BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

1 minute ago, rackcs said:

There are very few movies that hit me as hard on the first watch as the Matrix did. I'll never forget just how cool it was, how innovative the action and camerawork was. The rest of the Matrix movies are honestly **** but that first one, my god is it so good.

If you're into imagery and "deeper meanings", it's actually pretty cool too, at least from my faith standpoint. Neo means "new", then Morpheus means "Form or Shape" and the Greek god of sleep. Trinity is a bit on the nose, but it's a giant allegory for choosing to be blissfully ignorant or unaware vs. the hard path of biblical Christianity/journey with a gospel allegory. It's why Neo is referred to as "THE ONE", hence the death/resurrection scene, sent to deliver salvation, etc.

If not, it's still a good watch from a postmodern standpoint as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

If you're into imagery and "deeper meanings", it's actually pretty cool too, at least from my faith standpoint. Neo means "new", then Morpheus means "Form or Shape" and the Greek god of sleep. Trinity is a bit on the nose, but it's a giant allegory for choosing to be blissfully ignorant or unaware vs. the hard path of biblical Christianity/journey with a gospel allegory. It's why Neo is referred to as "THE ONE", hence the death/resurrection scene, sent to deliver salvation, etc.

The nice thing with stuff like this is that you don't need to be religious to get the message they're going for. Nutty hardliners aside, the New Testament stuff where most of is this derived from is pretty unoffensive "be nice to other people" fare.

Edited by Blue
  • Like 1

Just now, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I definitely appreciated a lot of that as well but also bullet time

I took Llama, who had never seen the Matrix, to see it in IMAX for the like 20th anniversary or whatever a few years back and his mind was blown. Looking over every time some cool **** happened and he had this big dumb grin on his face was very memorable to me. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Blue said:

The nice thing with stuff like this is that you don't need to be religious to get the message they're going for. Nutty hardliners aside, the New Testament stuff where most of is this derived from is pretty unoffensive "be nice to other people" fare.

Yeah, I think it's always cool to see biblical imagery used and utilized even if I don't always agree with it's portrayal, such as the "Sons of Anarchy" ending and what they were going for there (outstretched arms, blood and bread, self sacrifice, etc.).

Or how Superman appeared to humanity at age 33 and was sent to deliver the entire human race from total annihilation and destruction.

https://ew.com/article/2013/06/17/man-of-steel-jesus/

The Superman Gospel begins a long time ago and far away in the heavens with an exalted otherworldly Father figure, whose very special son is not only proof of his awesome life giving creative powers but satisfy this story’s condition of a miraculous birth, albeit ironically: Kal-El is the first naturally conceived child on Krypton in countless years. Jor-El also plays the role of Old Testament prophet, promising fire and brimstone to a sinfully proud culture if they don’t immediately change their ways. Having failed to save his world by convincing them to reform, Jor-El executes a more radical redemption scheme through his only begotten son: The father will figuratively and literally place creation on Kal-El’s shoulders by imprinting the genetic record of his people on Kal-El. Through The Son, Krypton will be born again.

The alien messiah comes to Earth as a baby and is raised by humble rural folk who are grateful for the blessing of a child, but also a little confused and even frightened by the extraordinary significance of the strange little boy. What child is THIS? Indeed. Kal-El loses his heavenly name but not his supernatural power. But in contrast Christ (and previous Superman stories), Clark Kent’s God-like identity is smothered, not burnished, by the influence of his well-meaning parents. They don’t want him acting like a Superboy, and more, have huge reservations about him becoming a Superman. But Clark can’t help it; it’s his nature to play savior. A moment when hyper-protective Jonathan Kent argues the point with Clark evokes a moment from the life of Christ, when Jesus’ parents discover him missing, go searching for him, and find him teaching the elders at the temple with a wisdom beyond his years. When Joseph scolds his adopted son for his actions and causing them anxiety, Jesus barks back: “Knew you not that I must be about my father’s business?” Jesus puts his parents in their place. Clark isn’t so fortunate. He’ll spend the rest of his youth hiding his true self from the world.

The rest is a nice read as well if you're into that type of stuff to see how it's utilized in the modern day.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Top Gun: Maverick

top-gun-maverick-tom-cruise-captain-spea

Let's be honest, half of you who went to see this movie expected corny dialogue, nostalgic music and flashback scenes, an incredible summer blockbuster from an action scene, and then you walked away hoping that the person next to you would turn to you and say something along the lines of "Okay, should we watch that again? I mean...am I crazy to say that this was not just a summer blockbuster, but a legitimately awesome movie, right? I mean...if you don't agree that's fine, but I think you're wrong."

Stroud at #1 will largely depend upon the Panthers pick, but Witherspoon at #13 was like stealing money. Trading 33 for a 1st was a brilliant move.  How Banks and Washington fell to you at those spots is also stealing value IMO. Mazi Smith and DJ Turner's stock seems to be trending up (albeit I don't see it with Turner personally) and a couple of late round fliers with a RAS freak in Harrison and a film standout but RAS dud in Boutte was well worth the low risk there.

One great prospect after another during a weak draft class, much like how one film really stood out during a super dull movie period.

I'll take it.  

Even if Stroud is evidently  a moron.

3 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'll take it.  

Even if Stroud is evidently  a moron.

What's funny is the S2 people said essentially "all did well" and "unnamed sources" are leaking the 18. Others have chimed in saying that it's just "A" point on the S2 test that is being taken out of context, others say it's the entire thing.

Interesting thoughts here

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

What's funny is the S2 people said essentially "all did well" and "unnamed sources" are leaking the 18. Others have chimed in saying that it's just "A" point on the S2 test that is being taken out of context, others say it's the entire thing.

Interesting thoughts here

Time to clear out cap space to a run at Jordan Love.

Wonder if he took the S2...

• Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 9:39 PM, rackcs said:

Dude I don't understand why this set you off. Blue is just saying that if the trade doesn't go through, it is what it is and he wished you'd shopped the player around before just 3 downing them. That's literally all he's saying. Nobody is saying you're terrible or dumb or horrible or anything. Nothing there is meant to be an insult to you or anything you did.

I am not at fault. 3 downing Howard was my plan. I had no intention of ever shipping him. Blue approached me after I 3 downed him. I had no involvement in seeking compensation nor did I expect any