2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

16 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Brady getting done means 1 less QB out there. Zach Wilson not even putting up top 30 QB numbers just crushes this team so bad. Aaron Rodgers price just went up. I was hoping Brady go to the Raiders and just leave the Jets for Rodgers. We miss Rodgers then Carr is my next guy I want. 

I think it’s 3 days after the SB on when LV has to decide to trade or cut Carr. So there is a timeframe here. I expect us to try and have talks to GB before then to have a gage on the situation. If GB and us are far away on price. I expect us to turn to Carr. I have a feeling some talks have already started. Not sure what GMs and all are in Mobile… but can’t imagine no talks are being had while down there.

19 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

1 year removed is glory years?  There are legit reasons for his slight decline last year not just decline due to age?

Could be.  Or it could be because he is in decline.  Not many QB's play well into their 40's.  I can only think of TB and Philip Rivers (39) off the top of my head.  However, the list of QB's that began to decline, in some cases precipitously, after their mid-30's is much longer.  Again, off the top of my head Matty Ice, Big Ben, ?.  Then their are players like Brees and Peyton who were not garbage but were not what they used to be.  I place Rodgers in this category. 

Rodgers would be better than any QB we have had since Namath or Favre.  But, and here is where the pro-Rodgers camp differs and the anti-Rodgers camp differs, Rodgers is most likely not going to be playing like Rodgers of 2021.  History backs that up.  Is it a foregone conclusion that he will not bounce back?  Of course not, but the odds are against this.  But even if he was 80% of his 2021 season, that would be awesome for us.  Maybe not enough by himself to get us to the dance but certainly playoffs where anything can happen.  This leads us to the second issue against Rodgers - how long will he play?

He has been playing the retirement game for a year or two now.  He is older and it takes longer to recover both physically, mentally and emotionally.  He may decide to hang it up this year, in which case, this is all a moot point.  Chances are he may want another shot with another team that is close, like the Jets.  But what about 2024 and beyond?  What about his cap hit if he decides not to play?

It is for those issues that Rodgers is a bigger gamble than Carr or Jimmy G (who you really underestimate) or Jones.  All 4 of those QB's will play well enough on this Jets team to get us to the playoffs.  I would just rather have more security beyond this season of knowing who my QB will be.

53 minutes ago, xrade said:

Could be.  Or it could be because he is in decline.  Not many QB's play well into their 40's.  I can only think of TB and Philip Rivers (39) off the top of my head.  However, the list of QB's that began to decline, in some cases precipitously, after their mid-30's is much longer.  Again, off the top of my head Matty Ice, Big Ben, ?.  Then their are players like Brees and Peyton who were not garbage but were not what they used to be.  I place Rodgers in this category. 

Rodgers would be better than any QB we have had since Namath or Favre.  But, and here is where the pro-Rodgers camp differs and the anti-Rodgers camp differs, Rodgers is most likely not going to be playing like Rodgers of 2021.  History backs that up.  Is it a foregone conclusion that he will not bounce back?  Of course not, but the odds are against this.  But even if he was 80% of his 2021 season, that would be awesome for us.  Maybe not enough by himself to get us to the dance but certainly playoffs where anything can happen.  This leads us to the second issue against Rodgers - how long will he play?

He has been playing the retirement game for a year or two now.  He is older and it takes longer to recover both physically, mentally and emotionally.  He may decide to hang it up this year, in which case, this is all a moot point.  Chances are he may want another shot with another team that is close, like the Jets.  But what about 2024 and beyond?  What about his cap hit if he decides not to play?

It is for those issues that Rodgers is a bigger gamble than Carr or Jimmy G (who you really underestimate) or Jones.  All 4 of those QB's will play well enough on this Jets team to get us to the playoffs.  I would just rather have more security beyond this season of knowing who my QB will be.

I’ll try and ask you this question and it might give me the answer I’m looking for.

Which do you think the odds are higher of these 2 things happening?

Rodgers playing like he has for his whole career for us if traded? Given he will have a healthy hand, better weapons and coach he’s proven 100% under. There’d be little to no learning curve.

or

Jimmy G looking good in a different system (it’s a tad similar) but without Deebo (a top 10 WR), Kittle (a top 3 TE), McCaffrey (when healthy a top 3 RB) Aiyuk (a top 5 2nd WR). Him staying healthy (which is rarely brought up about him, paying him 25mill when often injured). And without top Offensive brains coaching him?

