2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

23 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Haven't been reading this board. Are you all really not on board with Lamar?

He has balky knees that has caused him to miss game the past two seasons. He is a weapon as a runner less so as a passer. He will want top QB money. He will require at least two FRP’s. So no thanks. 

1 hour ago, KimuraGod said:

I should clarify I want absolutely NO part of Minshew or Tannehill or some other bang average qb. If we went down that road we should just resign Mike White as I’d actually prefer him to some of the names mentioned. 

Like I have said multiple times. The issue with Carr is the draft capital cost in getting him and the $40m a year he’s on. For $40m I want a game changer at qb. Carr has his numbers but they can be attributed to stat padding and other metrics.

He’s not passed the eye test for me when I have watched him (admittedly that’s not often) and he’s never shown playoff calibre ability. All these guys can look good when the games not on the line. 

For the deals involved I would go after Lamar but if we went for a cheaper alternative then I don’t see enough difference between giving Mike White the full offseason and then the Jimmy G/Carr scenarios.

1. Trade two first round picks plus a $40m a year deal for Lamar

2. Sign Jimmy G to a $20-25m a year deal

3. Sign Mike White to a modest $7-10m a year contract.

4. Trade a second or multiple mid rounders for Carr and his $40m deal. 

Out of the four options how would you rank them?

All these guys can look good when the game's not on the line is false in Carr's case.

He has 33 game winning drives since he entered the league. Which is the best in the whole NFL in that time frame. So in fact he's one of the most clutch QB in his era given his situation. So he's on another level.

I also don't think the cost is what you think it will be trade wise. I don't see Carr going for a 2nd and multiple mid rounders.

I think a mid rounder this year and a mid rounder next year get it done. He can force his way to a team that he wants remember. Let's say he wants to be a Jet for example. NE calls and offers a 2nd and a 3rd for him. But he doesn't want to play there bc they have no WRs. He has a no trade clause and denies the move. We call and offer a 4th in 2023 and a 3rd in 2024. And he says he'd accept that trade. Obviously NEs offer is better. But he rejected that move. And LV will take anything he'll accept bc that benefits them rather than just releasing him. 

Best Carr can do is to not prevail which team he wants to play for.  Full No Trade Clause in effect until he gets released.    That is why I don't see Raiders should gamble on his 40.4m pick up to find a trade partner later.

He will be released within 3 days of Super Bowl. Otherwise, Raiders are stuck with him.

Edited by JetsandI

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

All these guys can look good when the game's not on the line is false in Carr's case.

He has 33 game winning drives since he entered the league. Which is the best in the whole NFL in that time frame. So in fact he's one of the most clutch QB in his era given his situation. So he's on another level.

I also don't think the cost is what you think it will be trade wise. I don't see Carr going for a 2nd and multiple mid rounders.

I think a mid rounder this year and a mid rounder next year get it done. He can force his way to a team that he wants remember. Let's say he wants to be a Jet for example. NE calls and offers a 2nd and a 3rd for him. But he doesn't want to play there bc they have no WRs. He has a no trade clause and denies the move. We call and offer a 4th in 2023 and a 3rd in 2024. And he says he'd accept that trade. Obviously NEs offer is better. But he rejected that move. And LV will take anything he'll accept bc that benefits them rather than just releasing him. 

Fair enough on the game winning drives. I won’t take that away from him. I saw the one against us a few years ago on the home run pass to Ruggs. But like I said when I have watched him he’s been unimpressive. 

I would be more on board with Carr as a FA but the draft capital and contract seems so expensive for his talent. Anyway I’m happy to get behind whoever we go for as long as we be decisive and not go for some washed up backup journeyman.  

7 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Wild. I'd absolutely love to have Lamar. I think he's a lot better of a passer than he's getting credit for here, and he'd have the best receiving talent of his career with the Jets.

We have 1 WR. Davis likely cut and is very unreliable even if not cut. Moore is a huge question mark. We have no idea what he is at this point. Mims sucks. Anyone who thinks otherwise at this point is lying to themselves. Berrios should be cut hes absolutely useless. This is a run the ball first team. Not giving up much needed picks for a QB whose best asset by far is also running and then paying him a premium. I do agree that his passing is probably being underrated, but its certainly not worth what the cost will be. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

Wild. I'd absolutely love to have Lamar. I think he's a lot better of a passer than he's getting credit for here, and he'd have the best receiving talent of his career with the Jets.

I don’t think he’s a bad passer. But you take away his legs as being a threat as he gets older and those windows he has that are wide open bc teams have to factor for him in the run game close a ton. His game isn’t built to get better

49 minutes ago, Sandwhich2 said:

The Ravens are supposed to be a top franchise and they are extremely well coached and always have a pretty talented defense.. they’ve won one playoff game with Lamar. His playoff numbers aren’t good. His MVP year they got the first seed  and got bounced putting up 12 points and he threw more picks than TDs. I don’t think he ever approaches his 2019 season again.

then there’s the fact that the Ravens are letting him go. Whether it’s injuries, the stuff he was tweeting at fans, the money, whatever it may be, that’s a huge red flag IMO. Ironic the last time he played the Jets were 7-4.

Not worth the picks and making him the highest paid player. Also hamstrings the future regime should Saleh not work out here.

Edited by GangGreen420