Why Fire a Coach After One Year?

Bowler1215

Why would a team fire a coach during or after one year?  I understand Urban Meyer with Jacksonville a year or two ago, being very toxic and creating a toxic environment.  Lovie with Houston, Hackett with Denver, Steve Wilks with Arizona a few years ago we all fired either during or after one year.  Shouldn't they get at least two, unless their toxic or get into legal issues? 

Broncos have so much invested in Wilson they will do whatever they can to try and make that work, and it just wasn't happening with Hackett. Lovie never stood a chance, he was hired to fail - and then failed to fail in the last week of the season.

Culley, well he was simply screwed under the umbrella of "philosophical differences."

I think when a team gets a new coach it’s pretty apparent quickly if they are actually righting the ship or just hoping it doesn’t sink on their watch. 

They can change and develop, sure. But they aren’t like players. They are pretty set in their ways and you know what you’re getting a lot more clearly and quickly than you do with a player.

Edited by Dome

2 hours ago, Bowler1215 said:

Why would a team fire a coach during or after one year?  I understand Urban Meyer with Jacksonville a year or two ago, being very toxic and creating a toxic environment.  Lovie with Houston, Hackett with Denver, Steve Wilks with Arizona a few years ago we all fired either during or after one year.  Shouldn't they get at least two, unless their toxic or get into legal issues? 

Because sometime the fit isn't right, and rather than double down and try to shoehorn a fit, you just bite the bullet and move on. In the case of Hackett, it was clear the preparation, discipline, and results weren't there. It's a small sample size, but the team scored 29PPG in the last two games - two of the highest outputs of the year. Why keep him around when things aren't working just for the hell of it?

The model now is fail fast - recognize a lack of fit, admit it wasn’t the right decision and move on instead of trying to squeeze blood from a stone.

Specific to Lovie - stuff like this below means you’re a wrong culture fit for an industry that requires feedback from the worker bees on a weekly basis:

Lovie didn’t get a raw deal. Lovie didn’t adapt to what his team was telling him, and is now dealing with that fallout.

The days of the “father knows best” HC is done, you need somebody who can quickly adapt and conform to what the league is doing, while taking feedback from both players and coaches to continually refine your plans. Sticking with “your way” because it’s “your way” is a quick way to not get anywhere.

2 minutes ago, Dome said:

The NFL is antiquated, this has been my motto for decades. 

I think we’re seeing a gradual move to the other side of the spectrum. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that guys like Kyle Shanahan and Nick Sirriani are working out well, and old bodies such as Lovie and Ron Rivera aren’t. 

10 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think we’re seeing a gradual move to the other side of the spectrum. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that guys like Kyle Shanahan and Nick Sirriani are working out well, and old bodies such as Lovie and Ron Rivera aren’t. 

I’ve been way out of touch with the NFL this year but Rivera is one I would probably give a little more leeway than other old heads 

Just now, Dome said:

I’ve been way out of touch with the NFL this year but Rivera is one I would probably give a little more leeway than other old heads 

Rivera is beloved when his wild guesses just happen to work out. His is true chaos theory, he doesn’t seem like the type who relies on analytics or data when making his decisions.

I could be wrong though.

Just now, ET80 said:

Rivera is beloved when his wild guesses just happen to work out. His is true chaos theory, he doesn’t seem like the type who relies on analytics or data when making his decisions.

I could be wrong though.

You’re right from what I remember…

just also remembering how his players always seem to like him a lot which is half the battle sometimes for a struggling team 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dome said:

You’re right from what I remember…

just also remembering how his players always seem to like him a lot which is half the battle sometimes for a struggling team 

Oh yeah, that sort of YOLO stuff gets you loved by a locker room - but it’s not really sustainable as a strategy, it’s like basing your retirement portfolio on a bunch of unscratched lottery tickets.

8 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Oh yeah, that sort of YOLO stuff gets you loved by a locker room - but it’s not really sustainable as a strategy, it’s like basing your retirement portfolio on a bunch of unscratched lottery tickets.

IMO no Washington coach should go in with a sustainable strategy 

First thing I’d do is cut my punter and kicker and say “WE ARE GOING FOR IT! EVERY TIME BABY!”

and that’s the strategy. Pure stupidity so strong it can’t be stopped 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Dan Campbell is a guy who I feel like is finding success because he’s a hard working guy who loves his team and people like working for and with him 

I honestly think he’s kind of a simpleton with way less strategy and deep knowledge than other coaches 

but he knows how to make people play and coach hard 

• Like 2