2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

15 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Exactly.  A team starved for a Superbowl can get an elite QB on the cheap and open a 2-3 year window but would rather go with Jimmy G to be mediocre longer term and keep a late first rounder to maybe hit on an inconsequential position player who won't move the needle.

Maybe the next Maholmes will drop to us in the next 4-5 years and we can draft him with the 14th pick because that's probably where we'll be with Jimmy 8 games. 

I’d like to add to this for those gun shy about the picks. To go look at our draft history of 1st and 2nd rounders the last 15 years or so. And then tell me how valuable our picks are please.

DOVA rankings the year before Manning and Brady went to DEN /TB respectively.  Both won chips for their clubs and Manning was coming off a serious neck injury and wasn't the same and Brady was 43 his first year coming off a down year where he threw for less yards and less TDs.

DEN - DEF - 20th, OFF - 23rd, OVERALL - 24th

TB - DEF - 6th, OFF - 23rd, OVERALL - 14th

Jets for comparison

DEF - 5th, OFF - 26th, OVERALL - 16th

Looks very similar to TBs situation and better than DEN's.  Why can't we be contenders again?  Also they had some veterans ring chance JPP, Suh in TB from what I remember so we could too.

Still having a hard time seeing why we shouldn't go for it.

Edited by Rockice_8

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d like to add to this for those gun shy about the picks. To go look at our draft history of 1st and 2nd rounders the last 15 years or so. And then tell me how valuable our picks are please.

That's not a great argument for me because JD has been decent and it varies from year to year.  You really need to look no further than the success rate of late first round picks in general.  The bust rate is high and that's likely the spot we'd be in to lose.  It's like a 50/50 shot to land a 1st round non bust which includes even the top picks.

Make it simple, are we going to worry about having a Jermaine Johnson on the team in 2024 when your QB goes from Rodgers down to Jimmy G.  No JJ is a nice player but isn't a huge difference maker that he's not expendable.

46 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

This is a horrible argument. Youre better than this. 

7 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

No way JD is over paying for Rodgers. GB has ZERO leverage here. You can keep Rodgers and his high pay and then you have to sign A. Jones to a top 5 RB money or he is gone. Then you add the fact you have more guys up for FA and you probably want some free momey to sign a FA so your cap is VERY tight. The only other team that has room and wants a 39 year old QB is the Raiders and all signs point to Brady going there. If Brady signs with the Raiders before Rodgers is moved GB is in trouble. You just hope Rodgers calls it a career. GB is not going any where with or without Rodgers. I think the best thing GB gets is a first in 2024. The Jets have options and don't need to make this move. JD has never lost a trade yet. In fact he has ripped tems off the last few years. Expect this to continue with JD. The guy is a savage when it comes to trades.

Except none of those are the case.  First off, it actually cost Green Bay more money to trade him this year ($40M) than his current cap hit ($31.6M).  Secondly, Aaron Jones is under contract for the next 2 seasons, but with very high cap hits ($20M+) that make him a near lock to be restructured/extended.  As for the pending FAs, the only notable ones are Adrian Amos and Allen Lazard.  Lazard is probably gone given what last year's FA market fetched.  As for Amos, the Packers would actually save ~$5M minus whatever his 2023 cap hit is if they manage to re-sign him before his contract voids.

Finally, the Packers don't have to trade Aaron Rodgers.  If you want Rodgers, you're going to give up value to get him.  Not just your scraps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except none of those are the case.  First off, it actually cost Green Bay more money to trade him this year ($40M) than his current cap hit ($31.6M).  Secondly, Aaron Jones is under contract for the next 2 seasons, but with very high cap hits ($20M+) that make him a near lock to be restructured/extended.  As for the pending FAs, the only notable ones are Adrian Amos and Allen Lazard.  Lazard is probably gone given what last year's FA market fetched.  As for Amos, the Packers would actually save ~$5M minus whatever his 2023 cap hit is if they manage to re-sign him before his contract voids.

Finally, the Packers don't have to trade Aaron Rodgers.  If you want Rodgers, you're going to give up value to get him.  Not just your scraps.

I think the value we’ve talked about is pretty accurate and I think our FO would be willing to do that price. 

• Like 1

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think the value we’ve talked about is pretty accurate and I think our FO would be willing to do that price. 

Agreed.  I think it's in the ballpark.  It's either 13 plus a conditional '24 pick based on team success and/or similar to the trade I proposed.