2023 Off-season Talk

Bobby816

1 hour ago, jetjuice said:

You need to stop assuming that A) he's even gonna play for 2 more years, B) that he's going to play at a high level, and C) that this instantly makes us Super Bowl contenders. It does NOT. We still need to get out of our bottom dweller position in the AFCE and form a roster that can beat Cincy and KC in the playoffs. He wasn't even above .500 in GB this past year.

Rodgers is a shell of his old self, he has one foot out the door to retirement, and he's going to say all the wrong things in the media to make himself public enemy #1 when things go wrong.

So no, I would not move a first round pick. I would continue to build thru the draft like the remaining 4 playoff teams did with their QBs.

Rodgers is one year removed from back to back MVP seasons. Last year he had the worst supporting cast in the league, a broken thumb and a revolving door at OL 1st half of the season. Rodgers with your receivers, Breece Hall and a top defense would be at very worst top 3 Super Bowl contender. You guys also wouldn't be paying him that much and since 2023 gonna be a rebuild year for us, I imagine we take on more of his contract in exchange for draft capital.

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

You need to stop assuming that A) he's even gonna play for 2 more years, B) that he's going to play at a high level, and C) that this instantly makes us Super Bowl contenders. It does NOT. We still need to get out of our bottom dweller position in the AFCE and form a roster that can beat Cincy and KC in the playoffs. He wasn't even above .500 in GB this past year.

Rodgers is a shell of his old self, he has one foot out the door to retirement, and he's going to say all the wrong things in the media to make himself public enemy #1 when things go wrong.

So no, I would not move a first round pick. I would continue to build thru the draft like the remaining 4 playoff teams did with their QBs.

That's why I think conditional picks are almost assuredly going to be involved.  I could easily see a situation where '24 and/or '25 picks are conditionally based on Rodgers' availability (both in terms of snap counts or on the roster) and/or team success.  And there's historical evidence that those deals are allowed.  I proposed the following trade in NFL General, and was curious to your guys' opinion on it.

Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

* For the '24 FRP, the pick is conditional on either Aaron Rodgers playing in 70% of the offensive snaps OR the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If both of those tresholds aren't met, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play a single snap in 2023, that traded pick wouldn't be dealt and remains with New York.  More on that in a minute.

** For the '25 FRP, the pick would be similar to that of the '24 pick but with less risk.  The pick would convey as a FRP if Rodgers played in 70%+ of the offensive snaps AND the Jets made the Super Bowl, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers plays in 50%+ of the offensive snaps and/or the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, the Jets wouldn't owe a pick.  Any other scenario would result in New York sending a 3rd round pick to Green Bay.

In the unlikely scenario that Rodgers would retire before the 2023 season, the Jets would be on the hook for $0 in dead cap and wouldn't owe any future picks to Green Bay.  The only "downside" of this deal would be moving down from #13 to #15, which is worth roughly an early 4th round pick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

That's why I think conditional picks are almost assuredly going to be involved.  I could easily see a situation where '24 and/or '25 picks are conditionally based on Rodgers' availability (both in terms of snap counts or on the roster) and/or team success.  And there's historical evidence that those deals are allowed.  I proposed the following trade in NFL General, and was curious to your guys' opinion on it.

Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

* For the '24 FRP, the pick is conditional on either Aaron Rodgers playing in 70% of the offensive snaps OR the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If both of those tresholds aren't met, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play a single snap in 2023, that traded pick wouldn't be dealt and remains with New York.  More on that in a minute.

** For the '25 FRP, the pick would be similar to that of the '24 pick but with less risk.  The pick would convey as a FRP if Rodgers played in 70%+ of the offensive snaps AND the Jets made the Super Bowl, the Jets would send a FRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers plays in 50%+ of the offensive snaps and/or the Jets make the playoffs, the Jets would send a SRP to Green Bay.  If Rodgers doesn't play for the Jets in 2024, the Jets wouldn't owe a pick.  Any other scenario would result in New York sending a 3rd round pick to Green Bay.

In the unlikely scenario that Rodgers would retire before the 2023 season, the Jets would be on the hook for $0 in dead cap and wouldn't owe any future picks to Green Bay.  The only "downside" of this deal would be moving down from #13 to #15, which is worth roughly an early 4th round pick.

Honestly not terrible.  We need this years 1 for our OL rebuild.  Almost ripped you until I saw 15 coming back our way.

