2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

The report on Lamar is apparently that BAL is looking to put the non exclusive franchise tag on him. Which means he gets to talk to other teams. He picks what contract he likes and that contract gets brought back to BAL. They can either match that offer or say you can have him. But it costs the team getting him 2 1st rounders.

You paying Jackson a huge salary and giving up 2 1st rounders?

I'm not totally sold at that price. With his style of play and coming off injury.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I just find it so baffling for a team like us that hasn't had a QB in forever (longer than any fan base) has so many of the fan base against getting Derek Carr.

Carr doesn't make us contenders IMO - he's not going toe-to-toe with Mahomes, Burrow or Allen, which is effectively what you'd have to hope for when you give a guy ~$40m.

The next best thing is to build a contending roster, try and win by having the better team and dictating the game with a different brand of football. It's not ideal, but there's a blueprint there to both win now while building sustainable success.

No interest in settling for QB purgatory, which is how I see it with Carr + a limited roster, looking up at these great young QBs in our conference. 

I think ultimately the goal over the next 3-5 years is to find our long term franchise qb. Great if it’s Zach but more than likely we will need to develop one. 

For the interim I’m giving us 3-5 years to build a playoff calibre team and have a qb who we win ‘because of’ not ‘in spite’ of. 

For that reason alone I would go after Lamar. He gives us a difference maker at qb to go along with our young and talented squad. Let JD use his time on rounding out the roster and not have the QB conundrum hanging over our head.

Carr doesn’t move the needle for me. Would he be an upgrade….sure but that’s not saying much.

However….would you rather 

1. Mike White $10m a year

2. Derek Carr $40m a year and giving up multiple mid level picks. 

For me in this scenario I’d rather develop and build an offseason around Mike White. Not just let him come in with no practice and expect great results. This isn’t a case of who’s a better qb it’s the $30m in cap space we’d have to improve the o-line plus the draft picks. 

Someone on the level of Lamar is different as he’s a genuine franchise qb and elite playmaker. Carr is not. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I just find it so baffling for a team like us that hasn't had a QB in forever (longer than any fan base) has so many of the fan base against getting Derek Carr.

Because it's a false hope, I don't want the jets to be Tennessee when they got Tannehill. I want the jets to be KC, BUF, Cincy, LA. I want a young franchise QB that will bring sustainable success and a real chance to win a Superbowl every year. SF was in the same position many jets fans are clamoring for and they traded away a haul to draft a young guy who they thought could be a young franchise QB.

16 minutes ago, Mattmanz said:

Because it's a false hope, I don't want the jets to be Tennessee when they got Tannehill. I want the jets to be KC, BUF, Cincy, LA. I want a young franchise QB that will bring sustainable success and a real chance to win a Superbowl every year. SF was in the same position many jets fans are clamoring for and they traded away a haul to draft a young guy who they thought could be a young franchise QB.

How many times have we tried to get a young franchise. QB, Snith, Sanchez, Darnold,& Wilson, and we failed every time. If you can tell me where one is this year please tell us don't keep it a secret.

Free Agent List

Pass Rusher (situational to take the Huff role while he gets a bigger role, cut Lawson)

Yannick Ngokwe (whatever)

Brandon Graham

Arden Key

Safety

Jessie Bates

Jordan Poyer

Vonn Bell

Chauncey Gardner-Johnson

Jimmie Ward

Linebacker

Tremaine Edmunds

Deion Jones

Drue Tranquill

TJ Edwards

Defensive Tackle (run stopper, Q can be the penetrator)

Poona Ford

Could easily see us grabbing a FA S and LB plus drafting one each.

59 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

The next best thing is to build a contending roster, try and win by having the better team and dictating the game with a different brand of football.

Agreed but QB is the prime “team” need. Carr would be a step in that direction while still adding to the rest of the team. You can sub Carr with Jimmy G, Tannehill or Danny Dimes if you like but it needs to happen. None of those QB will be the three you mentioned but we also beat Buffalo once this seaso and could have beaten them twice if we had a QB. 

43 minutes ago, KimuraGod said:

For that reason alone I would go after Lamar. He gives us a difference maker at qb to go along with our young and talented squad.

