BDL Discussion Thread 2023

Jlash

19 minutes ago, Blue said:

We're talking about Marquise Brown, not AJ Brown

Solid starting WR in a pass happy offense and gives me a speedy option on the outside, I'd throw $ at that. Not A.J brown levels but $.

The big challenge for us in New Orleans after returning following a season in Flint was managing the cap and expiring talent.

Arguably our 6 most valuable assets had just come off contract, with Josh Allen and Deebo Samuel dropping off their rookie deals, D.J. Moore had just finished his 5th year option and Jeffery Simmons, Nick Bosa and Christian Wilkins all being 5th year option eligible.

In the 2022 season, their salaries were a combined $24,637.

In the 2023 season, their salaries are now a combined $97,162 or otherwise an increase of approximately $72,500.

Obviously the cap going up ~$26k helps, but that still left a short-fall of ~$46k. 

So it became a matter of aggressively clearing out our biggest contracts and being able to replace them as cheaply as possible. With the cap rise creating some new wealth across the league, a lot of people were willing to take on 3+ 3Ds which I was able to take advantage of, giving us enough cap to re-sign all of these guys while having some spare for the draft and some key moves in FA.

Then given the team bad suddenly become very top heavy with those new salaries, I figured depth was going to be an issue meaning the team needed to be re-stocked with cheaper cost-controlled contracts. After a bit of thinking, I came to the conclusion the PFA scramble would be the best way of doing. So then began the strategy of accumulating as many PFA picks as possible. My thoughts specifically were:

1. These are cheap contracts with no obligation to retain them after 1 year; and (most importantly)

2. Given we know their IRL landing spots, it's a lot easier to determine who will be in a good position for playing time in their rookie seasons and hence I may actually be able to rely on these guys as depth rather than just being flyers like you would with a 6th or 7th round pick.

Of the 8 or 9 guys I picked up in PFA, all but a couple of them will be in line for playing time early on which at the very least allows me to stick them on the bench come game day and not be in the auto-loss category if one of them has to see the field. 

Then it's been intertwining the draft with free agency at key positions to have succession plans ready while not sacrificing being able to compete immediately. 

WR - DeAndre Hopkins in FA, Rashee Rice, Michael Wilson and Charlie Jones in Draft/PFA; 
Edge - ZaDarius Smith in FA, Tyree Wilson, Tuli Tuipulotu and Yaya Diaby in Draft/PFA; and 
LB - DeMario Davis by trade, Daiyan Henley and DeMarvion Overshown in Draft/PFA; and 
CB - Stephon Gilmore in FA, Jakorian Bennett, Derion Kendrick, Deommodore Lenoir and Cobie Durant as PFA/ERFA. 

Otherwise outside of the guys mentioned above, the FA goal was to try and tie down players who carry some risk, but could be long-term contributors on cost-effective deals if they work out. Dalton Schultz, Anthony Walker Jr. and Rock Ya-Sin are examples as all of them are entering their primes as players and if they have good seasons, will represent great value on the deals I've signed them.

Unfortunately OL FA has been a bloodbath so it looks like the tank will be plan to fill out those holes in the roster. If there's a backfield that can probably live with a below average OL, it's one with Josh Allen and Derrick Henry given they've still performed well with some poor blocking in front of them. Then I suppose it leaves us with the focus of rebuilding the OL next year. 

• Like 5

Cancun defensive review:

If the secondary stays healthy and we have average play from our 2nd corner, I really like our ability to shut down about anyone in the passing game.

If Thibs starts to reach his potential and Rousseau and Jordan continue their play with Allen on the inside, good luck to opposing OL and QB in the pass rush department.

Werner and company are solid on the inside.

In a perfect world, Travis Jones gets some quality minutes and some guys like Brandon Smith, Foskey, or someone else steps into a role in the future.

• Like 2

WR Rankings are done. This should be a fun one to debate.

WR

1. Greenland- Chris Godwin, Stefon Diggs, Ceedee Lamb, Van Jefferson, Christian Watson, Odell Beckham Jr

This is probably the deepest group in the league. Diggs is a stud, Lamb is fringe top 10. Godwin, if healthy, is still really really good. Watson showed big play ability year one and then the return of OBJ is a nice kicker to the whole group.

1. Singapore- Davante Adams, Michael Gallup, Jerry Jeudy, DeVonta Smith, Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers, Jauan Jennings, Ihmir Smith Marsette

Davante is still elite. DeVonta is  on his way there. Jeudy hasn’t been quite what he was billed as but is still a very good piece. Meyers is a quality slot player and even Bourne is useful in spot duty.

1. Camden- AJ Brown, Cooper Kupp, Gabe Davis, Terrance Marshall, KJ Hamler, Isaiah Hodgins, Nico Collins, Trey Palmer

The duo of AJ Brown and Cooper Kupp are probably the best duo in the league. Camden doesn’t quite have the depth of the others above them.

1. Gotham- Tyreek Hill, Christian Kirk, Tee Higgins, Alec Pierce, Dez Fitzpatrick

4 and 5 are super close, but I’d take Tyreek comfortably over Deebo, I’d rather have Tee Higgins over Hopkins at this point and Kirk vs DJ Moore is kind of a wash for me, so give me Gotham over NO.