I'm thinking more along the lines of 2023 2nd and 4th, plus 2024 2nd that becomes a 1st if we hit the playoffs or becomes a 3 if he retires.  Probably not enough for you but I don't know what kind of leverage you guys have with a 40 year old QB threatening to retire so I'll start low.

Whatever JD does I hope he just goes hog wild and sells out LAR style for a 2 year superbowl window.  If he hits pay dirt he's a legend and will get the chance to rebuild it all over again in 2025 with a long leach.  

It's worth it because if he doesn't hit the playoffs and/or more he's likely gone by 2025.  We are loaded with young cheap talent, don't blow it sell your soul and go all in.

25 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Whatever JD does I hope he just goes hog wild and sells out LAR style for a 2 year superbowl window.  If he hits pay dirt he's a legend and will get the chance to rebuild it all over again in 2025 with a long leach.  

It's worth it because if he doesn't hit the playoffs and/or more he's likely gone by 2025.  We are loaded with young cheap talent, don't blow it sell your soul and go all in.

The part I don’t like that’s rumored if we do get Rodgers is grabbing Cobb. Just let Moore play. Now if we want to go get Lazard… I’m for that. I’m good with cutting Davis and Berrios and adding Lazard. But I don’t want snaps taken away from Moore. I think with Rodgers is where we see GW become a #1 and Moore more like his rookie self and more.

The Rodgers trade works for so many reasons;

-Cap hit this year is less than $15.8m. Jimmy G or Carr would command perhaps double that salary. 

-Would be able to bring in some older vets looking for a ring on short term lower deals like TB and LA have done to great success. Odell Beckham comes to mind.  

-Gives Zach two years under his mentor to get better. Then he would have his fifth year option playing as a starter and we get to know what we have in him. 

-Propels Garrett Wilson into superstardom and gives us a legit home grown offensive superstar. Oh and Breece could follow suit. And Moore. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

I see what you're saying, but I'm not willing to trade two firsts for two years of Rodgers max.

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The part I don’t like that’s rumored if we do get Rodgers is grabbing Cobb. Just let Moore play. Now if we want to go get Lazard… I’m for that. I’m good with cutting Davis and Berrios and adding Lazard. But I don’t want snaps taken away from Moore. I think with Rodgers is where we see GW become a #1 and Moore more like his rookie self and more.

Moore will get so many catches with Rodgers. 🔥🔥

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Jets Receive:
QB Aaron Rodgers

Packers Receive:
'24 FRP (Conditional*)
'25 FRP (Conditional**)

That’s heavy mate. I don’t like giving up more than one first round pick. If the deal can be worked to trade for Rodgers BEFORE June that would enable you to not only get our first round pick this year (#13) but use the assets to improve your team now. 

If this drags on I genuinely think we make a move on Carr or Jimmy. The stars are aligned for everyone involved so I hope the deal gets done but I don’t want us to get ****ed over either on compensation. 

4 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Rodgers is one year removed from back to back MVP seasons. Last year he had the worst supporting cast in the league, a broken thumb and a revolving door at OL 1st half of the season. Rodgers with your receivers, Breece Hall and a top defense would be at very worst top 3 Super Bowl contender. You guys also wouldn't be paying him that much and since 2023 gonna be a rebuild year for us, I imagine we take on more of his contract in exchange for draft capital.

The Packers have a better all-around team than we do, and they are not even top 3 Super Bowl contenders. Hell they weren't even when they had Davante.

Anyone expecting Rodgers to improve upon last season here with us is going to be sorely disappointed. And if you call GB's o-line a revolving door, I have no idea what that makes us. 

The idea of mortgaging premium draft capital makes me sick.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Cutting Berrios hurts more than helps right now, too much guaranteed money on the table. Might as well keep.

5 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

The Packers have a better all-around team than we do, and they are not even top 3 Super Bowl contenders. Hell they weren't even when they had Davante.

Anyone expecting Rodgers to improve upon last season here with us is going to be sorely disappointed. And if you call GB's o-line a revolving door, I have no idea what that makes us. 

The idea of mortgaging premium draft capital makes me sick.

I disagree, Jets have a significantly better defense. Significantly better at skill positions. Unfamiliar with your OL but our OL was pretty weak until Bakh and Elgton recovered from torn ACLs.