Week 18 - race to the bottom of the division! @ Colts

ET80

4 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It really doesn't matter what you think about any of the prospects - the moral of the story here is we're not picking the guy we really think is THE guy.

Let's say CJ Stroud goes absolutely wild at the combine and pro day - just has an incredible workout, solidifies himself as the #1 QB in the class, at 6' 3" 225lbs at 5% bodyfat - just an athletic specimen with plus intangibles. 

You know WHO ISN'T going to draft him? The Texans. Because everyone knows that Houston is picking a QB and you can now talk to Chicago to jump ahead of Houston and take Stroud.

That's why this is so bad. The ability to choose our QB is pretty much out the window at this point. We're getting whatever is left after whoever picks at 1.1 - and that's not good for the Texans.

Yep your best bet is to pull the trade Chicago got ridiculed for years ago: trading up one spot with the team that isn’t taking a qb. I wonder if this time casual fans would know they’re not trading the team to stop them from taking that player, but to stop another team from trading the player out from under them. Otherwise, you’ll just have to be okay with either qb. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

It really doesn't matter what you think about any of the prospects - the moral of the story here is we're not picking the guy we really think is THE guy.

Let's say CJ Stroud goes absolutely wild at the combine and pro day - just has an incredible workout, solidifies himself as the #1 QB in the class, at 6' 3" 225lbs at 5% bodyfat - just an athletic specimen with plus intangibles. 

You know WHO ISN'T going to draft him? The Texans. Because everyone knows that Houston is picking a QB and you can now talk to Chicago to jump ahead of Houston and take Stroud.

That's why this is so bad. The ability to choose our QB is pretty much out the window at this point. We're getting whatever is left after whoever picks at 1.1 - and that's not good for the Texans.

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the Bears will trade #1. If they're smart it'll be expensive. They might not even want to risk missing out on Carter. 

If another team falls in love with a qb and coughs up the dough, it'll still be possible that we liked the other qb better and that we still get our guy. 

If we get leap frogged for our guy, we're still gonna get a ridiculously good football player at 2.

I'm not willing to trade up to #1 if it's up to me. If we wanted it that badly I'm sure we would've lost today. As of right now I'm only taking a qb up there if it's young, I'd take Carter or Johnston at 2 pretty happily if he isn't. 

3 minutes ago, PAtexansFAN_99 said:

I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that the Bears will trade #1. If they're smart it'll be expensive. They might not even want to risk missing out on Carter. 

If another team falls in love with a qb and coughs up the dough, it'll still be possible that we liked the other qb better and that we still get our guy. 

If we get leap frogged for our guy, we're still gonna get a ridiculously good football player at 2.

I'm not willing to trade up to #1 if it's up to me. If we wanted it that badly I'm sure we would've lost today. As of right now I'm only taking a qb up there if it's young, I'd take Carter or Johnston at 2 pretty happily if he isn't. 

Trading up would get the Texans ridiculed like never before. Had the #1 selection the entire season only to give it up the last 50 seconds of the season. Stay at #2 or trade down and work the board. Just don't miss out on Bryce or Stroud. 

19 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

Yep your best bet is to pull the trade Chicago got ridiculed for years ago: trading up one spot with the team that isn’t taking a qb. I wonder if this time casual fans would know they’re not trading the team to stop them from taking that player, but to stop another team from trading the player out from under them. Otherwise, you’ll just have to be okay with either qb. 

Bingo, and that's a high level resource you're now NOT getting because you have to invest it to move up a single spot. So if a guy you had rated as a top 25 guy is available at 33, you're giving up on that chance simply to move up a single spot (which is really where I see it going - Texans won't pay as much a premium vs everyone else because the 2nd pick would probably be involved, but they're still giving up a premium asset). 

Not that this is an option, but I'd give up the 3rd received in the Watson trade (pick 75) along with 1.2 to get 1.1. The draft value chart has the picks like this:

Chi (1.1) = 3000

Hou (1.2, 3.12) = 2815

In essence, Cooks is evaluated as a late 3rd round pick - valued at 185 points. Texans can eat some of the guaranteed money to make that wash, Chicago can toss in a day 3 pick so Houston can still add to their roster, Cooks can get to another team, Justin Fields has a bonafide #1 WR with proven effectiveness and is still playing like a high level WR...

...hmm. This could work on a few fronts, IF the Texans see a QB they absolutely need, a guy who stands out in this class as the franchise QB in the same category as other elite QBs in the league.

3 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Trading up would get the Texans ridiculed like never before. Had the #1 selection the entire season only to give it up the last 50 seconds of the season. Stay at #2 or trade down and work the board. Just don't miss out on Bryce or Stroud. 

