both pass and run blocking and is very athletic. 

I think the TE group needs better depth as it seems Charlie Woerner fell out of favor with the team. I'd love to sign a TE and draft one as well. I'm honestly ok with bringing Kroft back. He rated as the 3rd best run blocking TE in the NFL with PFF and wasn't terrible receiving either. 

I think one of Kroft or Oliver + a draft pick would be nice to pair with Kittle and Woerner for 2023. 

16 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I think that as soon as we found out Purdy was seriously hurt that this was kind of obvious. Trey coming in and showing serious progress/pushing Purdy for the starting job is the best possible outcome for us.

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Got both the Kubiak boys on the staff now! 

If I remember correctly, Shanny spoke pretty highly of him fairly recently and stated that he either tried or wanted him on the staff. Worries me that he was the QB coach for Denver last season considering the year they had, but I also think he is an upgrade over Slowik, who I don’t really think was bringing all that much to the table, but I could be wrong

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

If I remember correctly, Shanny spoke pretty highly of him fairly recently and stated that he either tried or wanted him on the staff. Worries me that he was the QB coach for Denver last season considering the year they had, but I also think he is an upgrade over Slowik, who I don’t really think was bringing all that much to the table, but I could be wrong

Yeah, but from what I've read, Wilson was calling Seahawks audibles during games and the guys had no idea what the play was.  That's not on the coach.  Makes me wonder what else was going on.