GDT: Dallas Cowboys vs Washington Commanders (Hopeful and yet realistic EDT)

NoFlyZone

WHEN: 3:25pm CST

WHERE: FedEx Field

WHY: NFL schedule makers say so

DISCLAIMER: I put a tl;dr section at the end of the OP here because I ended up getting perhaps a little wordy. Between my job being what it is and also having an enjoyment for writing I can sometimes quickly get carried away on a keyboard. 

--

Funny, when I first started taking my turn with these GDTs I felt like it was a little empty... like fate had sealed the Cowboys in the #5 seed and the Eagles in the #1 spot heading into the playoffs. Now, in the final game of the regular season, there is a legitimate chance our team could actually take the top spot in the division.. and even the NFC albeit even less likely. All they need to do to win the division is win against a defeated, deflated, playoff-eliminated Washington Commanders team and hope for an Eagles loss in their matchup vs the Giants. To claim the #1 spot in the NFC our team will have to beat Washington and then need for both the Eagles to lose to the Giants and the 49ers to lose to the woeful Arizona Cardinals.

Probably not happening. I don't think much even needs to be said about the 49ers-Cardinals matchup.. if the 49ers manage to mess that one up it will be truly impressive. Meanwhile, I do feel it is at least somewhat possible for the Eagles to lose to the Giants. The Giants are riding a small wave of confidence after demolishing the Colts.. but they can't actually gain anything in terms of changing their seeding even with a win against Philly -- does this mean they'll rest their starters? Daboll gave no indication that he'll rest his guys... but it almost seems likely that he'll rest them in some fashion. Meanwhile, Hurts is returning to a Philly squad that has to be reeling from their recent change of fortune. With Hurts making his return and the Giants potentially resting starters at some point in their matchup... it would be truly comical to see the Eagles lose that matchup. Here's hoping. Ultimately the Cowboys are probably looking at the #5 seed even if they get their win against Washington... but again, here's hoping.

As far as the actual matchup with Washington goes... there isn't a lot that needs to be said. Obviously Washington flunked the final exam of this season and will not be able to have a pass to the playoffs. Genuinely disappointing finish for a team that seemed set to make it into the dance at least as the final WC. They haven't won a game since November, and turning back to Wentz and away from Heinicke with everything on the line was a sudden change that they did NOT need to experiment with. Despite being eliminated, I think they'll give Dallas their best shot, though. As of right now I don't believe Rivera has made public who will be starting at QB (it could even be rookie Sam Howell)... but ultimately it doesn't matter -- Dallas should absolutely win this football game and you'd hope that they could do it rather comfortably with as much health as possible. Best case scenario is a blowout win for our team where they get to rest their starters at some point. Only time will tell.

TL;DR: Cowboys can win the NFC East with a win against the Commanders in addition to Philly losing their game against the Giants who may or may not rest their starters. Cowboys can claim the #1 seed in the NFC with a win against the Commanders and losses by Philly and Niners who happen to be playing the woeful Arizona Cardinals. Obviously it's likely that our team will be slated into the #5 seed... but still slightly excited to watch and see if there is any magic that turns things in their favor. They need to of course first take care of a reeling Commanders team that absolutely epically failed the stretch run to finish out the season and found themselves eliminated. Could be an interesting last week of the regular season. 

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

As a side note, continued positive thoughts and prayers for Demar Hamlin and his family. Same goes to Tee Higgins, too -- don't think he should be forgotten in this incredibly unfortunate, tragic incident as well. Kudos to all first responders and medical professionals that were so quick to administer aid to Demar -- can't imagine they ever thought they would ever have to do anything like that on that night. Truly a horrific event, but hopefully things can continue to trend in the right direction and the best possible outcome can come out of this for him and his family.

Edited by NoFlyZone
  • Like 1

Oddly though at the end of the year comes I have not been disappointed in the play of our WR.  Production from our WR’s had zero effect on the two OT losses and the 1 Philly loss.   The irony though is right now DB is our weakness which I would have ranked no2 best group on the team behind DL

washingtons DL can still crest issues for us so it might not be a cake walk.  I just want us to win

1 minute ago, NoFlyZone said:

Outside of Lamb they have definitely been hugely underwhelming… definitely a reason why they had to pickup TY — though I am grateful that he’s made some clutch, important plays.

I hope TY plays a WR#1/2 role this week. Just to get his reps up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NoFlyZone said:

Outside of Lamb they have definitely been hugely underwhelming… definitely a reason why they had to pickup TY — though I am grateful that he’s made some clutch, important plays.

TY was a fantastic pickup.

What they did in the offseason at WR was gross negligence for a team trying to actually field a Super Bowl contender.

• Like 1