I’d place my bet all day on the guy that’s proven under our OC, has never had a bad season, is durable, has an uptick in talent coming here (not a downgrade) and has won a SB and a lot of playoff games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

For me it’s what you’re getting though.

Rodgers is an elite QB that will make all our young players around him better. And for me at least has us in SB contention. Not just playoff contention.

With Jimmy G I think a huge part of his success is the system and guys around him. I don’t think he on his own is this good QB. I see him more along average to above average. So for a lower cap hit for next year and just a slightly higher one in 2024 you can get an elite QB instead of an average one. Yes I’m well aware that we would have dead cap after that (who knows… Rodgers could still play after 2 years as well). And as I pointed out. We know what Rodgers can do with our OC. No question marks there. We have no clue how Jimmy would do. So I’m not too fond of giving a guy a big contract that I think is more a product of a system with star players all around him. I’d much rather give then money and picks to the sure thing QB.

Yeah Rodgers would be ideal but like I said I can see why Jimmy G is appealing also. 

The hiring of Hackett and trading for Rodgers would make the offense legit. We know this because he’s just had two MVP’s to back it up. However the more time goes on and listening to the reports I don’t think we will get him. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

Is this a retweet from last year?  I'll believe it when I see it.

No he is done. In the video Tom said this is it. He is not coming back. Like I said earlier him leaving means the price for Rodgers just went up. I'm with Bobby and think the Packs and Jets have already talked about picks and money if Rodgers comes back. Maybe there is a deal already done and they are just waiting. 

43 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

Yeah Rodgers would be ideal but like I said I can see why Jimmy G is appealing also. 

The hiring of Hackett and trading for Rodgers would make the offense legit. We know this because he’s just had two MVP’s to back it up. However the more time goes on and listening to the reports I don’t think we will get him. 

I’d welcome Jimmy if we couldn’t land Rodgers or Carr. He’s 100% better option than rolling with Wilson or bringing in a below average vet like Minshew or someone like that. But I don’t want to be a playoff team and that’s it. I want us to win a SB

• Like 2

2 hours ago, xrade said:

What good is security when the only thing you are securing is possibly a first round exit.  There's always another Jimmy G Kirk Cousins on the market to sign if Rodgers retires after 2024.  The fact that he may retire means compensation is likely to be lower compared to the talent.

I'll hinge my bets that Rodgers is closer to 2021 then 2022.  Just look at some of his throws and you can see he's still got it and was more hindered by the thumb and the WRs until Watson started to come around down the stretch.  If we have to eat some dead money in 2025 we'll deal with it then but we are essentially punting the next few years if we go the Jimmy G route which I'm not ok with.  I am not under rating him he's done nothing outside of the Shanny system in which every QB is practically plug and play which has been proven time and time again in SF.

I could buy into Carr as a fall back but Jimmy shouldn't even be an option.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Rodgers playing like he has for his whole career for us if traded? Given he will have a healthy hand, better weapons and coach he’s proven 100% under. There’d be little to no learning curve.

You are completely dismissing a large portion of the anti-Rodgers case.  You are so convinced on Rodgers winning us a SB this season that you fail to look at anything else. 

15 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Kyle Shanahan was the guy I wanted when we hired Bowles. Guys thought he was too young but that dude knows the game from both sides so well. 

Yeah, he's easily one of my favorite coaches in football.  If we suck next season and fire Saleh, I think our roster will be appealing to a top coaching candidate this time. I'm rooting for Saleh to be the guy, but I need him to prove he can own the offense. 

49 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d welcome Jimmy if we couldn’t land Rodgers or Carr. He’s 100% better option than rolling with Wilson or bringing in a below average vet like Minshew or someone like that. But I don’t want to be a playoff team and that’s it. I want us to win a SB

I honestly can't get behind Jimmy G.  I want no part of him.

Give me White on the cheap and a guy in the draft (mid rounder).  I hate the idea of Jimmy.

7 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I'd like Jimmy if he could stay healthy. It's going to be a waste to pay him for 2 games and end up playing the same QBs we just played last season.

I'd still hate him due to his inflated numbers in that scheme and with those weapons but his injury history practically makes him unsignable.

I think Jimmy only makes sense if you swing and miss on Rodgers, Lamar, and Carr. He's not horrible but I think to come away with him at QB this offseason would be pretty disappointing. He's proven he's nothing special and can not stay healthy. I would've liked the move better if Lafleur was still OC as he's familiar with the system. I don't think it really makes all that much sense anymore. With all of that being said he's without a doubt an upgrade over what we've had for the past 10-15 years.