As a passer, is Lamar better than the aforementioned QB’s?  Please say no because that is fact. Lamar wins with his legs and Baltimore’s system designed around that. It has worked. But now it is time to realize that does not work for Lamar anymore. Those hits are piling up. He wants to be paid to QB money and it will cost tow FRP’s. Lamar will set this team back for a few years. Yes, he may entertain the first year but I don’t see anything but an average QB making top $ and hurting our drafting ability. 

34 minutes ago, Mattmanz said:

I want a young franchise QB that will bring sustainable success and a real chance to win a Superbowl every year.

And who would that be?  We have all been jonesing for that for decades. Still waiting. Perhaps it is time to develop a young QB like Wilson or whomever while having a starting caliber QB that can win us games on this team starting this year. We are in win now mode. Waiting for a rookie or Zach to develop by playing is hurting everyone else. Not every team can draft a Herbert or Burrow that can start year one and have them in the playoffs year two. 

15 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

How many times have we tried to get a young franchise. QB, Snith, Sanchez, Darnold,& Wilson, and we failed every time. If you can tell me where one is this year please tell us don't keep it a secret.

You develop and draft until you find one. We can’t just throw these kids out every 2 years. 

I would draft a QB in every round every year until I found one lol

Here's my argument against Lamar, costing 2023-2025 firsts and a huge contract.  This plan is obviously great on paper, but it doesn't always unfold.  That's the risk.  But Lamar is a greater risk:

1. 2023 1st- draft OL

2. Veteran QB to provide stability, leadership

3. Day 2-3 draft similar style QB Hendon Hooker and let him sit

4. 2024 1st- draft whatever we need to support QB/offense

5. 2025 1st- Hooker already started or maybe this is first year, draft whatever we need to support again

We can still improve the OL and replace any weapons with Lamar, but then we may have to start sacrificing guys on defense.  The 3 draft picks plus cap room will go a longer way.  Hooker can run a similar style offense.  Breece and Knight/Carter will be well established by then and GW will be a top WR in the league.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Because he’s not taking us anywhere. I mean how can’t people who want him see that. 

Bc I saw garbage QB play get us to 7-4. And fall off. A good QB wins 3-4 more games to finish the year and put us in the playoffs. We have a D and run game when healthy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NJC33 said:

Carr doesn't make us contenders IMO - he's not going toe-to-toe with Mahomes, Burrow or Allen, which is effectively what you'd have to hope for when you give a guy ~$40m.

The next best thing is to build a contending roster, try and win by having the better team and dictating the game with a different brand of football. It's not ideal, but there's a blueprint there to both win now while building sustainable success.

No interest in settling for QB purgatory, which is how I see it with Carr + a limited roster, looking up at these great young QBs in our conference. 

I get that. Of course we'd all love a franchise QB that's young and can be our QB for 10-15 years. But where's that coming from? Where should we have any confidence that Wilson or any QB we'd draft would be that? Give me the proven guy.

I'm not exactly a huge fan of trading multiple 1st and paying Jackson. But at least you know what he is. We've seen what Wilson is. We've never been a franchise that hits on QB. This isn't a different regime and we should give them a chance. It's the same regime that drafted Wilson, who in fact has been arguably the worst starter in the whole NFL for 2 seasons. So I have 0 confidence that he 1. turns his career around. Or that we can get it right drafting another QB. 

Ya I'm all set on Lamar being the QB here. I still think JD has a very surprise move on a QB. I don't think it will be Lamar, Carr, Jimmy G or any of those guys. I think they make a bigger move.

1. Kyler Murray- I think the Cards would move him with the right price. I know they are saying they are letting him put his opinion on who will be the HC but they have now hired the GM. You offer a good package Murray could be here.

2. Justin Fields- I think they trade Fields and draft Bryce Young. Would the jets trade for him. This could be another option.

3. Kirk Cousins - I think Minn might move on from him. You could see a Tom Brady, aaron Rodgers coming to Minn. the jets might go after him

4. Brock Purdy - I would make him the QB of the 49ers but they still want Lance as their guy. Brock could be had for the right price and knows the system. 

I think the jets end up with one of these guys that no one is talimg about. This seems like a JD type move.