2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

Lamar Jackson is in the same bucket as Carr. He’s not taking us anywhere either. One playoff win, bad playoff numbers. Even his MVP season they got the one seed and they lose their first playoff game scoring 12 points and he threw multiple picks. Now you have to factor in the injuries. And it looks like he wants a Watson type deal.

Jimmy G has kind of faded into the background a bit, it depends how much he costs but he’s the most “stop gap” of the big names.

Edited by GangGreen420

31 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Bc I saw garbage QB play get us to 7-4. And fall off. A good QB wins 3-4 more games to finish the year and put us in the playoffs. We have a D and run game when healthy. 

This keeps getting said I’m not sure if guys don’t understand that it doesn’t work that way. Also Carr was not good this past season. 

Every QB in the final 8 has been drafted and developed by their teams. Do the work. Either develop Zach or draft a kid who can be on par with the best Quarterbacks in our conference. 

Remember when the Broncos thought they were a QB away? Now the Seahawks are picking 5th thanks to the Broncos.

Edited by KingOfNewYork

Just now, KingOfNewYork said:

Every QB in the final 8 has been drafted and developed by their teams. Do the work. Either develop Zach or draft a kid who can be on par with the best Quarterbacks in our division.

In a league with a hard salary cap this is definitely the way to sustain winning. We are just so bad at it.

16 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Every QB in the final 8 has been drafted and developed by their teams. Do the work. Either develop Zach or draft a kid who can be on par with the best Quarterbacks in our conference. 

Remember when the Broncos thought they were a QB away? Now the Seahawks are picking 5th thanks to the Broncos.

Ya they took Manning and won. LOL

Brett Favre did very well with the Vikings.

Jimmy G did well when he first went to the 49ers

Tom Brady going to Tampa

Matt Stafford to the Rams

I can go on and on. You can grab a stop gap QB that can bring a deep run or the championship. It all depends on if you have the right team and coach. 

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

How many times have we tried to get a young franchise. QB, Snith, Sanchez, Darnold,& Wilson, and we failed every time. If you can tell me where one is this year please tell us don't keep it a secret.

And if we sign Carr we still won't have a young franchise QB. 

1 hour ago, xrade said:

As a passer, is Lamar better than the aforementioned QB’s?  Please say no because that is fact. Lamar wins with his legs and Baltimore’s system designed around that. It has worked. But now it is time to realize that does not work for Lamar anymore. Those hits are piling up. He wants to be paid to QB money and it will cost tow FRP’s. Lamar will set this team back for a few years. Yes, he may entertain the first year but I don’t see anything but an average QB making top $ and hurting our drafting ability. 

The game is so much more than who can throw the best pass. Zach was supposed to have this terrific arm who can make all the throws. Remember the ‘experts’ who were blowing eachother off at his pro day. Means **** all when the game starts. 

Lamar gives you options and plays that no other qb we’ve had could do. He had a very high drop date and a mismatch of receivers. They even traded his #1 WR away. 

You mention the draft capital….but look at the dreadful first round picks we’ve had over the last 12yrs and tell me you wouldn’t have traded two of them away for a franchise qb. 

Lamar could come here with an elite talented receiver group and alongside Breece have the best running game in football. Add that to a top 5 defense and it’s a recipe for success. 

This is not to say we can’t win by going with other options but that’s the avenue I would take and I actually think it’s less risky than drafting a new qb or going for a bang average qb like Carr.  

37 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

And not a single one of those guys while being developed looked as bad as Wilson.

Thats the difference. 

17 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Ya they took Manning and won. LOL

Brett Favre did very well with the Vikings.

Jimmy G did well when he first went to the 49ers

Tom Brady going to Tampa

Matt Stafford to the Rams

I can go on and on. You can grab a stop gap QB that can bring a deep run or the championship. It all depends on if you have the right team and coach. 

Also Carr is 31 not 37. He’s not a 1 year fix. He’s be here for at least 3 season likely.

• Like 1

Mark mother effing Sanchez won 4 playoff games in 2 years on the road...Nick Foles took an Eagles team to a super bowl and won and league average QBs wont take us anywhere? Make changes on the OL and middle of the defense and we'll be able to compete with the best even with a mid QB. 

The biggest reason I dont want Lamar is because while he may be very good, he absolutely hurts our ability to get better in our areas of glaring weakness. Not to mention his style of play is an injury risk at all times. 

