BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

2 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I debated between Murphy and Smith when I traded up last time. I’m ecstatic to grab both here. This draft is going well for me I think 

Building up the trenches and solidfying the run game are never bad ideas. 

And if you take Dak into account, I'd say you're having a nice haul.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Whicker said:

I debated between Murphy and Smith when I traded up last time. I’m ecstatic to grab both here. This draft is going well for me I think 

Smith is the edge version of Kamcey. Will be a good pass rusher but get pushed around in the run game.  He was my ninth edge prospect but I get the allure

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

Smith is the edge version of Kamcey. Will be a good pass rusher but get pushed around in the run game.  He was my ninth edge prospect but I get the allure

That just doesn't show up on tape though at all. Despite his size, he was a plus run defender in the SEC. Sure his job was maybe a little easier being on the Georgia defense at all but I don't see how he goes from plus run defender to negative against the run.

My concern with Smith's frame is more to do with durability, as it almost always will be when it comes to players with less than ideal frames.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bcb1213 said:

It is definitely interesting how different the opinions are at edge outside of Anderson. I disliked Tyree the most of the surefire first round guys but that’s clearly an unpopular opinion 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

That just doesn't show up on tape though at all. Despite his size, he was a plus run defender in the SEC. Sure his job was maybe a little easier being on the Georgia defense at all but I don't see how he goes from plus run defender to negative against the run.

My concern with Smith's frame is more to do with durability, as it almost always will be when it comes to players with less than ideal frames.

And again. I'm a 4-3 Homer guy.  You make Smith put his hand on the ground I think he gets pushed around.  Just my opinion.  As a 3-4 backer I think he clearly has more potential which is why he's prob lower on my board than others.  I don't think he has the frame to add much weight either without giving up his speed edge

25 minutes ago, Scoundrel said:

Smith 8th player on my board. Micah potential 

I don't blame you being a UGA fan and all...I just don't have him that high simply because Parsons proved to be, at worst, an elite off ball LB even if he provided zero pass rush ability, whereas I think Smith is basically the guy you hope is a dominant EDGE rusher and if he's not, he has next to no value in the off ball capacity. JMHO

22 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I think Smith is a guy that was a byproduct of how elite that DL was with the size/athleticism and scheme in a 3-4, whereas Parsons is scheme versatile.

I get what you're saying, but if you draft Smith to be a 4-3 EDGE that's not a hybrid, or even a pure 3-4 hand in the dirt guy all the time...ooooooof that's going to be him getting bullied a LOT.

I remember when Breese was the #1 overall recruit and people thought he'd be the next great interior terror. He was capable at Clemson, but you saw good and bad flashes. Pickle was right to say "high upside pick". He was a frustrating evaluation for me. I wanted to like him, I just couldn't...but I do get the allure.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I remember when Breese was the #1 overall recruit and people thought he'd be the next great interior terror. He was capable at Clemson, but you saw good and bad flashes. Pickle was right to say "high upside pick". He was a frustrating evaluation for me. I wanted to like him, I just couldn't...but I do get the allure.

My understanding just based on reports I've read, a lot of people have sort of given him a pass for not taking that next step this year due to all of the personal issues he had going on, particularly in relation to his sister. 

And I will also say, I don't think the Clemson scheme does the DL any help in terms of helping them pop on top. It's a lot of dew yer job type stuff imo.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rackcs said:

Sure his job was maybe a little easier being on the Georgia defense at all but I don't see how he goes from plus run defender to negative against the run.

Well, the step up from college to the NFL might have something to do with it.

Just now, Blue said:

Well, the step up from college to the NFL might have something to do with it.

I mean, he showed plus run defense in the SEC, I'm not saying he'll be as good at it in the pros as he was in college but I have a hard time seeing him drop to being bad against the run. It's not like he was at D3 ****state University bodying dudes. He was in the SEC doing those things, I think it's reasonable to expect he'll be at least ok in the pros despite the frame.

3 minutes ago, rackcs said:

I mean, he showed plus run defense in the SEC, I'm not saying he'll be as good at it in the pros as he was in college but I have a hard time seeing him drop to being bad against the run. It's not like he was at D3 ****state University bodying dudes. He was in the SEC doing those things, I think it's reasonable to expect he'll be at least ok in the pros despite the frame.

The SEC isn't the NFL.