BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

4 hours ago, rackcs said:

I think since a player is involved we need two more approvals but could be different here. I don't remember the last time someone traded for someone during the draft.

Sadly it was Jake Fromm.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, InjuredReserve said:

Pick will be in shortly. Saw we were up in Discord.

Cool. I was hoping to get to 6.8 tonight as I am leaving on vacation in the morning and will be driving for about 4-5 hours.

Final Lancaster Draft:

I came into this draft with a bunch of middle round picks and no first round pick. I knew the amount of guaranteed starters I would get would be low so I wanted to get a mix of upside plays and immediate starters. I wanted to come away with multiple defensive line players, Steve Avila, a few more playmakers, and some secondary help. I think I nailed those goals and grabbed a bunch of my personal favorite guys along the way.

2.11 - Jahmyr Gibbs, RB, Alabama - I wasn't sure Gibbs would make it to me, I heard some people above me were interested. I had already made my peace and was planning to draft two running backs later on to create a solid committee. Luckily I got Gibbs instead. I love running backs that are just as much a weapon in the passing game in the running game and had hoped Miles Sanders would be my Kamara replacement. While I think the Gibbs-Kamara comp isn't a perfect one, it does encapsulate the kind of role I want him to have in my offense.
Ideal Fit: Philadelphia Eagles

3.5 - Felix Anudike-Uzomah, EDGE, Kansas State - A personal favorite player of mine in this class, Anudike-Uzomah has a nice mix of pro-readiness and upside. I love that he already has a well-develop arsenal of pass rush moves and uses them consistently. I find that a rare trait in college pass rushers and it's one that I covet.
Ideal Fit: Los Angeles Chargers

3.8 - Adetomiwa Adebawore, INT, Northwestern - This is really a pure upside pick. I liked Adebawore's film but wasn't overwhelmed by it. I won't lie that I was largely won over by the testing to take him this high. I would love to see him add a couple of pounds, move to the interior, and just cause disruption.
Ideal Fit: New Orleans Saints

3.10 - Steve Avila, OL, TCU - Probably my single favorite player in this class. He was the first player that I decided I was going to draft no matter what. Not the biggest upside but the dude is just good and tough and versatile. I imagine Avila will be starting for me this season, whether at center or guard.
Ideal Fit: New York Giants

4.8 - Cedric Tillman, WR, Tennessee - In a class with a bunch of tiny slot guys, Tillman stood out to me right away when I watched him. While the Tennessee offense is a bit goofy and makes him hard to project, I went and watched some 2021 film and really liked what I saw then as well. I think Tillman will likely be rotational at best this year but I'm glad I was able to grab a dude with legit size and X potential.
Ideal Fit: New England Patriots

4.14 - Keion White, EDGE, Georgia Tech - I watched three games of Keion White. The first one I was really blown away. There was tons of hustle, some slick pass rush moves, everything I wanted to see. The second one I was confused. He seemed uninterested, he just bullrushed dudes. Then the third one he was playing with effort again. I was very confused but there's no denying the tools. He's long and strong and fast, just how I like my football players. I also liked that he was scheme versatile. Another upside move, but one I felt I could make having already grabbed Anudike-Uzomah and having so many picks.
Ideal Fit: Kansas City Chiefs

5.7 - Tyrique Stevenson, CB, Miami - What can I say, I was really all in on drafting this guy. I had planned to take him in the 4th but shifted my plans around when I started thinking about Adebawore. I was pretty set on Stevenson for about the last month. I think he was the last guy available with legit #1 CB upside. In the end, I decided I probably wouldn't care if I missed out on next year's 5th and a PFA but I would regret it if I didn't get Stevenson and he panned out.
Ideal Fit: Los Angeles Rams

5.8 - Tucker Kraft, TE, South Dakota State - A bit of a panic pick after Stevenson unexpectedly went right before me but he had been my BPA since I took White off the board and had been one of my top 5 BPAs for a little more than a round at this point. TE isn't my biggest need but never hurts to have more skill position guys for your quarterback to play with. 
Ideal Fit: Houston Texans

