2023 Week #18 GDT 8-8 Steelers vs. 7-9 Browns

Steeler Hitman

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

2017 was the Shazier injury year too. 

I know.

And I think AB was hurt alot at the end of the year.

That is absolutely a year I give Tomlin a pass for.    Definitely no sure thing we do anything even if healthy....but if we had the top seed + a healthy Shazier and AB?   I wanna see that alternate reality.

3 minutes ago, 43M said:

I know.

And I think AB was hurt alot at the end of the year.

That is absolutely a year I give Tomlin a pass for.    Definitely no sure thing we do anything even if healthy....but if we had the top seed + a healthy Shazier and AB?   I wanna see that alternate reality.

Me too. And a 2018 where we don’t tie the Browns early in the season. And 2020 if Pouncey doesn’t botch the first snap. 

But 2017 hurt so much. And that Jags game wasn’t even a blow out. They got the early lead and we played catch up. One stop and we win that game. And I think that it wasn’t even just Shazier being out. Connor was out most the year, Mitchell was injured late in the year, McDonald/Gilbert/Tuitt we’re all playing with some kind of brace. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Me too. And a 2018 where we don’t tie the Browns early in the season. And 2020 if Pouncey doesn’t botch the first snap. 

But 2017 hurt so much. And that Jags game wasn’t even a blow out. They got the early lead and we played catch up. One stop and we win that game. And I think that it wasn’t even just Shazier being out. Connor was out most the year, Mitchell was injured late in the year, McDonald/Gilbert/Tuitt we’re all playing with some kind of brace. 

2017 is the only year of those I feel something could have really happened.

2018 we were fading along with Ben, and the final stretch of 2020 we were arguably a bottom 5 team.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 43M said:

2017 is the only year of those I feel something could have really happened.

2018 we were fading along with Ben, and the final stretch of 2020 we were arguably a bottom 5 team.  

Don’t necessarily disagree. But even a year we fade down the stretch in 2018 could have been a playoff year. 

EDIT ::

I forgot that 2018 was the year that AB went nuts. 

Edited by warfelg

12 hours ago, warfelg said:

He doesn’t get a full pass from me, but more the reasons he doesn’t get a pass from others don’t sit well with me. Saying it’s because he hasn’t won in the playoffs then give context to the wins but not the losses runs me wrong. Mind you the Jags playoff game is the only one that bothers me. 

...And how many Head Coaches have the Jags gone through since then???  Yay...they won a playoff game.  Maybe we should hire Doug Marrone, who made it to the AFC Championship game, but was a combined 12-36, in the next 3 seasons, then hired Urban 'lap dance' Meyer for a season, and now has Pederson, who finished with the same record as Tomlin this year, (who was gifted a team with the #1 Overall Pick QB in his 2nd season, while we had to make due with a rookie QB picked 20th overall). Yet they won their Division, while we were 3rd...

Point being, there are a lot of different factors that go into making the playoffs, and then winning in the playoffs.  Tom Brady is going to the playoffs, with an 8-9 overall record.  Maybe we should contact Tampa Bay and see if they'd trade Head Coaches with us, and bring in Todd Bowles with a 34-50 overall W-L record as a Head Coach...naaaaahh...they'd never even consider that...

I could go on and on, and call me crazy, but I'll take the HC who has a 16-season streak of keeping the Steelers relevant.  Too bad the Steelers aren't in the AFC or NFC South divisions...

And sure, I'm cherry-picking, here, but the point is, who out there would be able to come in next season for us, and do a better job than Tomlin did this season, without the reigning DPOY for half the season, and Mitch Trubisky as our Day 1 starting QB??