2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

With Purdy's throwing arm being perhaps the biggest concern this offseason, I do not think this is such a good idea....

I'm just having a good time with this but just like last year, it's going to be hard for Lance to win the locker room. There is no doubt guys like Kittle and Juice LOVE Jimmy G and preferred him over Lance and now there's a bunch that prefer Purdy over him....And I get it to an extent. Those two have WON games for the team while Lance has not. But it is not a coincidence that respected reporters like Maiocco were reporting during the playoffs that players would be ticked if Purdy is not the QB next season over Lance. So even if he takes the next step and kills it in the offseason and in training camp in particular, it is not going to matter to most of the players. If Purdy is the week 1 starter, he's not going to give up his spot unless he gets injured because he has proven he can lead this offense to a high level and the team is not going to be losing many games. 

Lance will never out right request a trade and truly will believe he can the competition but the writing is on the wall here. Oh well, hope he kills it to whatever team he ends up on next offseason. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm just having a good time with this but just like last year, it's going to be hard for Lance to win the locker room. There is no doubt guys like Kittle and Juice LOVE Jimmy G and preferred him over Lance and now there's a bunch that prefer Purdy over him....And I get it to an extent. Those two have WON games for the team while Lance has not. But it is not a coincidence that respected reporters like Maiocco were reporting during the playoffs that players would be ticked if Purdy is not the QB next season over Lance. So even if he takes the next step and kills it in the offseason and in training camp in particular, it is not going to matter to most of the players. If Purdy is the week 1 starter, he's not going to give up his spot unless he gets injured because he has proven he can lead this offense to a high level and the team is not going to be losing many games. 

Lance will never out right request a trade and truly will believe he can the competition but the writing is on the wall here. Oh well, hope he kills it to whatever team he ends up on next offseason. 

People make too much of the offseason QB competitions.  At this point, Purdy would have to leave the door open for lance to play.  Injuries happen all the time though.  Since Shanahan has taken over, we have had a ton of injuries to the QB position.  

Injuries to 2017 Hoyer, 2018 Mullens, 2018 Garropolo, 2020 Mullens, 2020 Garoppolo, 2021 Garoppolo, 2022 Lance, 2022 Garoppolo, 2022 Purdy, and 2022 Johnson.  Those are just the injuries I can think of off the top of my head, and my memory is a little fuzzy, so that might not be complete or accurate, but you get the point. 

Since that time there has only been two major changes to the depth chart that differ from the depth chart entering camp.  The first is when Mullens was a healthy scratch in 2020, and replaced by CJ.  The other is Purdy over Sudfeld.  The preseason depth chart at QB has carried over directly in every other instance.

Lance will likely get his chance to win the locker room, but it probably won't be in ota's and camp.  He needs to be ready when/if Purdy get/stays hurt.  TBH, I don't think it's a competition for the starting spot this offseason, I think Purdy gets to step in when he's healthy and ready, assuming that's before week 1.  If Purdy's injury lingers, that could change things, but like I said before, injuries are what is likely to cause changes to the depth chart.

7 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

People make too much of the offseason QB competitions.  At this point, Purdy would have to leave the door open for lance to play.  Injuries happen all the time though.  Since Shanahan has taken over, we have had a ton of injuries to the QB position.  

Injuries to 2017 Hoyer, 2018 Mullens, 2018 Garropolo, 2020 Mullens, 2020 Garoppolo, 2021 Garoppolo, 2022 Lance, 2022 Garoppolo, 2022 Purdy, and 2022 Johnson.  Those are just the injuries I can think of off the top of my head, and my memory is a little fuzzy, so that might not be complete or accurate, but you get the point. 

Since that time there has only been two major changes to the depth chart that differ from the depth chart entering camp.  The first is when Mullens was a healthy scratch in 2020, and replaced by CJ.  The other is Purdy over Sudfeld.  The preseason depth chart at QB has carried over directly in every other instance.

Lance will likely get his chance to win the locker room, but it probably won't be in ota's and camp.  He needs to be ready when/if Purdy get/stays hurt.  TBH, I don't think it's a competition for the starting spot this offseason, I think Purdy gets to step in when he's healthy and ready, assuming that's before week 1.  If Purdy's injury lingers, that could change things, but like I said before, injuries are what is likely to cause changes to the depth chart.

Pretty much agree with everything you said. I thought Kyle would have wanted a competition and would have liked to still see Lance have a fair chance to lead this group, but that's not happening....Especially with all the comments we are hearing from players on the team. If they are THAT vocal about it to the press, what do you think they are saying in private? I totally believe Maiocco's report that players will be p*ssed off if anyone but Purdy is the starter heading into week 1 next season. And that will be all she wrote for Lance's time in SF...UNLESS Purdy gets hurt or just isn't nearly the same QB coming back from his injury. 

2 hours ago, Forge said:

Some of the niners are really acting a fool with this talk about the eagles. Just take the L and move on, damn. 

Robbie Gould should not have said anything, but I really do not have a problem with anything that Deebo aiyuk or cmc have said.

Probably not worth the backlash though. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, N4L said:

Robbie Gould should not have said anything, but I really do not have a problem with anything that Deebo aiyuk or cmc have said.

Probably not worth the backlash though. 

Its fine to lament the loss and the circumstances around it. It's weak to denigrate the eagles now after they got beat down, regardless of the reason why. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Forge said:

Its fine to lament the loss and the circumstances around it. It's weak to denigrate the eagles now after they got beat down, regardless of the reason why. 

Especially when you know that they are on the docket next year. There’s an opportunity to prove all of these things that you believe already scheduled.

• Like 1

All of this salty squawking by the 49ers is making me want to go back and re-watch the 1983 NFC champ game between the 49ers/Redskins, and the 1984 Week 2 showdown between the 49ers/Redskins. If there was social media back in '83/84 a lot of those 49ers veterans would have been publicly shouting to the rooftop as to how they got a dose of final minute venom from the officiating.

Anyway, our boys should throttle back a bit. They'll have a chance next year to settle scores. Until then, just stay cloaked in smoke. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

All of this salty squawking by the 49ers is making me want to go back and re-watch the 1983 NFC champ game between the 49ers/Redskins, and the 1984 Week 2 showdown between the 49ers/Redskins. If there was social media back in '83/84 a lot of those 49ers veterans would have been publicly shouting to the rooftop as to how they got a dose of final minute venom from the officiating.

Anyway, our boys should throttle back a bit. They'll have a chance next year to settle scores. Until then, just stay cloaked in smoke. 

That was the uncatchable pass interference, right?