Now I think Lamar is a heck of a player and even his passing is a little underrated at times. Incredible athlete and I admit it would be a lot of fun. $45m-$50m a year an 2 firsts for someone who is far from an elite passer though scares me. Also if he has PCL surgery you can absolutely forget it. Too much risk.

Carr isn't anything special but he at WORST can lead and manage a solid offense built around the run game without hurting us and complimenting it with a decent passing game that we have been far from. Is he mid? Sure. We don't have a top 32 guy on the roster right now. Right now if Zach Wilson or Mike White was mid we would be building statues. He is still a substantial upgrade. I dont even love the guy but some of you have defended Zach to the ends of the earth but want to dump on Derek Carr? Man this fanbase is as broken as the organization.

Also this notion that whoever plays QB has to go toe to toe with others. Not how this game works. Build the best overall team you can and play complimentary football. Not mono y mono with the other teams QB. 

I want a veteran here, but I still want to draft guys outside of the first day and actually try and develop them. Let them get reps in practice and watch how another processes and reads the D for the sideline. Not saying that guy will be our guy, but we have to change the way we develop QBs.

Edited by ekill08x
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Mark mother effing Sanchez won 4 playoff games in 2 years on the road...Nick Foles took an Eagles team to a super bowl and won and league average QBs wont take us anywhere? Make changes on the OL and middle of the defense and we'll be able to compete with the best even with a mid QB. 

The biggest reason I dont want Lamar is because while he may be very good, he absolutely hurts our ability to get better in our areas of glaring weakness. Not to mention his style of play is an injury risk at all times. 

Now I think Lamar is a heck of a player and even his passing is a little underrated at times. Incredible athlete and I admit it would be a lot of fun. $45m-$50m a year an 2 firsts for someone who is far from an elite passer though scares me. Also if he has PCL surgery you can absolutely forget it. Too much risk.

Carr isn't anything special but he at WORST can lead and manage a solid offense built around the run game without hurting us and complimenting it with a decent passing game that we have been far from. Is he mid? Sure. We don't have a top 32 guy on the roster right now. Right now if Zach Wilson or Mike White was mid we would be building statues. He is still a substantial upgrade. I dont even love the guy but some of you have defended Zach to the ends of the earth but want to dump on Derek Carr? Man this fanbase is as broken as the organization.

Also this notion that whoever plays QB has to go toe to toe with others. Not how this game works. Build the best overall team you can and play complimentary football. Not mono y mono with the other teams QB. 

I want a veteran here, but I still want to draft guys outside of the first day and actually try and develop them. Let them get reps in practice and watch how another processes and reads the D for the sideline. Not saying that guy will be our guy, but we have to change the way we develop QBs.

I don't think anyone is saying go get a guy like Carr and that's it. I can only speak for myself... but I'd love the idea of signing Carr to a few year deal and drafting a guy in the 2024 draft to develop. I wouldn't waste a 2023 pick on one since we'd have Carr and Wilson. 

• Like 1

If Wilson or White performed the way Carr did even last year, we wouldn't be looking for a QB right now. Carr would be statistically be the greatest QB in our Franchise History. He's not a 1-2 year gap player. His drop off came under a new system.  Before that he was throwing 4k+ yards with at least 67%CMP and the only passing target he had that would start for us would be Waller. For the past few years, he was asked to outscore teams like the Chargers and Chiefs with one of the worst defenses in the league. I tried to look for a reason why I wouldn't want Carr and couldn't find one. 

As for LJ, I understand injury fears.  The truth is, if Lamar couldn't run, they wouldn't be a playoff team. it has nothing to do with his passing, it's the surrounding he has had for years. Bateman and Dobbins are not healthy enough to be considered factors. It's just Mark Andrews. I love the Ravens as a franchise, but they did a terrible job of building that offense. The defense wasn't good until they traded for Smith. The only teams Lamar lost to were playoff teams. 3/4 teams are still in the playoffs now. With us, I don't think he'll have to run nearly as much if we pair with the right OC. Defenses aren't worried about getting beat by Robinson, Duvernay, and K.Drake. LJ kept them alive. 

I'm not saying no to neither of these two. There are other QBs I'm open to if we miss out, but they will remain on the top of my list. This feels like a potential Drew Brees situation before joining New Orleans.  Olson, Monken, Joe Brady, and Marcus Brady are my favorite OCs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Yes and our coaching staff is still unproven. What happens when we trade 3 1sts and end up in the top 5 because of coaching or a Jackson injury?

Our next QB is NOT our answer. Our next QB is here for leadership and stability while we develop someone.