5.16 - Kyu Blu Kelly, CB, Stanford - I had been planning to double dip at CB late since I liked the depth of this class in the middle rounds. I had 2-3 guys ranked pretty close here but went with a higher floor guy after my high upside, low floor pick in Stevenson. As Scoundrel and I have discussed many times, we love Kelly's pedigree. Should hopefully be a solid depth, spot-starter guy.
Ideal Fit: San Francisco 49ers

6.2 - Ji'ayir Brown, S, Penn State - This was another pre-ordained pick. I knew I liked a lot of these safeties around this range and wanted one. I was hoping more would be off the board so I wouldn't have to pick from the crowd but I'm not upset and getting my pick of the little either. Brown's versatility to play either safety spot and wear many hats got him the nod over some of the other guys available.
Ideal Fit: Pittsburgh Steelers

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Cool. I was hoping to get to 6.8 tonight as I am leaving on vacation in the morning and will be driving for about 4-5 hours.

Sorry we slowed it down. I underestimated the progress tonight and was mid workout when we hit the clock. Finished debating. Bout to post.

• Like 1

My little recap:

1.5 Christian Gonzalez CB Oregon

Gonzo was the number 2 player on my board (QBs were taken off at the top of it). I really like my corner group but felt the potential with Gonzo was well worth the pick at 5. Make a strength stronger. I think Spoon is the better corner prospect right now but I am gambling on the upside and length of Gonzo here. 

1.6 Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR Ohio State

I traded up for Jaxon and gave a lot for a  “slot receiver”. Jaxon has been one of my favorite prospects for a while kind of like my love for Hutchinson last year. I needed help at WR and feel he fits my group well with Chase being an alpha and Jameson giving us deep speed, with the size of Pitts and Likely helping out our unit utilizing the craftiness of JSN inside to be Burrow’s new best friend felt like it was worth giving up what it took to get my guy.

3.16 Josh Downs WR North Carolina 

This is where I started to feel regret with my class. A tiny slot receiver after slot JSN I feel I should have gone Tillman here. Or stayed put at 5.3 and taken Rice. I love Downs tape though and I am a huge pedigree guy and with father and uncle being NFL players I have hope on his work ethic. I do like the prospect but the size and moving up was probably just an impulsive decision by me. I like his fit in my 4 wide in the slot with JSN as well. I am excited for the potential but won’t be surprised if it’s not lived up to. The drop rate and contested catch rate shows he plays above his size. I hope for the best.

5.10 Tyjae Spears RB Tulane

With Taylor and Dobbins on the final years of their deals I was leaving this draft with a RB be damned. I liked Spears as my fifth back behind Izzy and Charb who went in the same round (Charb right before my pick). But Spears has been compared to Tony Pollard a former Trapper. I don’t see the same speed and he is smaller but I really love Spears’ game and tape. He might not be the bellcow we need going forward but I expect him to be a solid contributor for our backfield and this was a pure heart pick as I have wanted Spears since I watched him against USC in the bowl game.

6.9 Roschon Johnson RB Texas

Brings a bit of a different skill set to my RB room. Plus pass blocker and do it all bulldozer. He has enough burst to make things happen. He’s not going to be a home run hitter but can pick up crucial yards and pairs nicely with Spears. The most missed tackles forced per carry and a team first player. Excited to see how his career unfolds.

6.12 Kendre Miller RB TCU

Definitely a reach especially considering giving up a next year 4th but he was a draft crush of mine. Still only 20, love his contact balance and his refusal to go down combined with his jump cut. Patient runner allows his blocks to set up. Not an elite athlete and needs more exposure in the passing game but good size at 5’11 215 to match good production.

7.12 A.T. Perry WR Wake Forest

Perry gives me a different skillset at receiver than my other two picks. There were two other receivers I liked here as well but with lingering injury concerns and slot possibilities I chose to go with the lanky outside deep threat. Perry had a very good RAS score and very good production the past two years averaging 13 TDs a season over that span. He needs to clean up some drops and despite being 6’3 198 he isn’t really a contested catch guy. Well worth the gamble here on an older prospect (I took Kupp in round 5 my first year and he turned 24 in June before his rookie year, AT turns 24 in October) with big play potential to round out my draft.

Edit: Gained a 2024 1st lost a 2024 4th, 2 2024 5th’s, and a 2025 7th

• Like 1