2023 49ers offseason thread: Wilks to be new DC

49erscap

7 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lynch said we don't know if it is a 6 month recovery or 9 month recovery or even a 13 month recovery

Purdy's surgery is perfectly set before FA. If he needs hybrid surgery id assume they will invest in a high-end QB2. 

25 minutes ago, Forge said:

When you're just a random person who started creating content as a fan because you wanted to talk 49ers and then you find yourself at the combine and John Lynch knows who you are, that has to be an awesome experience. 

I wish I the 49ers knew who I was/am :( lol I actually think they do though to be serious.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Purdy's surgery is perfectly set before FA. If he needs hybrid surgery id assume they will invest in a high-end QB2. 

I thought the hybrid was the best case and the full re-construction would take substantially longer. Maybe I'm flipping them though.

IF we can get CGJ or Hargrave.............................The Eagles will still be very good next season but these guys won't be easy to replace. Should be interesting but they are planning one year ahead of the contract that Hurts will be getting soon. Smart. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

IF we can get CGJ or Hargrave.............................The Eagles will still be very good next season but these guys won't be easy to replace. Should be interesting but they are planning one year ahead of the contract that Hurts will be getting soon. Smart. 

CGJ would be a fun option for this team. 

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

CGJ would be a fun option for this team. 

The only thing that would worry me is that he's a really bad tackler.  I feel like that has mattered for the 49ers when it comes to corners, but I'm not sure how they feel about it for safeties. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

The only thing that would worry me is that he's a really bad tackler.  I feel like that has mattered for the 49ers when it comes to corners, but I'm not sure how they feel about it for safeties. 

I mean Hufanga missed a crap ton of tackles and they didn't seem to mind too much lol.

Just now, Forge said:

Gibson and Ward's sure-tackling saved a lot of coverage mistakes. Huf is not as sure of a tackler as he should be, so having two iffy tacklers on the backend could lead to some big YAC gains. 

BUT, having a guy like CGJ covering on the backend while Huf roams around the LoS sounds like an ideal role fit for both guys. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean Hufanga missed a crap ton of tackles and they didn't seem to mind too much lol.

Do you want two of those guys? lol. 

I mean, it's definitely a consideration that needs to be taken into account. We've been spoiled between Ward and Gipson and how reliable they were bringing people down. 

But obviously CGJ brings some versatility and ball skills which I would really like. I think it's important that we keep pushing this turnover thing. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I’m taking Hargrave all day, especially if we can add talent opposite Bosa. Our D-line would be disgustingly awesome.

for the most part I like our secondary as long as we bring back Moseley and either Ward or Gipson (probably only afford to bring one of them back). We have talent there and adding to our d-line only improves that

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

Do you want two of those guys? lol. 

I mean, it's definitely a consideration that needs to be taken into account. We've been spoiled between Ward and Gipson and how reliable they were bringing people down. 

But obviously CGJ brings some versatility and ball skills which I would really like. I think it's important that we keep pushing this turnover thing. 

CGJ is SUPER versatile and can cover the slot well or play FS. He would be a great addition to the team, especially if Ward is gone. I still would like to bring Ward back and think he still has two high level years left but if he is gone and they want to go cheaper? CGJ would be awesome. 

2 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

I’m taking Hargrave all day, especially if we can add talent opposite Bosa. Our D-line would be disgustingly awesome.

for the most part I like our secondary as long as we bring back Moseley and either Ward or Gipson (probably only afford to bring one of them back). We have talent there and adding to our d-line only improves that

As much as I like Hargrave, he's already 30 years old and I think he's going to break the bank. He's going to push 20 million, I think. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Which for a big part is the scheme and what he is told to do. Most of his missed tackles are close to the LOS where he is told to go for the big play instead of playing it sound. Don't recall many missed tackles from him where it was either he makes the tackle or its a big play.

Just now, Justone2 said:

Which for a big part is the scheme and what he is told to do. Most of his missed tackles are close to the LOS where he is told to go for the big play instead of playing it sound. Don't recall many missed tackles from him where it was either he makes the tackle or its a big play.

Yep, I mentioned this during the season and first heard Sherman talk about it and how the fans have no idea what Ryans is asking from them. Ryans preferred Hufanga go for the big play and if he didn't get the tackle, someone would be behind to clean up the mess. Now, he still misses routine tackles at times that he should not but it is clear he is told to just pin his ears back and go try to make a play at or behind the LOS.