2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

Just now, Forge said:

Fare thee well, Robbie 

Dang, now we have to sign or draft a kicker that's not perfect in the postseason?? Oh well, definitely will save some money with a rookie kicker.

I know we need to save money for future contracts but a big addition is going to be made in the next weeks and I can't wait! 

• Like 1

On 3/3/2023 at 7:41 AM, 49ersfan said:

Did we replace Cory Undlin as defensive pass game specalist/secondary coach? Or is Wilks going to be the de-facto replacement alongside his DC duties? 

I believe Daniel Bullocks is still our safeties coach 

Lynch said Wilks will be hands on with the DBs. Wouldn't surprise me if Bullocks ends up being DB coach. I do think Bullocks could end up being DC in 2 seasons. 

• Like 2

Despite not being a household name, free agent pass-rusher Samson Ebukam is getting some buzz here in early March. He could earn somewhere in the double-digit millions per year. Ebukam had five sacks with the San Francisco 49ers, playing well in an expanded role.

They are also hearing the Niners are in on Mayfield. 

As for Ebukam? Good luck and we should be getting a good comp pick if he signs for 10M+ a year. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

As for Ebukam? Good luck and we should be getting a good camp pick if he signs for 10M+ a year. 

I have high hopes for Drake Jackson.. Gotta think he can take that next step and play ~550 snaps compared to the 301 he played this year. Still would like to bring back Omenihu if possible and add a cheapish vet. But yeah Ebukam is long gone at that price for sure

For reference.. (DAMN Gipson!)

Screenshot-20230305-104750-Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, adamq said:

I have high hopes for Drake Jackson.. Gotta think he can take that next step and play ~550 snaps compared to the 301 he played this year. Still would like to bring back Omenihu if possible and add a cheapish vet. But yeah Ebukam is long gone at that price for sure

For reference.. (DAMN Gipson!)

Screenshot-20230305-104750-Chrome.jpg

I also have high hopes for Drake Jackson, but I think we will slightly miss Ebukam in run defense, he set a solid edge if I’m not mistaken.

that being said, I kinda expect us to make a splash in FA on the EDGE. I’m not saying the #1 or 2 available, but I think a solid veteran pass rusher like Mack would be a target as well as hopefully bringing back Omenihu.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I also have high hopes for Drake Jackson, but I think we will slightly miss Ebukam in run defense, he set a solid edge if I’m not mistaken.

that being said, I kinda expect us to make a splash in FA on the EDGE. I’m not saying the #1 or 2 available, but I think a solid veteran pass rusher like Mack would be a target as well as hopefully bringing back Omenihu.

I wanted to mention Mack, but have  no clue what his market would be.. if they can afford him, booyah

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adamq said:

I wanted to mention Mack, but have  no clue what his market would be.. if they can afford him, booyah

He would need to be released, we couldn’t afford a trade and take on his contract which is somewhere around $23 mil+ I believe. 

The FA market isn’t bad for pass rushers, especially aging ones that you can keep on a pitch count. We should be able to get one if needed, the only issue is Drake Jackson isn’t an Edge setter and I wouldn’t expect an aging situational pass rusher to be in there and set the edge on obvious running downs.

I expect to lose Ebukam, who was a good edge setter, this is why I hope we bring back Omenihu just to have the edge setter there. I DO NOT WANT ARMSTEAD MOVED OUTSIDE TO SET THE EDGE! He needs to stay inside where he is best

how many times can I say ‘edge setter’ in one post

Edited by P_locniners
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

They are also hearing the Niners are in on Mayfield. 

As for Ebukam? Good luck and we should be getting a good comp pick if he signs for 10M+ a year. 

If Lamar gets non-exclusive tagged, I would love to offer him a huge contract. I am not sure how it works given we don't have a first this year, but I would absolutely trade 2024 and 2025 firsts for a 25 year old unicorn. 

Adding Lamar to this offense would be unbelievably fun. Deebo CMC and Lamar?? Sheesh. 

Baker would be a real solid addition imo. I see no downside there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, N4L said:

If Lamar gets non-exclusive tagged, I would love to offer him a huge contract. I am not sure how it works given we don't have a first this year, but I would absolutely trade 2024 and 2025 firsts for a 25 year old unicorn. 

Adding Lamar to this offense would be unbelievably fun. Deebo CMC and Lamar?? Sheesh. 

Baker would be a real solid addition imo. I see no downside there. 

I just don’t like Bakers attitude/personality and I don’t know if I would want that in a room with two very young QBs.

Baker definitely has talent, that has never been my issue with him,he just rubs me the wrong way and I don’t know if he is the veteran presence I want with our current QBs.

if it happens I won’t put up a big stink, but if we don’t sign him, I won’t be heartbroken at all