2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

I just read an interesting article regarding what a team needs to be a SB contender.  The list compiled by Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks seems relevant:

1 franchise quarterback

3 offensive linemen

3 offensive playmakers

2 pass rushers

3 defensive playmakers

If that is true, we should be fairly close this year.  This is with the assumption we get that good QB (or in the case of Rodgers - a ******* GREAT QB).  Assuming that, all we need is the OL to come together.  We have AVT.  As for the rest it is going to take some work by JD and luck that Becton and Mitchell are healthy and play like we hope.

Where I disagree a bit with this line of thinking is the OL needing only 3 quality players.  If the other two suck, it makes the OL as a whole weaker.  Tomlinson is a major issue in our case.  If JD resigns McG (doubtful) that is another weak spot.

17 minutes ago, xrade said:

I just read an interesting article regarding what a team needs to be a SB contender.  The list compiled by Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks seems relevant:

1 franchise quarterback

3 offensive linemen

3 offensive playmakers

2 pass rushers

3 defensive playmakers

If that is true, we should be fairly close this year.  This is with the assumption we get that good QB (or in the case of Rodgers - a ******* GREAT QB).  Assuming that, all we need is the OL to come together.  We have AVT.  As for the rest it is going to take some work by JD and luck that Becton and Mitchell are healthy and play like we hope.

Where I disagree a bit with this line of thinking is the OL needing only 3 quality players.  If the other two suck, it makes the OL as a whole weaker.  Tomlinson is a major issue in our case.  If JD resigns McG (doubtful) that is another weak spot.

It's deeper than that though. A franchise or great QB makes the OL better by knowing when to get rid of the ball and having to make teams respect the pass. In turn making the run game better and the OLineman look better bc the box isn't stacked. A franchise or great QB also makes the skill position players better. I'll continue to stand by that if we can get a Rodgers or Carr that GW is a top 10 WR in this league. We'd see Moore be a huge weapons out of the slot and Conklin and Uzo able to catch more passes rather than block. Hall, Carter and Knight all good receiving backs work in space.

On defense we just saw how much better our pass rush was last year. Yes we got Lawson back and had some young talent. But overall it was a lot to do with the secondary being great and allowing the pass rush to get there. We have lots of young talent in the DL and secondary. They should only get better and better.

The thing we lack at the moment is playmakers on defense. There was a huge drop off from when we were winning in us creating turnovers to when we started losing and we stopped creating turnovers. Our QB didn't help with us always losing the turnover margin late. But with better QB play (meaning less turnovers) it should only help. But we do still lack that ballhawk and strip sack threat. But we have the potential there. I expect Sauce and Reed to want to up that INT rate.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It's deeper than that though. A franchise or great QB makes the OL better by knowing when to get rid of the ball and having to make teams respect the pass. In turn making the run game better and the OLineman look better bc the box isn't stacked.

I don't care who the QB is, he ain't helping this:

Or this:

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

New system and better QB play might help. He's proven. So not so quick to give up on him. Much like Whitehead. 

Tomlinson was so bad though last year it looked like he just didn't even care. I hope we take a guard on day 3 and Laken has a short leash. For what he is getting paid, maybe the worst bang for buck guard in the entire league right now. 

Just now, Bobby816 said:

New system and better QB play might help. He's proven. So not so quick to give up on him. Much like Whitehead. 

He was proven for a year or two next to great OL on SF.  There is a reason Detroit ditched him and if he was so great, why did SF let him walk?  Again, a great QB is not helping what we saw in those video clips.  Tomlinson sucks and if he needs a HOF OT and OC next to him, he still sucks.

Sadly we are stuck with him and I hope he gets his head out of his *** and plays better.  Heaven help him if Rodgers comes here and Tomlinson gives up plays like in the clips.  If JD was smart, he will make sure there is a quality backup OG on the roster (Herbig?).  If Saleh is smart, he won't continue to trot him out there if there is a viable replacement.

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Tomlinson was so bad though last year it looked like he just didn't even care. I hope we take a guard on day 3 and Laken has a short leash. For what he is getting paid, maybe the worst bang for buck guard in the entire league right now. 

We resign Herbig and for me he did enough to put that pressure on Laken. AVT has no problem sliding over to LG and letting Herbig start at RG if Tomlinson cant improve. But I'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt bc I don't think he's washed up and has lost it. I think we will see better play from him this season.

Not at all saying he wasn't awful last year, bc he was. I'm just willing to try it again with him. Like I am with Whiteahead with a better S next to him. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

We resign Herbig and for me he did enough to put that pressure on Laken. AVT has no problem sliding over to LG and letting Herbig start at RG if Tomlinson cant improve. But I'm still going to give him the benefit of the doubt bc I don't think he's washed up and has lost it. I think we will see better play from him this season.

Not at all saying he wasn't awful last year, bc he was. I'm just willing to try it again with him. Like I am with Whiteahead with a better S next to him. 

As I said, we are stuck with him so I am pulling for him.  I just hope Saleh has a quick hook.  As for Whitehead, I never really thought he was a great S.  Prior to signing him, TB posters were saying he was not very good.  I shrugged it off but maybe they were right.  However, having Joyner as your compatriot back there would make even Ronnie Lott look bad.

• Like 1

Scott Berman, the owner of Sky Cave Retreats in southern Oregon, reported to Thai that Rodgers left the facilities on Wednesday. Ordinarily, this would be non-news, but Rodgers is on record saying he hopes to have a decision on his playing future soon after the conclusion of his retreat. With the Packers reportedly ready to move on from Rodgers, and several teams interested in acquiring him, it seems unlikely Rodgers will be playing in Green Bay in 2023. However, before any trades can be entertained, Rodgers first needs to confirm his intent to play next season. The 39-year-old quarterback is entertained retirement over the last several offseasons, but it wouldn't surprise anybody if he opts to return for another run. 

Looks like things will happen soon.

It wouldn’t surprise me if he’s back has told GB his plans and if it’s a trade for them to be quiet on it. And try and make a trade happen asap. I’m sure both GB and Rodgers want this move to be swift. So wouldn’t surprise me if we hear about him leaving via trade. And the news is exactly that. That he told GB today he would like to move on on GB spent these next few days getting the best offer they could. And then the whole thing being announced.

7 hours ago, xrade said:

1 franchise quarterback

3 offensive linemen

3 offensive playmakers

2 pass rushers

3 defensive playmakers

Looks at the chiefs roster.  Nope 

7 hours ago, xrade said:

I don't care who the QB is, he ain't helping this:

Or this:

There was so much of this that went unnoticed all because the media kept harping on Wilson. 

Tomlinson was awful and every other OL besides AVT was inconsistent. There's a reason Saleh fired the OL Coach.