2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

Just now, struby3 said:

Yeah, they don't save anything by just releasing him. He would still count for just under $5M in dead cap. If they are giving up on him then a trade would be best so they could save the ~$2.7M in guaranteed salary. He won't be released unless no team wants to trade for him and he is outplayed in camp and doesn't deserve a roster spot.

With that said, he could certainly get outplayed in camp. I cannot overstate how poorly he played last year (and he is always hurt).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, struby3 said:

Yeah, they don't save anything by just releasing him. He would still count for just under $5M in dead cap. If they are giving up on him then a trade would be best so they could save the ~$2.7M in guaranteed salary. He won't be released unless no team wants to trade for him and he is outplayed in camp and doesn't deserve a roster spot.

I think that given the free agents on the defensive line, they'll probably keep him...but I wouldn't hate a trade for other disappointing players. We can use another corner, so taking a shot on Noah Igbinoghene would be fine with me. Also in Miami is Austin Jackson who hasn't really gotten his feet under him in Miami either. Chaisson has been a complete bust in Jacksonville, but wouldn't hurt the defensive line depth, it would just push the vacancies more to the interior. Also, Mekhi Becton? I don't know how Saleh feels about Kinlaw, but if he likes him, and Becton has been a similar bust for the Jets, maybe thats a move that makes sense. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Yessir, Trey Lance is a member of the FF community!!! Did you not know??????? Lol, kidding that is obviously not him....or is it???? 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

There is a poster who actually used the name Trey Lance. Posts in gen and I think the basketball forum, but I'm not sure if he's actually posted in here. 

Yeah I felt silly asking that question because I'm sure it's not actually him and probably wouldn't be so on the nose about the username, but you never know. 

Kombucha No But GIF

2 hours ago, struby3 said:

As someone who has been the biggest Kinlaw apologist around, even I think it is time to move on. I dont think he has improved at all since he was drafted and seems to play undisciplined at times. 

Really wish we would have taken Wirfs. 

DT is a huge need for us. RIP DJJ. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I mean Trey pretty much said the same excat thing in his Rich Eisen interview. Nothing to see here imo... 

I mean Trey said HE shouldn't be handed the job after how Purdy performed but he was looking forward to the competition. Kittle is basically saying it is Purdy's job. Two different distinctions. No doubt many in the locker room will want to go with Purdy and there is really nothing Lance can do at this point...One has shown it in the actual games while the other would just be looking great on the practice field. 

2 hours ago, N4L said:

As someone who has been the biggest Kinlaw apologist around, even I think it is time to move on. I dont think he has improved at all since he was drafted and seems to play undisciplined at times. 

Really wish we would have taken Wirfs. 

DT is a huge need for us. RIP DJJ. 

Only problem is we used that extra pick we got from TB to trade up for Aiyuk, plus we may have never traded for Trent Williams either if we took Wirfs.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, 49erscap said:

Only problem is we used that extra pick we got from TB to trade up for Aiyuk, plus we may have never traded for Trent Williams either if we took Wirfs.

Wirfs would play guard for a year, then you decline McG's option and put Tristan Wirfs at RT

I do not remember the specifics of the aiyuk trade up off the top of my head but I am sure you could use other ammo to trade up for him. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Trey said HE shouldn't be handed the job after how Purdy performed but he was looking forward to the competition. Kittle is basically saying it is Purdy's job. Two different distinctions. No doubt many in the locker room will want to go with Purdy and there is really nothing Lance can do at this point...One has shown it in the actual games while the other would just be looking great on the practice field. 

It was Purdy's job to lose pre-injury sure.

BUT the injury changes alot.

Trey has an opportunity to level up with no Brock all off-season.

Trey is saying he wants an opportunity to compete, when healthy. I don't think anybody in his position would take the stance that Purdy played to the point that there is absolutely no competition. He played great for a rookie. But we all know the NFL is a 'what have you done for me lately' league.

Trey will have every opportunity in the off-season to remind ppl why he was a Top 5 overall pick. And with no Brock to hog most of the first-team reps. 

Whether he seizes the opportunity is a whole other deal. But there will be major questions surrounding Purdy's effectiveness after his surgery. So it isn't some forgone conclusion that he's same player when he returns. Sometimes whispers turn into doubts, especially if Lance is impressive enough during the off-season.

Purdy is clearly the frontrunner if he were healthy.

But him not being healthy and his throwing arm in limbo, gives Lance the opportunity to close the gap. Even if it's a slight one. 

So we won't know until TC rolls around, just how effective Purdy is and how much time is needed to get him back to where he left of.

In the meantime Lance is absorbing most of the reps all off-season, giving him more time and more opportunity to ascend. 

Like I said, we don't know if he'll show enough improvement to take advantage of the opportunity. 

But him basically him having another off-season with the offense all to himself shouldn't just be casually overlooked either.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2