1. New Orleans- Deebo Samuel, DJ Moore, DeAndre Hopkins, Rashee Rice, Charlie Jones, Michael Wilson

A really strong trio of Deebo, DJ and Hop. The depth is to be questioned but that is a great trio

1. Cuba- Calvin Ridley, Justin Jefferson, Zay Flowers, Marvin Mims, Rondale Moore, Tyquan Thornton

Justin Jefferson is the best WR in the league. Calvin Ridley is a question mark as to who he will be but you can’t deny he is very talented as a running mate with JJ.

1. Anchorage- Hollywood Brown, Ja’Marr Chase, Jaxon Smith Njiba, Treylon Burks, Jamison Williams, Jalen Reagor, Laviska Shenault, Josh Downs, Erik Ezukanma, AT Perry

Ja’Marr Chase is a stud. Hollywood would be a great compliment to that. It is hard to put this crew above Cuba without seeing anything from JSN yet and the current production we’ve seen from Burks.

1. Berlin- Drake London, Garrett Wilson, Brandon Aiyuk, Kadarius Toney, Romeo Doubs, Jayden Reed, Kayshon Boutte

I could see this group being top 3 or 4 by the end of the season. Wilson was great as a rookie, Aiyuk is better than I think he gets credit for. Both London and Toney could take massive leaps this year and ascend up the ranks. No reason to feel down about the potential of this group if I’m Berlin.

1. Ivory Coast- Terry McLaurin, Jordan Addison, Chase Claypool, Jalin Hyatt, John Mechie, Amon Ra St Brown

Scary Terry and Amon Ra are a really strong duo. There is just a lack of proven talent after that. If IC hits on one or two, this group will be better than their ranking.

1. Rome- Amari Cooper, Jaylen Waddle, JuJu Smith Schuster, Jonathan Mingo, Josh Palmer, Khalil Shakir

I really like their starting 3. I think Waddle is a stud, and Amari Cooper somehow went from overrated to underrated. JuJu is flawed but is a great fit as a slot between Cooper and Waddle. The depth needs to prove itself.

1. Baltimore- Mike Evans, Jahan Dotson, Darnell Mooney, Devin Duvernay, Jalen Tolbert, Anthony Schwartz, KJ Osborn, Kevin Austin

Evans has done nothing but be a 1,000 yard receiver but at this age with a downgrade in QB play its fair to wonder what he’ll be moving forward. I am high on Dotson and Mooney is pretty good. Nothing after that really excites me.

1. Hungary- DK Metcalf, Tyler Lockett, Donovan Peoples Jones, Jarvis Landry, Danny Gray, Bryce Ford Wheaton, Calvin Austin

A great duo in DK and Lockett for sure. DPJ has some big plays as a number 3. Nothing much of note after that 3 though.

1. Cancun- DJ Chark, Chris Olave, Elijah Moore, Lance McCutcheon, Nick Westbrook, Velus Jones

I think Olave will be a top 10 WR in another year or 2. Chark and Moore have major question marks but I can see this being a very strong trio.

1. Raleigh- Courtland Sutton, Diontae Johnson, Michael Thomas, Darius Slayton, Quinten Johnston, Jalen Guyton, Tutu Atwell, Marquez Callaway, David Bell, Dee Eskridge, Justyn Ross

I’ve put a lot of resources in turning this into a respectable group. Diontae is a steady player that I can rely on. Thomas has got to stay on the field and Sutton hasn’t been the same player since his breakout. I have good depth here, but I still lack the top end talent to be put higher.

1. Lancaster- Tyler Boyd, Michael Pittman Jr, Skyy Moore, Quez Watkins, Dyami Brown, Ben Skowronek, Kyle Phillips

Pittman hasn’t jumped into the stratosphere of reliable BDL starter yet. Boyd is a good piece but nothing I’d fear as an opponent. There is a lack of consistency behind them. Lancaster should look to the tank for help.

1. Seoul- Allen Lazard, Zay Jones, Mecole Hardman, Rashod Bateman, George Pickens, Tyler Scott, Tank Dell

I think Pickens is the best player in this group but he lacks consistency. Honestly that is what this whole group is, strong at times but consistency is lacking. A player like Keenan Allen in the tank really could elevate this corps. I don’t think this is a bad room, but I think they are the least proven in the league.

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

WR Rankings are done. This should be a fun one to debate.

WR

1. Singapore- Davante Adams, Michael Gallup, Jerry Jeudy, DeVonta Smith, Kendrick Bourne, Jakobi Meyers, Jauan Jennings, Ihmir Smith Marsette

Davante is still elite. DeVonta is  on his way there. Jeudy hasn’t been quite what he was billed as but is still a very good piece. Meyers is a quality slot player and even Bourne is useful in spot duty.

My goal at the trade deadline last year was to greatly improve my WR corps. Mission accomplished.

At the start of last year my WRs were D. Smith, Gabriel Davis, Jarvis Landry, Jakobi Meyers, Bourne and Jennings.

I traded for Adams who I knew would be a big 3 Up and also Mike Evans who I flipped into Gallup and Jeudy as I had too many outside WR to reasonable start and I think Gallup bounces back this season as solid depth and Jeudy is a young talent. Also wanted to get younger at WR since I prefer not to draft WR.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Without diving into it too much, I'd have 3-4-5 above 1-2. Even Cuba would be up there. But that's because I'd rather have 2 elite guys vs 3 or 4 very good guys 

Both 1 and 2 have elite guys along with more depth than the ones below.

Diggs/Ceedee and Davante/DeVonta are pretty comparable to Brown/Kupp and Hill/Higgins and the depth is significantly better.  Brown and Kupp are the best duo for sure but it difference isn't large enough to not factor in who is behind them as the tie breaker

• Like 1