BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

3 hours ago, TedLavie said:

If anyone wants to move a 3d player or may be interested in one of our guys for a 3u&o (except AJ Brown obviously), we're open to business

TedLavie cannot receive messages.

Some Singapore Hype (And Hawkeye on Hawkeye action)

TE Sam LaPorta

Sam LaPorta was easily the best player on the field at Saturday’s practice. He ran precise routes, showed soft hands, and (likely) caught more passes than any other player on the field. When he puts his foot in the ground and cut, there is no wasted movement and he is often leaving the defender in a trail position. Some of his crossing routes were simply uncoverable for any of the defenders on the field.

The show-stealing moment of the day was during a special teams drill when offensive and defensive players went one-on-one. In the drill, there was an “alley” for the offensive player to run down and the defender was asked to get hands on him to simulate a tackle (no pads on Saturday, so tackling was not permitted).

LaPorta and Campbell faced off several times in this special teams drill with LaPorta winning the majority. But after LaPorta beat Campbell decisively on one rep, the players called for a quick rematch, so the duo lined up once again. It was over in an instant, as LaPorta executed a nasty dead leg move that left Campbell grasping at air and LaPorta literally pointing back at him as he ran past.

“Competition brings out the best in both people,” Campbell said of LaPorta. “Hats off to him. He’s a hell of a player. You guys know that. All you can do is keep going every rep, give it your all, focus, fundamentally sound. Obviously, I’ll look back on it, there’s probably something—there’s definitely something—better I could have done, but it was a hell of a play by him.”

LaPorta was quick to point out that while he got the better of Campbell today, these reps tend to even out throughout practices: “You guys just saw that one (rep). I win some and lose some, and he does, too.”

Edited by SirA1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, SirA1 said:

Some Singapore Hype (And Hawkeye on Hawkeye action)

TE Sam LaPorta

Sam LaPorta was easily the best player on the field at Saturday’s practice. He ran precise routes, showed soft hands, and (likely) caught more passes than any other player on the field. When he puts his foot in the ground and cut, there is no wasted movement and he is often leaving the defender in a trail position. Some of his crossing routes were simply uncoverable for any of the defenders on the field.

The show-stealing moment of the day was during a special teams drill when offensive and defensive players went one-on-one. In the drill, there was an “alley” for the offensive player to run down and the defender was asked to get hands on him to simulate a tackle (no pads on Saturday, so tackling was not permitted).

LaPorta and Campbell faced off several times in this special teams drill with LaPorta winning the majority. But after LaPorta beat Campbell decisively on one rep, the players called for a quick rematch, so the duo lined up once again. It was over in an instant, as LaPorta executed a nasty dead leg move that left Campbell grasping at air and LaPorta literally pointing back at him as he ran past.

“Competition brings out the best in both people,” Campbell said of LaPorta. “Hats off to him. He’s a hell of a player. You guys know that. All you can do is keep going every rep, give it your all, focus, fundamentally sound. Obviously, I’ll look back on it, there’s probably something—there’s definitely something—better I could have done, but it was a hell of a play by him.”

LaPorta was quick to point out that while he got the better of Campbell today, these reps tend to even out throughout practices: “You guys just saw that one (rep). I win some and lose some, and he does, too.”

As long as he's a run first player, it's not that big of a deal. Throw in a JAM/7 tech on LaPorta, and he probably doesn't get a clean release off of the line...and if he's lined up in the slot and doesn't have his hand in the dirt, odds are that's your Apex/Star player having that responsibility.

Thank you for coming to my TED Talk.