And mind you - Texans deserve that ridicule regardless of what happens. Stay at 2 or trade around, the Texans need to be continually reminded they are the trash of the NFL and one of the worst franchises in pro sports - both recently and historically. Nothing they do (or don't do) will change that.

But - if a guy emerges as a clear cut #1, the Texans cannot afford to be leapfrogged by anyone else, they need to find a way to swap with Chicago and get them. The Texans cannot be taken seriously if they're just taking leftovers.

dating app GIF

Beating Sam Ehlinger, Zack Moss, HC Jeff Saturday and the hapless Colts... is their Super Bowl.

Just a pathetic day in Texans history. Perhaps as dark a day as when Bill O'Brien was fired - such a sad franchise with this sort of  low bar of success.

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Not that this is an option, but I'd give up the 3rd received in the Watson trade (pick 75) along with 1.2 to get 1.1. The draft value chart has the picks like this:

Chi (1.1) = 3000

Hou (1.2, 3.12) = 2815

In essence, Cooks is evaluated as a late 3rd round pick - valued at 185 points. Texans can eat some of the guaranteed money to make that wash, Chicago can toss in a day 3 pick so Houston can still add to their roster, Cooks can get to another team, Justin Fields has a bonafide #1 WR with proven effectiveness and is still playing like a high level WR...

I don’t agree with Cooks still being a bonafide #1 anymore but I also don’t know if I would object to picking up a 3rd and clear upgrade at wr, considering it would only cost us the draft position we weren’t even supposed to have. But it still boils down to more than that imo. It isn’t merely finding what you have that is of equal value to what we have, because another team that values your ideal qb as much as you is going to theoretically offer much more than that. Lovie Smith cost you guys so much today, I really don’t understand why you guys didn’t fire him and just put in the worst game the nfl has ever seen today. 

If we did do that trade though, it still leaves the door open for another trade down, which I would absolutely hope we do. Anderson isn’t going to change everything for the worst bears defense I’ve ever seen. 

If the Texans FO thought there was a true 1-1 player there no doubt would have been some players inactive today or young guys would have gotten reps over vets. The fact that that wasn’t the case tells you this draft is pretty meh. Even if someone emerges as the guy to take at 1. 

I didn’t want to win today, but a silver lining is these young guys got to taste victory and play some competitive football over the last month. Cause losing wears in you man. Having had a couple seasons myself were wins were hard to come by, it was hard finding motivation some days.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Ty21 said:

But it still boils down to more than that imo. It isn’t merely finding what you have that is of equal value to what we have, because another team that values your ideal qb as much as you is going to theoretically offer much more than that.

And therein lies the risk. The Texans probably have the assets to outbid everyone in the NFL, the Texans are very pick-rich following the Deshaun Watson trade. 

If there was a hypothetical bidding war, the Texans can't bid on ego or they're going to give up significant assets that are going to be needed to support the QB during their era. There has to be a point where the Texans have to say it's too rich for their tastes and walk away.

Ultimately... the Texans need to evaluate each QB and not figure out who is the *best* but what each brings to the table and how to build around those in the event that QB is starting here (Young needs strong route runners with his own freedom to freestyle, Stroud needs top level WRs with strong hands and catch radius, Richardson needs stout OL who can run block and speedy downfield WRs, Levis needs a miracle...)

Texans have to envision how each guy looks as their QB and how they need to build that perfect setup for that QB. One of the advantages of being so roster-poor is that you can actually build that team around said QB.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, lumberjackchris said:

If the Texans FO thought there was a true 1-1 player there no doubt would have been some players inactive today or young guys would have gotten reps over vets. The fact that that wasn’t the case tells you this draft is pretty meh. Even if someone emerges as the guy to take at 1. 

Or, or... this is a group of very stupid people.

Both are options.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, amazingandre said:

If we sell the farm to move up one pick when we clearly had the opportunity to tank today, I will be done with this team. I will become a Packer fan and end it all. That would be stupid. 

Nobody ever said the Texans were smart... but if Stroud shows up in impeccable condition, runs and throws like a future Mahomes at his pro day and absolutely crushes interviews and demonstrates Manning level football IQ  - the absolute last thing you'd want is the Colts jumping from 5 to 1 to draft him ahead of you. 

This is simply the cost of doing business as an idiot - dumb people pay a premium, it's like having bad credit; You're gonna pay Mercedes Benz prices to get a Ford Taurus, because your stupidity put you in a position early on and nobody is giving you a good interest rate with a 570 score, y'know?

9 hours ago, tab said:

This team is the Houston Cal Mcnairs. You can only be a fan of this team if you are a fan of Cal because everything stems from his clowny decisions. It stinks of Cal

No disagreement here. Things went downhill once Bob died.